Boss SY-1000 - Boss Introduces the SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer

Started by admin, December 05, 2019, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosetuno

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 12, 2019, 02:59:12 AM
Oh yeah now I see the white blip by the bridge , old , blind and deaf,  sorry for that!

Nothing you have to apologize for.

Quote from:  philjynx on December 12, 2019, 03:03:27 AM
Brilliant name for a band!

I agree!
Quote from: jassy on December 12, 2019, 02:58:25 AM
Types of Patch
The SY-1000 has two types of patch.
Types of patch Explanation
GK patch
Patches for a guitar (bass) that uses a divided
pickup.
If these patches are selected, the display shows
the GK icon .
Normal patch
Patches for a conventional guitar (bass) that is
connected to the GUITAR INPUT. These can be
used even if you don't have a divided pickup.
You can also use these patches with the
conventional guitar (bass) signal (normal
pickup) that is routed through the divided
pickup.
If you're using Normal patch, the GK icon goes
dark.
* DYNAMIC SYNTH is the only INST TYPE that
can be selected for normal patches.

Is that on the manual??? If that´s the case i´m completely in for one

jassy

After reading the manual seems that there is nothing really new inside, but a mega mix of things from other units (typical from Boss/Roland lately). Having a GP10  and a Sy300 or GR55 etc, maybe there are not many arguments to go to this unit.
The Dynamic Synth is now polyphonic (although now it has only ONE oscillator!), that's good, but if it sounds the same (grainy, dirty, etc) then it probably will not be worth the update for Sy300 users, at least not for me.
The OSC synth seems to be the same, drived by midi, so the question is if its much better than the one in the GP10, which suffers from very poor tracking.
The amps does not have mention about if its the same that the ones in the GT1000.
Mixed feelings....

bosetuno

Quote from: jassy on December 12, 2019, 02:58:25 AM
Types of Patch
The SY-1000 has two types of patch.
Types of patch Explanation
GK patch
Patches for a guitar (bass) that uses a divided
pickup.
If these patches are selected, the display shows
the GK icon .
Normal patch
Patches for a conventional guitar (bass) that is
connected to the GUITAR INPUT. These can be
used even if you don't have a divided pickup.
You can also use these patches with the
conventional guitar (bass) signal (normal
pickup) that is routed through the divided
pickup.
If you're using Normal patch, the GK icon goes
dark.
* DYNAMIC SYNTH is the only INST TYPE that
can be selected for normal patches.

You´re right. It´s in page 13

jassy

Quote from: bosetuno on December 12, 2019, 03:05:46 AM

Is that on the manual??? If that´s the case i´m completely in for one
Yes from the manual (page 13), so only dynamic Synth, amp and normal effects for the normal input.

gumtown

One very interesting feature I see, which might not seem that big, but will offer very interesting tone creation,
is the Assign of input level "per string"
Can you imagine synth LFO or filter control different per string (using GK pickup).

The manual shows that this is a very comprehensive unit, if it had (2x) PCM Synth of the GR-55, this would be "the ultimate device".

But I think this paired with the GR-55 (or its successor?) would satisfy most appetites.

I am going to buy an SY-1000 for sure.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

I'm sorry but i'm not impressed by that manual or anything really in it.....

So.... Someone explain why this is so superior then? Somehow I don't think it's anything near a great or big improvement over the sy-300 anywhere. I think my gut has been right all along... I guess i still need to hear / see some videos before I say a big worthless nope though.

alfstone

Quote from: gumtown on December 12, 2019, 03:26:31 AM
One very interesting feature I see, which might not seem that big, but will offer very interesting tone creation,
is the Assign of input level "per string"
Can you imagine synth LFO or filter control different per string (using GK pickup).

The manual shows that this is a very comprehensive unit, if it had (2x) PCM Synth of the GR-55, this would be "the ultimate device".

But I think this paired with the GR-55 (or its successor?) would satisfy most appetites.

I am going to buy an SY-1000 for sure.

