Slide Guitar

Started by Elantric, February 02, 2008, 12:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Since the VG-99 does Alternate Tuning so well, it may help some of us to read this article on Slide guitar - and a few tricks to employ:

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/instant_slide_guitar_setup_tech/

For me the VG-99 is cool  - but out of the box it misses that Lowell George / Bonnie Rait  / Derek Trucks  / Sonny Landreth "singing" sustain - which you typical can only get playing loud with a tube amp.

To compensate, I feed the normal mag PU into a Sustainiac Model B - ( been replaced by the Model C)

as this adds the missing acoustic feedback path to the instrument  - to help those notes truly ring out.   

http://www.amptone.com/maniacsustainiac.htm

Paresh

Have you tried some of the metal patches with all their sustain?
paresh

ericar123

I am so happy with the VG99 that I dug out an old guitar and set it up with a nut extension
and took out the pickups and electronics. I tune it to standard tuning and have a GK3 on it.
I have gotten very good sound and realistic tunings using the vg99. The only downfall to
this setup is if I don't play very loud I hear both pitches from the guitar and vg99. This
takes some getting used to.

Eric

:)

shannonrichards

It's fantastic to hear that you're enjoying the VG99 and getting creative with your setup! Setting up an old guitar with a nut extension, using standard tuning with a GK3, and achieving realistic sounds through the VG99 is a clever and innovative approach.

IMH1234

Quote from: ericar123 on February 11, 2008, 07:00:14 AMI am so happy with the VG99 that I dug out an old guitar and set it up with a nut extension
and took out the pickups and electronics. I tune it to standard tuning and have a GK3 on it.
I have gotten very good sound and realistic tunings using the vg99. The only downfall to
this setup is if I don't play very loud I hear both pitches from the guitar and vg99. This
takes some getting used to.

Eric

:)

Sounds similar to how Joni Mitchell used her Parker Fly setup - but with the added fun of slide guitar!!! Really interesting approach and definitely playing to a strength of the VG99

Elantric

Quote from: IMH1234 on January 24, 2024, 05:43:22 AMSounds similar to how Joni Mitchell used her Parker Fly setup - but with the added fun of slide guitar!!! Really interesting approach and definitely playing to a strength of the VG99

Practice with headphones

Play live with a drummer

But DSP Alt tuning with a guitar with higher decibel resonate acoustic properties will not be suitable for small room low volume solo gigs, as your front row audience will no doubt hear the clash of the natural pitch of your guitar strings