Boss SY-300 firmware update wish list

Started by Brak(E)man, May 08, 2018, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

JiveTurkey

Allow FX to be placed in front of the oscillators.

pti

This is probably more of an SY-500 feature request than an SY-300 firmware update wish, but I'd really like a box that does what the SY-300 does plus what the Electro-Harmonix MEL9+KEY9+C9 do.

I would think the polyphonic detection from a 1/4" jack is the hardest part and applying more complex wavetable-esque waveforms would be an achievable next step, given that EHX has figured it out.

jackzucker2000

how about properly handling !@#$ chords?!?

Kevin M

Is there any reason at all to believe there will be another firmware update forthcoming? The current version is at 1.03. 

My skepticism/cynicism make me doubt: 1) There will be anything beyond 1.03, and 2) Any wishlist gathered here at this point in time would make its way into that supposed delivery.

Elantric

Quote from: Kevin M on May 08, 2018, 08:36:14 PM
Is there any reason at all to believe there will be another firmware update forthcoming? The current version is at 1.03. 

My skepticism/cynicism make me doubt: 1) There will be anything beyond 1.03, and 2) Any wishlist gathered here at this point in time would make its way into that supposed delivery.

My crystal ball says chances are extremely slim we ever see a Boss firmware update for the 2 1/2  year old SY-300 ( currently at FW 1.03)
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/sy-300/updates_drivers/8c1edfa9-e004-4fc3-a7e3-a9759d8b5df9/

I would not hold my breath any updates to either SY-300, or GR-55 or GP-10 

Good news is that now that the GT-1000 is out, this allows the Boss R&D management team to review customer requests, as they prioritise features and finalize design specs creating  something very new (VG-99 replacement, which my Karnac indicators now say 2020 Winter NAMM at earliest  )

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Kevin M on May 08, 2018, 08:36:14 PM

I did send Roland my own complaints and suggestions.
If it makes a firmware upgrade or into a coming new model
is a different story.

We can but try.

- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

It's interesting.  You think Roland would ask existing customers what they thought of existing products and how they felt they could be improved.

Every major Apple product I've purchased I get an extensive survey on what I think of it.

VG-99 was not cheap.  What did I hear?  Crickets.

Not to brag but I usually get weekly emails from people with 99's or GP-10s with programming questions. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Rhcole

Improved pitch-shifting with cleaner sound.
Really. Please.

chrish

Quote from: Rhcole on May 21, 2018, 12:49:32 PM
Improved pitch-shifting with cleaner sound.
Really. Please.
Agree. I have not purchased another New Roland product since the they fooled me on the polyphonic ad hype. Twice.   ;)

Maybe the Roland engineers just don't have the code writing skills to accomplish clean poly from a multi frequency mono source.

No problem just let the ad boys take care of it.

Elmar

I wish an OSC to OSC FM control (oscillator modulating pitch of another oscillator). Reason Subtractor or Synth1 e.g. implement that.

cmscss

Feature
Have a scale/mode drop-down menu in the sequencer to conform steps to a scale so sequences can be used in songs that have chord changes.

Why?
e.g. If sequence steps use +7 or -2 that's the 5th and flat 7th so long as you only ever play the root. But if you play another note (to follow a chord change) the sequence will play a 5th or flat 7th based on the new note which could be notes that aren't even in the same key as the song. Ever tried singing over wrong notes?

A chromatic-only sequencer makes sense in a normal sequencer because you can play any note you want. But because the SY-300 is basing the sequence off a guitar note, this otherwise awesome feature is impractical for songs with chord changes because the sequence often hits wrong notes (unless you only sequence octaves). This is a real shame considering the unit does such a fantastic job of pitch shifting notes (99% of the work required for this feature).

How?
All that's required is a dropdown list, a look-up table of the semi-tones in all the various scales/modes, and to treat the semi-tones in the current sequencer as scale-degrees.

