Mustang GT - Footswitch freezes (FIXED after FW 3.0)

Started by dazco, April 10, 2019, 10:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazco

Anyone else? I thought it was a connector issue but i have deoxit'd every connector inside the chassis and all jacks on the amp and FS and tried different cables. I thought it was a connection and this morning i seemed to have confirmed that by dropping the am on the floor to jolt it while frozen and it started working again. Then i just happened again and this time i slammed the damn thing many times and no change till i rebooted. Rebooting it sometimes does but other times not. Is anyone else still having this issue?

admin

It simply went from

FW 1.0 =  4 button footswitch is 20% functional (80% random failure)

to
FW 2.0 =  4 button footswitch is 80% functional (20% random failure)

else if you use the optional Fender EXP-1 Expression Pedal with Fender 4-Button Footswitch for Mustang GT
https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/214505443-How-do-I-use-the-Fender-EXP-1-Expression-Pedal-

Then on any Firmware , 4 button footswitch is 10% functional (90% random failure)

dazco

Well, i still think it may be the connector that connects the FS board in the am to a main board. It;s not a cable/ribbon type connector, it's one of those where there are a coupe rows of long L shaped gold pins soldered to one board and the other board is pushed onto the pins then bolted to the chassis.  When i remove the FS board you can feel how loose the pins are. Very poor quality on the female end which is at the FS board. So 3 days ago i hardwire bypassed the connector. It took me an hour, but using an eye loupe to see what i was doing i soldered a small piece of wire to the to the tip of every one of those pins and then to the solder pads and the base of every pin. We shall soon see if that worked. So far 3 days in no issues. But i will not call success till it's been a couple weeks. When it was doing this it happened every day. After reseating it and deoxing it it would be good for maybe 3-5 days maybe a bit more. Modern electronics are plagued with unreliable connectors and potential bad solder joins due to pots and jacks that are board mounted. I for one would be happy to pay considerably more for an amp built to eliminate these issue. But I suppose often they are purposeful as in "planned obsolescence", a practice i find detestable. 

dazco

Well, if u read my above post u saw that i bypassed the pins of the connector that the footswitch board plugs into a main board in hopes that loose/bad quality of the pin connections were what was responsible for the FS freezing. It was freezing most every day (often 2-3 times) but in the 2+ weeks since i did this it has not frozen even one time. So looks like the software design isn't the issue, its hardware. Connectors are one of the most common reliability issues with modern electronics, so no surprise here.

admin

Quote from: dazco on April 30, 2019, 12:11:38 PM
Well, if u read my above post u saw that i bypassed the pins of the connector that the footswitch board plugs into a main board in hopes that loose/bad quality of the pin connections were what was responsible for the FS freezing. It was freezing most every day (often 2-3 times) but in the 2+ weeks since i did this it has not frozen even one time. So looks like the software design isn't the issue, its hardware. Connectors are one of the most common reliability issues with modern electronics, so no surprise here.

But add the Fender EXP-1 Expression pedal to the 4 button footswitch connected to any Mustang GT and "no worky" 50% of the time 

- even with soldered internal connections

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/amp-parts/footswitches/exp-1-expression-pedal/2301050000.html

Meanwhile  Fender EXP-1 Expression pedal works flawlessly on old Mustang Floor
(too bad the R&D team that developed 1st gen G-DEC and Mustang was replaced with current Mustang GT R&D team
https://usermanual.wiki/Fender/FenderEXP1PedalQuickStartGuide.3432721978/view

dazco

I have the EXP but i haven't noticed that. The EXP itself is a total glitch fest so i rarely ever use it. But when i have i didn't notice the 4 button acting any different. I had the MIII too and i also never saw a single glitch. Never once in 5 years, at least that i recall. 

I can't believe with how unusable the EXP is fender is still advertising it as compatible with the GT. That just floors me. Every single person who;s bought one for it will find it so buggy many have no doubt called fender about it. So i'm shocked they still show it as GT compatible. Crazy !

admin

I upgraded my Mustang GT 40 to the latest FW 3.0.31,

Test #1 - I connected my new GTX-7 Footswitch, and tried the new functions - no crashing, no random patch changes - all seems logical and very functional

Test #2 - I connected a Footpedal daisy chain using Official Fender connection method using the stock Fender supplied 2 wire TS Cables

