How a GK MIDI Cable destroyed the success of Roland V-Guitar Modeling products

Started by Elantric, March 13, 2015, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Quote from: gumtown on August 30, 2021, 10:21:06 PMI think if Roland want to promote new users to "hex processing" technology, they are going to have to re-design the GK3 & 13 pin cable, and come up with a totally new word for it, far removed from Midi.
A bit like the change away from the term "COSM"

"HEXACOIL" bridge pickups from Roland !!

revamp the GK-3 body with snap on styled covers, and supply both a LP and Strat style knob for it.
A/D converters under the pickup coils, and send a composite digital signal + power down a T/S jack plug and regular looking guitar cable.

Don't like to quote myself, but the later part of this did eventually turn out to come true !!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Since most of the GR series and now the GM track their internal PCM sample snippets sounds well with clean playing and good guitar setup, what is the process to trigger them?

I know that guitar pitch, pitch bend, velocity etc are eventually converted to midi out. And internal sounds ,except the GR55, can be triggered by midi in from another midi trigger device. Does that mean guitar pitch to midi is used to trigger the internal sounds?

I know some midi is transmitted using TRS cable so is the GK5  doing midi conversation at the guitar or just acting as an AD converter? I believe it the latter but just checking.

gumtown

Quote from: chrish on March 21, 2024, 06:28:54 PMSince most of the GR series and now the GM track their internal PCM sample snippets sounds well with clean playing and good guitar setup, what is the process to trigger them?

I know that guitar pitch, pitch bend, velocity etc are eventually converted to midi out. And internal sounds ,except the GR55, can be triggered by midi in from another midi trigger device. Does that mean guitar pitch to midi is used to trigger the internal sounds?

I know some midi is transmitted using TRS cable so is the GK5  doing midi conversation at the guitar or just acting as an AD converter? I believe it the latter but just checking.

No one can say for sure what Roland/Boss do inside their units, but guitar to midi has to be assumed the process.
Not sure if there are other conversions at play, I would say so, as the PCM tones within the boxes seem to play a little bit more expressively than just midi to PCM, possibly a continuous velocity tracking parameter is involved.

I don't think there is any midi in the GK-5 or TRS cable, the GK-5 is just a hexa-phonic pickup and a 6 channel A/D converter, sending the digital multiplexed serial audio data down a balanced co-axial cable.
Guitar to midi would most definitely be done inside the GM-800, if it were done in the GK-5, that would make the GK-Serial eco-system useless for non-midi HRM modeling tasks of future devices.
Of course it is all speculation and opinion, but one fact of the GK-5 system is it uses a chip commonly used in automotive audio for streaming digital multi-channel audio (A2B protocol).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

The Boss GK-SERIAL Connection supports 8 Audio Inputs,  8 Audio Outputs, as well as GPIO control signals for volume and switch peripheral ( like GK S1,GK S2)

In 2024, more products will be released which directly support the  GK-SERIAL I/O connection