SY-1000- Latest Firmware

Started by admin, February 01, 2020, 01:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicman77 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Kevin M on November 09, 2021, 08:23:58 AM
Does 'sustainer' refer to a sustainer pickup?  If so, it seems like a very narrow/limited defect path to work on compared to most SY1k users and their (myself included) non-sustainer related dynamic synth defects.

Yes I does refer to a sustainer pickup , but the gnarles are there before firmware 1.06 without the sustainer.
As soon as you sustain (with or without sustainer pickup) a note, especially a longer string ( not fretted high up ) the string goes into overtones easily, first the octave. The VGs , GP-10 and SY300 + the normal input dynamic synth on SY-1000 can handle that
Not the hexinput on the SY-1000
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 09, 2021, 08:39:42 AM
. The VGs , GP-10 and SY300 + the normal input dynamic synth on SY-1000 can handle that
Not the hexinput on the SY-1000
Did the VG's or GP-10 have the dynamic synth?

I recently did a careful listening for digital artifacts on my VG8 s1 to hear if nostalgia was interfering with my recollection of the VG8 being the perfect Hex processer.

The results were that careful listening reveals a whole slew of different types of digital noises.

I used to perform with a Roland GS-6 multi effects guitar preamp. I thought it sounded great. Then a pro musician* sat in with us and used that setup. After jaming with the band, he asked me what the story was on the noise that was present on the attack of every note. (and it wasn't NS gate noise)

I did some careful listening and sure enough it was there. I was surprised that he could hear it over the sound of the band, but now I could hear it all the time.

I switched to an analog preamp after that.

Sometimes it's just time to move on if a piece of gear doesn't workout.

*He is master classical guitar artist capable of ripping out Rachmaninoff who also played jazz, country and rock to make wages.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: chrish on November 09, 2021, 09:23:00 AM
Did the VG's or GP-10 have the dynamic synth?

I recently did a careful listening for digital artifacts on my VG8 s1 to hear if nostalgia was interfering with my recollection of the VG8 being the perfect Hex processer.

The results were that careful listening reveals a whole slew of different types of digital noises.

I used to perform with a Roland GS-6 multi effects guitar preamp. I thought it sounded great. Then a pro musician* sat in with us and used that setup. After jaming with the band, he asked me what the story was on the noise that was present on the attack of every note. (and it wasn't NS gate noise)

I did some careful listening and sure enough it was there. I was surprised that he could hear it over the sound of the band, but now I could hear it all the time.

I switched to an analog preamp after that.

Sometimes it's just time to move on if a piece of gear doesn't workout.

*He is master classical guitar artist capable of ripping out Rachmaninoff who also played jazz, country and rock to make wages.

No dynamic synths but no gnarles either when moving from base note to overtones with different kinds of synth emulations.
There are other noises , glitches , artifacts etc with the different units but nothing like the magnitude of the gnarles or the warbles. That is my experience in any case.

But then again , no gear is flawless, it just can't be so bad it's unusable.
The gnarles where in the region , and the warbles are. At least for me.
I'm using it for other purposes, I still think it should be fixed.

And you're touching on an issue that's been surfacing off and on in these discussions.
Is part of the problem the higher resolution , I'm guessing it might enhance the problem
but I'm leaning towards the algorithms, partly because it's a no issue when using the normal input and
it was adjusted with a firmware update.
And the fact that I never had warbles before GP-10.
I believe that the warbles are fixable with a firmware update also.
I hope Boss takes responsibility despite the somewhat whatever attitude in these threads.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

kimyo

Quote from: chrish on November 09, 2021, 09:23:00 AMSometimes it's just time to move on if a piece of gear doesn't workout.

i've only had a couple of hours playing 1.07, so it's too early to decide to pull the plug, although i'm certainly leaning that way.

aside from looking for performance enhancements i also want to spend some time with nobulusprime's new patches. 

lastly, a key factor is whether 1.07 is the last firmware update boss will provide for the sy-1000.  obviously, asking boss to provide this information is akin to demanding that yoshi show up at my house to wash my car and clean out the gutters, so i don't dare do that.

but i will ask the members here:  is 1.08 a possibility?  what's your opinion?

Elantric

Fwiw, SY-1000 is currently at FW 1.09
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/sy-1000/updates_drivers/7138875a-30cb-49be-9ad9-7746c9839507/

Prior Firmware revisions are not directly available from Boss

aliensporebomb

Highly recommend updating to 1.09.   The people reporting issues with tuning clashes are pitching the guitar via ALT TUNE and running the conventional pickups alongside and yes, there's a clash because it's the equivalent of tuning a guitar to E and one to e-flat.   Clash!   SY-1000 is so clean and pure. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumtownadmin

I have a patch where I am using Eb alt tuning (-1) on the instrument modeling, and also using normal pickups,
 with a Pedal Bend fx block at the front of the normal pickup chain.
Pedal Bend pitch set to -1, and Pedal Position set to 100.

Works fine for me.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.