* Mustang GT 40 Footswitch Jack > Fender EXP-1 Expression Pedal > GTX-7 Footswitch

and tried ALL the new functions = no crashing, no random patch changes - all works solid and very reliable now. ( Big Change compared to old 4 button FSW and V2 Firmware)

THANK YOU FENDER and the current Mustang GT/GTX R&D Team, for sorting out the major deal breaker I have always had with the Mustang GT  Amp Series
WELL DONE FENDER!!
(Now off to get my GT200 out of storage to apply the new V3 Firmware
and try the new sounds

---
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27150.msg206067;topicseen#msg206067
Rumor is Fender cleaned house and put the Tone Master DSP Deluxe / Twin Reverb Amp R&D engineering team on the the new V3 Firmware for Mustang GT and Mustang GTX  -  they cleaned up the code and made it more reliable, and it shows!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TMDeluxeRev--fender-tone-master-deluxe-reverb-100-watt-1x12-inch-combo-amp

admin

latest GT/ GTS firmware updates have made GTX-7 footswitch very reliable and resolved prior lockups
Mustang GT Firmware  3.0.49 (Nov 15th, 2021

https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003516523-Mustang-GT-Firmware-Version-Release-Notes

Mustang GTX  Firmware 3.0.96 (Nov 15th, 2021)
https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040845232-Mustang-GTX-Firmware-Version-Release-Notes

* Increased sensitivity of the Master Volume control

* Fixed issue with Tuner being improperly engaged with the GTX-7 footswitch

* Expression pedal and footswitch reliability

gogogoch

Quote from: dazco on April 30, 2019, 12:11:38 PMWell, if u read my above post u saw that i bypassed the pins of the connector that the footswitch board plugs into a main board in hopes that loose/bad quality of the pin connections were what was responsible for the FS freezing. It was freezing most every day (often 2-3 times) but in the 2+ weeks since i did this it has not frozen even one time. So looks like the software design isn't the issue, its hardware. Connectors are one of the most common reliability issues with modern electronics, so no surprise here.

I know this is 3 1/2 years old, but I'm considering doing this operation on my GT40, so I just thought I'd ask: @dazco did this end up being the long-term fix? Or did the intermittent freezes return after a while? (I assume you've long since replaced the amp, but I'm new here -- just bought a used GT40 a few months ago, and have been having the same problems with the footswitch.)

Thanks!

admin

Quote from: gogogoch on October 09, 2022, 08:22:24 AMI know this is 3 1/2 years old, but I'm considering doing this operation on my GT40, so I just thought I'd ask: @dazco did this end up being the long-term fix? Or did the intermittent freezes return after a while? (I assume you've long since replaced the amp, but I'm new here -- just bought a used GT40 a few months ago, and have been having the same problems with the footswitch.)

Thanks!

Update the GT40 to latest firmware does help minimize footswitch anomalies
https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003516523-Mustang-GT-Firmware-Version-Release-Note

Perform a full RECOVERY operation can clear up anomalies
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20910.0

If you have Amp mute lockups after 30 minutes of use - its likely an oxidized /intermittent ribbon cable socket ot DSP Board socket or bad switching headphone jack

Repair details here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28568.0

gogogoch

Thanks for those links. I'm not having audio dropouts -- the problem is the footswitch locking up. I started another thread with the details of what I've tried (including latest firmware and factory restore, and also getting a new footswitch). But I wanted to follow up specifically on the fix dazco implemented for footswitch freezes, where he soldered jumpers for all the pins connecting the footswitch daughter board to the main board. If that did turn out to solve the problem in the long-term, then I might have to do that.

dazco

Quote from: gogogoch on October 09, 2022, 08:22:24 AMI know this is 3 1/2 years old, but I'm considering doing this operation on my GT40, so I just thought I'd ask: @dazco did this end up being the long-term fix? Or did the intermittent freezes return after a while? (I assume you've long since replaced the amp, but I'm new here -- just bought a used GT40 a few months ago, and have been having the same problems with the footswitch.)

Thanks!
After i did that it never had that issue again. Not sure how long i had the GT after i did the surgery but i think a couple years. So that fixed it 100% for me. Doesn't mean it's a sure think it will for you but it certainly did for mine.

Elantric

Update, attempted a few gigs with Mustang GTX and GTX-7 footswitch and Expression Pedal 

As soon as stage lights went on , the wonky non working behavior manifested. Random patch changes, non working expression pedal - its a great hobby amp but not suitable for professional  use