Workaround for ATG settings manager on laptop

Started by vtgearhead, August 20, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

For whatever reason, Antares coded the settings manager GUI for a fixed display resolution that requires a minimum height of 1080 pixels (a fact that is buried in an obscure README I tripped over after the fact).  I had just finished setting up an older Lenovo T61 laptop expressly for utility purposes (parameter control of all my various USB and/or MIDI connected devices) and was quite annoyed to find that ATG manager is the only piece of software in the lot that won't cooperate with the 800 H display.

After registering my disappointment on their "suggestion" forum, I tripped over an $18.95 piece of software that creates a virtual desktop on Windows 7,8 and 10 (32 and 64).  This allows the settings manager to extend past the physical border and render correctly.  You scroll up and down on the viewport by moving the mouse to the upper or lower border.  It works just as advertised and was well worth the investment:

http://www.gimespace.com/gms.html

Elantric

Now if we can only convince Antares that real musicians often have DAW computers with multiple MIDI Interfaces

The ATG settings manager lacks a user Preference menu, no ability for the user to declare to the app what MIDI I/O port the ATG is connected and when I point this out to Antares their response is the ATG software is "smart" and should "auto-detect an ATG connected via any 5pin MIDI interface" -

but in reality here on my rig it times out with no ATG connection if you have mutiple MIDI Hardware interfaces and lots of third party gear with MIDI I/O jacks connected with your DAW and the ATG Settings software just gives an endless spinning beach ball and never finds the ATG.

It's been over 2years Since I  reported this issue and over a year since I was told they would address with a fix.

The solution to actually run the ATG Settings Manager and make a connection  is unplug all but one MIDI interface and be sure that is connected to one ATG only

I use the MIDI DESIGNER IPAD app and rarely touch the official ATG Settings Manager app that is rather buggy IMHO.