D.I.Y. Gumtown GK 1 in - 2 out Splitter

Started by gumtown, May 19, 2020, 07:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Here is something I knocked together, since I now wish to use my GR-55 and SY-1000 at the same time.
Boutique GK stuff is hard to find in this corner of the globe,
so I had to resort to good old Kiwi DIY.

I used the schematic designed and posted on this site by our Admin Elantric

and re-used a broken GK cable, and had some spare 13 pin DIN in-line plugs,
and a 13 pin DIN chassis socket, and brought and aluminium project box and two compression glands.

This is what I made.

only if the box was just a little wider, i could have fitted locknuts to the glands, instead of having to glue them in.
The 13 pin socket holding bracket didn't quite work out as i planned either, but it does the job, and you can't see it with the lid on.

and just that one screw hole that didn't seem to be threaded correctly in the casting.

Initially it didn't work until I realized the DIN 13 plugs I used can be plugged in upside down.
After that initial panic, I found this works very well !!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

gumbo

QuoteInitially it didn't work until I realized the DIN 13 plugs I used can be plugged in upside down.
After that initial panic, I found this works very well !!

...yes, can be a pain in the Southern Hemisphere.....
:D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

billbax

Excellent job there gumtown!

I put together a GKP-2 cable a couple years back, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The in-line 13-pin socket conductor zig-zag connections were a nightmare, not to mention two 1n4148 diodes inside a 13-pin plug. :o

whippinpost91850

Toddantho

I like it!  I have been on a adventure through past up to present Gk devices lately .  I bought the vg88 used , then found a vg99 . I already had a gr55, which I will continue to use , but now I found an sy1000!
So looking at plotting the signal to use more machines at once.
I bought a US 20 , and started with that .Now I bought a y splitter from eBay.
My question is , if I am running the splitter on B side of US 20 , I shouldn't have to worry about the powered pin issues previously discussed , right? US 20 is only taking power from the A side?
So far though , I ran my splitter out of US 20 B side , and am getting good signal , but I tried the other half of splitter into my VGA 7 ( which I also got in the last year, ) but get nothing into that...
Still haven't received the sy1000 , but am I on the right track ?
I am loving the world of 13 pin , even if I need a cable vs wireless , it just offers so much!
Still  enjoying the 13 pin world !

Elantric

Id advise build any DIY custom GK 13 Y cable with the required steering diodes on S1, S2 pins 10,11  on all outputs

Toddantho

So the splitter I have appears to be a "combiner?" Only one signal can pass at a time . (1 male to 2 females ) I figured maybe it works in reverse. Nothing was mentioned in the description.
Just wondering how this is possible.
I think I might just get sixeightsound's gk splitter.

Elantric

Quote from: Toddantho on February 29, 2024, 01:05:58 PMSo the splitter I have appears to be a "combiner?" Only one signal can pass at a time . (1 male to 2 females ) I figured maybe it works in reverse. Nothing was mentioned in the description.
Just wondering how this is possible.
I think I might just get sixeightsound's gk splitter.

Use caution as many no name ebay "13 pin splitters" are mis wired and do not include the necessary steering Diodes for pins 10,11

Avoid this type sealed  GK Y splitter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271166489209

I purchased this 5 years ago and it was simply all 13 pins wired in parallel on all three DIN connectors , without the necessary omission of power pins 12,13 on the Unit B Output,  and no S1/S2 pin 10,11 Steering Diodes

It should employ this circuit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36814.0

With reports of folks cascading these Y splitter cables , its important to add S1, S2 Switch Steering diodes (1N4148/1N914) on all pin 10, 11 output connections, and verify only ONE GK output connection includes Power Pin 12, 13 connections

If these power pins are connected on all DIN 13 outputs , it shorts the internal  power rails on all GK Processors, and will damage their power supplies and create expensive repair costs for your GK Processor ( SY-1000, GR-55, VG-99, GP-10, etc. )

Toddantho

Thanks for the heads up . Waste of money , but I should have a good GK splitter coming from sixeight sound control.

VGA-7

Toddantho, I pursued a similar path as you. I bought A VGA-7 new and Gr33. I then bought a RMC fanout box to use them together. I encountered noise from a ground loop that I never solved. So I never used them together for years.I later bought GP-10 and then SY-1000.Somewhere along the way I bought a cheap e-bay Y cord and snipped 1 cable according to a post on here. I can't remember the out come.And I can't find the Y-cord now.I ended up getting codesmart's GX-2,and I think the Y cord so I could use 3-13 pin devices at once.When Codesmart made more GKPX-14s which offers 1 in and 4 outs,I bought 1. So now i'm happy can play all 4 devices at once without ground loops. Good luck on your journey. I still love my VGA-7 as long as I don't have to lug it around!       
Gibson L6S /gk2a , Bradley mini strat  /gk2a VGA-7 amp ,GR-33 , GP-10,SY1K, RMC breakout box, PK5 midi pedals,CM-64 sound module, Oberheim EDP  ,Boss RC-300,Digitech TRIO and TRIO +, Alesis DM5, GX2 Gear Shifter and GKPX-14

Toddantho

Actually I got that splitter to work through the US 20... But now I have a new gk splitter from Sixeight Sound Control. Only problem is nothing is labeled on the outside box. Anyone know offhand the location of Gk in , etc?

Elantric

Quote from: Toddantho on March 19, 2024, 08:08:19 AMActually I got that splitter to work through the US 20... But now I have a new gk splitter from Sixeight Sound Control. Only problem is nothing is labeled on the outside box. Anyone know offhand the location of Gk in , etc?

Review the source link

https://sixeightsoundcontrol.onlineweb.shop/product/gk-splitter

Connections front: Normal input, GKin GKout1

Connections back; Gkout2, GKout3, insert (tip = send, ring = return)

Toddantho

Thank you again !  Roland / Boss should pay you !!  You have more knowledge than them!

Elantric

Quote from: Toddantho on March 19, 2024, 08:29:51 AMThank you again !  Roland / Boss should pay you !!  You have more knowledge than them!

This is not a Roland/Boss product ( its from Sixeight Sound Control.)
 -so of course they would not know the answer