Cheers

jackzucker2000

has there been any evidence that they will update the firmware again? Hasn't it been a couple years?

admin

Quote from: jackzucker2000 on July 21, 2018, 04:53:01 PM
has there been any evidence that they will update the firmware again? Hasn't it been a couple years?

Zero expectations

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

colan

Guitar-to-MIDI conversion would have been a useful addition for MIDI software.

Cygnus

It would be nice to get some type of piano (pie-ann-e) kind of sound from this expensive toy. In my opinion it is over priced and over-hyped for the functionality. It would have been nice (wishful thinking) to add $100 to the price and incorporate a GR-55 into it.

uxfever

...being able to set quick knobs on patch level (so we could tweek some more :)

uxfever

Being able to set an osc after a self oscillating filter?

edel

PITCH-TO-MIDI would be great, missing it!

gumtown

Any update would be fine just to know that a rather pricey bit of equipment has not been abandoned by Boss.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on February 11, 2019, 02:44:47 PM
Any update would be fine just to know that a rather pricey bit of equipment has not been abandoned by Boss.
I agree. Improving the code for the pitch extraction would be a good start or would that require more hardware like a bigger chip?

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: gumtown on February 11, 2019, 02:44:47 PM

I think that ship has long sailed. Came out in mid 2015 and no update in 3 1/2 yrs on anything... Safe to say it'll never happen.
We should all start a petition and email it to them when done lol.

Synfendia

My wishlist, in order by priority (even though there is zero hope of this materializing):
1) Pitch to MIDI, though I expect this is hardware limited, not firmware
2) Full envelope control (Attack, decay, sustain, release) on all envelopes
3) Arpeggiator (different from sequencer:  play a chord and it breaks the notes into argpeggios)
4) Ability to turn on/off steps in the sequencer (I'm shocked they went as far as they did but excluded this simple feature)
5) New Effect: Octave Pedal (add +1, -1, +1 & -1, +2, etc.)
6) EQ: replace the 4-band/sweepable mids to a full 10-band EQ (or more!)
7) Add noise gate settings to the mixers
8 ) Connect via mobile app (Android & iOS)
9) Allow the 4 parameter knobs to be mapped to any combo of parameters (like the Ctrl/exp switches), set at the patch and/or system level....and also be able to set custom labels to these knobs
10) Redo all the built-in preset patches. The first half of them should be standard synth sounds, to provide a base-camp from which to climb (Basic Saw, Basic Pad, Strings, Pipe Organ, Electric Piano, Jazz Organ, Violin, Horns, etc.); then the second half of the built-in presets can show off the cool depth and breadth of the SY-300 parameters.

gumtown

Quote from: Synfendia on March 19, 2019, 12:48:03 PM
My wishlist, in order by priority (even though there is zero hope of this materializing):
1) Pitch to MIDI, though I expect this is hardware limited, not firmware
2) Full envelope control (Attack, decay, sustain, release) on all envelopes
3) Arpeggiator (different from sequencer:  play a chord and it breaks the notes into argpeggios)
4) Ability to turn on/off steps in the sequencer (I'm shocked they went as far as they did but excluded this simple feature)
5) New Effect: Octave Pedal (add +1, -1, +1 & -1, +2, etc.)
6) EQ: replace the 4-band/sweepable mids to a full 10-band EQ (or more!)
7) Add noise gate settings to the mixers
8 ) Connect via mobile app (Android & iOS)
9) Allow the 4 parameter knobs to be mapped to any combo of parameters (like the Ctrl/exp switches), set at the patch and/or system level....and also be able to set custom labels to these knobs
10) Redo all the built-in preset patches. The first half of them should be standard synth sounds, to provide a base-camp from which to climb (Basic Saw, Basic Pad, Strings, Pipe Organ, Electric Piano, Jazz Organ, Violin, Horns, etc.); then the second half of the built-in presets can show off the cool depth and breadth of the SY-300 parameters.

I agree too  ;)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/