I agree.
I have already the GR-55, the GP-10 and the VG-99. I think I will buy the SY-1000, will sell the GP-10 and the VG-99, keeping the GR-55.

Alfredo

BROCKSTAR

"Can you imagine synth LFO or filter control different per string (using GK pickup)."

To me that seems maybe the most exciting thing about it all.

Vaultnaemsae

Perhaps controversial but one other possible reason to upgrade from VG-99 is if you use your V-guitar device with a newer computer...the SY-1000 will certainly have a 64-bit editor!
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on December 12, 2019, 03:40:29 AM
Perhaps controversial but one other possible reason to upgrade from VG-99 is if you use your V-guitar device with a newer computer...the SY-1000 will certainly have a 64-bit editor!

Shit ! Of course, now I have to update a drive from OSX Yosemite  , crap!
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

BROCKSTAR

"The Dynamic Synth is now polyphonic (although now it has only ONE oscillator!), that's good, but if it sounds the same (grainy, dirty, etc) then it probably will not be worth the update for Sy300 users, at least not for me."

Well technically you can have 3 instruments at once so you can do 3 dynamic synths, so still 3 oscillators if you wanted :P but yeah I'm very skeptical about the sound engine because the video with alex still sounds exactly like the sy-300... Which i love so don't get me wrong, but you'd think they would have EQ'd the oscillators and sound engine given that is one of the biggest complaints of sy-300.

bosetuno

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 12, 2019, 03:35:17 AM
I'm sorry but i'm not impressed by that manual or anything really in it.....

So.... Someone explain why this is so superior then? Somehow I don't think it's anything near a great or big improvement over the sy-300 anywhere. I think my gut has been right all along... I guess i still need to hear / see some videos before I say a big worthless nope though.
Mmmm well, if you think of it as a SY300 replacement then most probably is not a big deal, and I dont think any SY300 owner will sell it to get a SY1000. This is more of a merge between a VG99 and a SY300 with some improvements over both of them (at least on paper). If you dont use any vguitar feature, this thing dont offer you much.

romero

Couldn't find anything about IR loading.  But I do remember the gt-1000 didn't have IR loading listed at first either

Frank

Conspicuous by their absence so far:
- No Vari guitar (acoustic or electric)
- No X-Comp
- No Hexa-Chorus or Space-D from the GR-55
- Only 1 mono amp block
- Only the basic (non 500 series) versions of effects like tape echo and analog delays and choruses.
- No Tera Echo
- No POLY Comp/Limiter
- No POLY Octave
- Poly Slow Pad but no Poly Slow Gear

That said, the feature said is extensive and looks generally very appealing (to me at least).

The design rationale seems to be along the lines of what I had suspected in that they have substituted most of the HRM sounds for The Dynamic and OSC synths.

Looks like I'm keeping one of my VG-99's but will definitely buy one of these.

bosetuno

Quote from: Frank on December 12, 2019, 04:52:58 AM
- No X-Comp
- Only 1 mono amp block
- Only the basic (non 500 series) versions of effects like tape echo and analog delays and choruses.
- No Tera Echo
- No POLY Comp/Limiter
- No POLY Octave

That said, the feature said is extensive and looks generally very appealing (to me at least).

The design rationale seems to be along the lines of what I had suspected in that they have substituted most of the HRM sounds for The Dynamic and OSC synths.

Each vguitar instrument has an amp fx inside the instrument, so in total there is a max of 4 amps (4 in parallel or 3 parallel +1)

Now_And_Then

A few things caught my eye during a quick perusal of the manual:

The metering seems very extensive, at least in comparison to the VG-99; I haven't an inkling of the metering facilities of anything released after that.

The Slicer implementation has 20 patterns but doesn't indicate that users can define their own patterns.

No Gretsch model.

And...

- No X-Comp
- Only 1 mono amp block
- No Tera Echo
- No POLY Comp/Limiter
- No POLY Octave

This merits attention; some of these omissions are very disappointing.

