Resynator - Hexsynator - Lost 1980s Polyphonic Analog Guitar Synthesizer

Started by drjoness2001, November 01, 2017, 07:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mos6507

It's a small world.  I found Grace Potter's version of As the World Falls Down around the time David Bowie died.  It's the best cover of that song on youtube.  Donated and shared on FB.



Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

aliensporebomb

Very curious to how this turns out.  Also, what happened to those prototypes Peter Gabriel ended up with? and if anyone else ended up buying them as there were a number of guitar synth oriented artists around the time of the release of the initial device. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

resynator

Quote from: mos6507 on February 20, 2019, 01:18:21 PM
It's a small world.  I found Grace Potter's version of As the World Falls Down around the time David Bowie died.  It's the best cover of that song on youtube.  Donated and shared on FB.

Yes! Thank you!! That was the first use of the Resynator since it's resurrection :) I love it so much. And not that many people know that song, unless they are HARDCORE bowie or Labyrinth fans. So cool you found it.

resynator

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 20, 2019, 01:18:36 PM
Very curious to how this turns out.  Also, what happened to those prototypes Peter Gabriel ended up with? and if anyone else ended up buying them as there were a number of guitar synth oriented artists around the time of the release of the initial device.

ok so i have three leads but all could be dead ends. The first is Brian Eno. Peter actually reached out to him on my behalf (which is just nuts) and Brian immediately said YES he had a SYCO Resynator - but then when he circled back with him Brian took it back and said it was something else. I'm not sure if he just didn't want to be interviewed or what, but I'm trying to get in touch with him properly to just find out the truth - no interview:) and then the the 2nd one I think went to Jon Anderson of YES. I found an empty envelope from Jon addressed to my dad stamped 1982 from France, where Jon was living. I had a friend of a friend reach out to him and Jon confirmed he had one! I haven't been able to get back in touch with him though after that - but I want to know where he got his because SYCO had a demo house in Paris, so that would check out! and lastly - the 3rd - I found an email on Analogue Heaven from 1995 from some UK guy named Rob J Gill (attached a screen shot) - saying he HAD a resynator but it wasn't working and he was trying to get ahold of my dad but of course, my dad had passed away in '88. I have tried desperately to find this man but so far, have not had any luck.

aliensporebomb

Wow.  Eno?  Jon Anderson?  So some real heavy hitters had these potentially.

Regarding Rob J Gill: have you tried to contact the university to see if they have any information? 

I'd sure love to try one of these devices out someday.  It's weird, but I dimly remember the ads in Guitar Player back when I first started playing the guitar and always wondered what happened to them.



My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

resynator

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 20, 2019, 08:10:41 PM
Wow.  Eno?  Jon Anderson?  So some real heavy hitters had these potentially.

Regarding Rob J Gill: have you tried to contact the university to see if they have any information? 

I'd sure love to try one of these devices out someday.  It's weird, but I dimly remember the ads in Guitar Player back when I first started playing the guitar and always wondered what happened to them.



I did reach out to the Uni and they didn't have any forwarding info. I couldn't tell by his signature if he was a student or a teacher. I then found someone who may have been him here: http://www.beaconsfield.derwentside.org.uk/index.html but his email and the main email bounced back to me. And there are about a thousand Rob J Gills in the UK so my hope is that he finds this project and reached out to me!

So cool you remember it! I've come across a few who have remembered the Awesome ads, but only a few!

aliensporebomb

Back when I was a young guitar player all of these things seemed like they were going to be the future.  The most interesting products seemed to be coming from the smaller companies because they didn't have to worry about appealing to everyone. 

I basically noticed it straight away due to the 24-pin connector which was the way the Roland guitars interfaced and so I was very interested.

So if you ever visit Minnesota I would love to try it out!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

resynator

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 21, 2019, 01:17:59 PM
Back when I was a young guitar player all of these things seemed like they were going to be the future.  The most interesting products seemed to be coming from the smaller companies because they didn't have to worry about appealing to everyone. 

I basically noticed it straight away due to the 24-pin connector which was the way the Roland guitars interfaced and so I was very interested.

So if you ever visit Minnesota I would love to try it out!

ah, well THAT is the Hexsynator - which has not been resurrected yet! one day...

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Not sure if this link has already been posted.