SY-1000 - Guitar to MIDI with Multitimbral MIDI Synth Tone Modules

Started by admin, January 12, 2020, 09:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solo624

Elantric & Gumtown, thanks for the immediate response information, I emailed Roland to see if they have some info but no response yet. You guys are very informative and awesome as always. Thanks

Gumtown from the Sweetwater links sent there are many to choose from (trying to understand better) is it that the Pianos/keys have MIDI ability and preloaded sounds generated that I'm looking for or in the links all models may work? I see there are many keyboards in the links sent budget is a factor, and I'm looking for something that has a smaller keyboard size for the gigs I goto.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c510--Synthesizers

Cheers

Elantric

If you expect to play with String Bending on some strings, while other strings are played from the fret with no bends - find a gently used MULTITIMBERAL MIDI MODULE  that supports 6 separate MIDI INPUT CHANNELS ( SY-1000 MONO MODE)

The Roland SonicCell

ROLAND Fantom XR

Roland D-05

Look at Reverb.com, Ebay
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=50.0

Basically softsynths on iPads have reduced the field of hardware synths for MIDI GUITAR TONE MODULES
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/11992/any-midi-guitar-specific-synthesizers-on-ios

gumtown

One that I have is the Korg Wavestate, quite a budget friendly one with some really amazing sounds, plus with the editor you can load in samples too.
And it has a smaller keyboard
Only downside is (afaik) it does not do "Mono Mode" (all playing is on one midi channel).
Note: just looked it up and there is apparently a setting for mono mode.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WavestateMkII--korg-wavestate-mkii-37-key-wave-sequencing-synthesizer

If you don't need a keyboard keys (midi sound module only), then I have had the Roland Sonic Cell, still have the Roland XR,
and there are the Roland SD-80, Roland JV-1010 JV-1080 JV2080
which these are fairly much a rack mount box, that midi goes in, sound comes out..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

arkieboy

Quote from: gumtown on December 12, 2023, 05:18:05 PMOnly downside is (afaik) it does not do "Mono Mode" (all playing is on one midi channel).
Note: just looked it up and there is apparently a setting for mono mode.

Would really appreciate a report back on how well this works.

MPE specs prominently feature 'per note pitchbend' as being a benefit of the extension to the midi standard, and I have read that the spec suggests compliant devices should respond to midi mono mode as if it was an MPE broadcast, but I've not had chance to try this out.  It would be great to establish some examples of this working.

Also, I love the WaveStation - I has a SR in my synth rack back in the day, and I replaced it with the plugin.  I know its not a like-for-like replacement, but Wavestates are going for as little as £350 second hand at the moment - if it does support mono-mode then its going to be a really good pick for someone who has a GM-800 and needs to extend their palette.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

IMH1234

Would be great if Roland implemented a full MPE mode - in particular per note aftertouch/pressure (based on the natural or even a user definable string envelope) and say picking position. This would enable some awesome expressive capabilities comparable to the VG/SY series but from midi tones

solo624

All good stuff here, honestly I think for me the tablet and software are an easier choice price, and flexibility. The hardware route is expansive and outdated equipment or expensive (which sucks)  This  is great just a rabbit hole and requires some midi understanding and some learning. I have a few people who are familiar with just triggering the guitar pedals not with keys.

Using a tablet will it separate the usage with the sy1000 ?

Android choices for software and its flexibility with keyboard controllers?

sixeight

Quote from: solo624 on December 14, 2023, 08:48:58 AMAll good stuff here, honestly I think for me the tablet and software are an easier choice price, and flexibility. The hardware route is expansive and outdated equipment or expensive (which sucks)  This  is great just a rabbit hole and requires some midi understanding and some learning. I have a few people who are familiar with just triggering the guitar pedals not with keys.

Using a tablet will it separate the usage with the sy1000 ?

Android choices for software and its flexibility with keyboard controllers?

Easiest way is Macbook or windows laptop connected with USB. You need the Boss drivers to get working audio and midi via USB. Android may work, but may also have latency problems.

stub

Quote from: Elantric on December 12, 2023, 01:49:28 PMThe 13pin GK Input is not MIDI ( despite what 90% of musicians,  Guitar Center Keyboard Managers believe )

Thanks for that great post.

There are few things that irritate me more than someone referring to a GK pickup as "a MIDI pickup". Eeergh!!

It also gets on my nerves that the word "dongle" --which used to refer to a port-wasting lump that developers used to use for copy-protection-- now seems to mean "adapter" (because dongle is so much shorter to say than adapter). E.g., a USB iLok key is a dongle.

This raises the question of why people feel inclined to misuse "begs the question". I digress.

Elantric

My pet peeve is the texting generation tends to have zero use for typing proper full names of technical terms, and product names.

Instead must decipher the context of the post.

Example,
"i have problem using QC to trigger Logic AU, using JO on an M2 "

stub

Quote from: Elantric on December 19, 2023, 10:52:44 AMMy pet peeve is the texting generation tends to have zero use for typing proper full names of technical terms, and product names.

I'm not in the texting generation, but I can relate, because I hate touchscreen typing so much, I abbreviate as much as possible. My brain just keeps chanting, "Let's get this over with."