Piing

Quote from: Now_And_Then on December 12, 2019, 05:40:39 AM

No Gretsch model.

And...

This merits attention; some of these omissions are very disappointing.

The Gretsch was already omitted at the VG-99. It only exists at the VG-88

All these omissions are very disappointing, indeed   :(

- No X-Comp
- Only 1 mono amp block
- No Tera Echo
- No POLY Comp/Limiter
- No POLY Octave

I am also keeping my VG-99 and, if I decide to get the SY-1000, I will only sell the GP-10

Vaultnaemsae

Yeah, after reading the new manual I'm happily hanging onto my VG-99 but this would definitely be a nice upgrade for the GP-10.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Larsson

- No X-Comp
- Only 1 mono amp block
- No Tera Echo
- No POLY Comp/Limiter
- No POLY Octave

Are you sure these are really missing from the device or only absent from the manual? I did a quick Ctrl+F scan on GT-1000 manual, and found no matches for Tera Echo, X-Comp etc. either. But, when you open GT-1000 parameter guide, they are there.

I believe we should wait until SY-1000 parameter guide is released before giving final verdict.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Larsson on December 12, 2019, 06:12:14 AM
Are you sure these are really missing from the device or only absent from the manual? I did a quick Ctrl+F scan on GT-1000 manual, and found no matches for Tera Echo, X-Comp etc. either. But, when you open GT-1000 parameter guide, they are there.

I believe we should wait until SY-1000 parameter guide is released before giving final verdict.
It's out and available for reading. Not an easy read  ;D

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf

Larsson

Quote from: JiveTurkey on December 12, 2019, 06:13:07 AM
It's out and available for reading. Not an easy read  ;D

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf
Oh, I had missed that completely, thanks! Looks like I've got some reading to do.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Larsson on December 12, 2019, 06:18:32 AM
Oh, I had missed that completely, thanks! Looks like I've got some reading to do.
No worries. It was posted in the FB group. I didn't see it on the official SY page.

hading

Had a brief scan of the parameters guide earlier, and I think my reaction is what I expected. I don't think it will make me want to part with the VG-99, but for my purposes I think it would handily replace the SY-300, GP-10, and GT with the advantages of having everything in one unit, even if there are, as always with Roland, some frustrating omissions.

carlb

Looks like each of the three guitar/bass "input" models gets its own amp. Not sure if you can put a compressor or wah-pedal between instrument and the amp? If not, you could put the dedicated Amp block after a compressor and/or wah.

There's a path "Divider," which seems to do what the VG-99's A/B paths do. Nice.

16 Assigns per patch, nice.

Bulk-Dump where you can send specific patches from one SY-1000 to another. Cool.
Compared to the GP-10, the SY-1000 lost the Soldano amp type - which I use with very low gain for a edge-of-breakup response. I'll have to re-build something for that.

Has an acoustic resonance effect, which I hope to use with the the L4 model to get a bit more of a jazz boxes' acoustic response.

The ring modulation effect is back, great for some fusion solos.

It's larger than the GP-10, so working it into my rolling-rig could be a challenge. I may just end up keeping the GP-10 for live use, time will tell. If the fidelity of instruments and amps has increased, I'll very much want to make it work in a live rig.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Piing on December 12, 2019, 06:03:29 AM
The Gretsch was already omitted at the VG-99. It only exists at the VG-88

But, if I correctly recall, the VG-99 editor included a graphic of a Gretsch. If Roland initially planned to include a Gretsch model, it'd by interesting to know why they changed their minds.

Offhand I don't recall if there were any other guitar models omitted from the VG-8 or 88.

But I am pretty sure that the Vari-Guitar capabilities shrank as each successive VG model was released. (That's why I still have 2 VG-8EXs and 2 VG-88v2s.)

I was really hoping that Roland would restore *all* the lost Vari-Guitar capabilities from the 8 and the 88. Apparently it was not to be.

And not merely that: it would appear as though the Vari-Guitar has been omitted in its entirety.

: (