Boss GP-10

Started by Elantric, March 10, 2014, 06:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Quote from: jorelprime on March 02, 2017, 05:47:02 PM

1. Is it normal that all the GR-300 based patches track poorly? The factory ''GR-300 LEAD'' doesn't track that good with faster playing. Neither do none of the GR-300 based patches I got from a pack here. On the other hand the snyth pack I also got here, tracks perfectly, with Moog options and the like. Though, some things again don't sound close to what I hear in demos. Like the Van Halen ''Jump'' synth sound...

2. Poor latency on some patches. As in, I'm hearing notes about a second or two after I play them on a few patches. I thought this was supposed be the ''zero latency, perfect tracking'' pickup? And no I wasn't trying to shred on ''pad'' sounds.  ;D

3. The volume control on the gk-3 is there for? It's almost ''no volume - quiet - full volume'' and nothing in between. Is that just on my end?

4. The expression pedal makes a subtle scratchy sound when up from the down position. As if ''rusty'' or rubing agaisnt something. Normal? None of my other pedals did that so just curious. Probably nothing but I may be a bit paranoid, I have a 3 year warranty though.  ;D

5. The GK cable is very flimsy. I just touch it or move it sligthly on the GK-3 and it makes scratching and crackling noises. Doesn't do that on the GP-10 side. What gives?

No the gr300 emulation shouldn't not track badly, it's hard to play very fast because the attack can be " spungie.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11834.msg87733#msg87733
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11834.msg89232#msg89232
Unless its OSC synth you shouldn't have any latency or glitches

I dont use the volume that much on gk
But it seems to work fine when I do

No sound from my pedal

It's a common problem but usually not with a new cable
It can be the gk3 connector
bad contact , but I'm no expert
I either buy a new cable or hand my guitar in
to my guit tech

As a side note
I've installed only one gk2 external kit on a stratlike guitar.
That is on a fretless squire , so even less room between body and string
I have had no problem but only used it with VG 88 and 99
GP 10 seems to me a bit more fidgety
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

jorelprime

Quote from: Elantric on March 02, 2017, 08:04:34 PM

That Gk-3 Hex PU is too far away from the strings - it must be only 1 mm gap between top of GK3 and bottom of the strings

the air gap between the GK hex PU and the strings on your guitar is why your Gk String sensitivity must be maxed out to 90-100 range , and why the GP-10 patches don't sound "right"

Read the online installation guides
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto.html
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto_st.html

Use the supplied 1mm thickness gauge for adjusting GK-hex PU height

Bit of an update on this, I further - very carefully - lowered each string to the point when freting the last fret I can barely fit the gauge under them. Except for the low E string, that one must a be a wee bit above 1mm because if I put it any lower it will be too off balance to my action curve. Doing so got my levels to around 65-80 (on the low e string). Which I guess is ''normal''. Still don't fully get the whole curve thing but like I said, I just calculated that if clockwise it's 184 and counter it's around 400 and my radius is 240, then after counting the turns - 14 of them, I just set it back from 184 like 6 turns I think. So I set it a bit further. Maybe it's around 280 now, I can't know, but I doubt this is such a critical setting to the sound, or is it? It's hard to be ''exact'' with this setting, I mean, at least I don't know how to be except for the method mentioned.

jorelprime

Quote from: Brak(E)man on March 03, 2017, 02:10:26 AM
No the gr300 emulation shouldn't not track badly, it's hard to play very fast because the attack can be " spungie.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11834.msg87733#msg87733
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11834.msg89232#msg89232
Unless its OSC synth you shouldn't have any latency or glitches

I dont use the volume that much on gk
But it seems to work fine when I do

No sound from my pedal

It's a common problem but usually not with a new cable
It can be the gk3 connector
bad contact , but I'm no expert
I either buy a new cable or hand my guitar in
to my guit tech

As a side note
I've installed only one gk2 external kit on a stratlike guitar.
That is on a fretless squire , so even less room between body and string
I have had no problem but only used it with VG 88 and 99
GP 10 seems to me a bit more fidgety

1. Yes, I noticed I really have to adjust my picking style with the GR300 patches, I mean, what is ''clean'' normally is not good enough for that, I have to pick very ''clinically''. Still get some tracking issues though. Like notes dropping out and other notes randomly ringing. It seems very sensitive, the pickup, on some patches. Probably just touch another string lightly and it will ring it.

2. I did notice I have latency and tracking issues on a lot of the OSC patches yes. Then again, I also noticed some of them are sensitive to the pressure I put on the fingerboard. But I have a scalloped neck for a year now and have gotten a very light touch. With some of these patches though, I have to press down harder. Quite a bit. To ring out all the notes.
Some stuff - like the BTC synth patches for example - they pretty much all track with zero issues. Then some things like the electric piano from one of patches packs on this site, has latency all over it. But it's OSC based...

3. Well I tested it further, it goes from 100% volume to about 85% until almost down, then it goes to around 20% and 0%. I would take it into the shop to have it tested, if I didn't buy it online and would have to send it back via mail -> again.  :P Not a big deal anyway but doesn't seem right.

4. Maybe I should clarify, the sound is not coming out while playing. So it's not an issue. I just noticed while testing it out of the box. And it's still making that noise. Doesn't matter until it works.

5. I unplugged the cable and exchanged the two ends and now it's fine. *shrugs*

Anyway, so far so-so on the unit, some great stuff some not so great (any tips on getting the midi to usb function to track better on vst and midi stuff in daw's? I guess I should search the forum a bit) but I will keep on digging, since I'm a Boss/Roland guy since forever. And always wanted a gk pickup on my strat. Because my fave player has it, Blackmore.  ;D Speaking of him, I haven't noticed anyone make any patches based on his sound, which is normal pickups and whatever he uses to beef up the sound with some synth...I don't know what it is. Perhaps I should request it.

This forum is great btw, so many great information, patches and helpful users. Invaluable really.

mignolyx

Dear Elantric, i got GP-10 properly installed, driver, AdobeAir and Tone Studio. If i want to use it for recording, it's fine (not always) but if i try to use Tone Studio, it freeze my WIndows 7 64 bit PC based.
No way to have the choice of CTR+ALT+Canc option. I must reset manually my machine.
What happen, for you? It give me a lot of frustation. Have you a reasonable solution for it?

chrish

First thing i always try is an uninstall of both programs and then a reinstall of both programs.

alexmcginness

Quote from: jorelprime on March 03, 2017, 12:15:54 PM
Bit of an update on this, I further - very carefully - lowered each string to the point when freting the last fret I can barely fit the gauge under them. Except for the low E string, that one must a be a wee bit above 1mm because if I put it any lower it will be too off balance to my action curve. Doing so got my levels to around 65-80 (on the low e string). Which I guess is ''normal''. Still don't fully get the whole curve thing but like I said, I just calculated that if clockwise it's 184 and counter it's around 400 and my radius is 240, then after counting the turns - 14 of them, I just set it back from 184 like 6 turns I think. So I set it a bit further. Maybe it's around 280 now, I can't know, but I doubt this is such a critical setting to the sound, or is it? It's hard to be ''exact'' with this setting, I mean, at least I don't know how to be except for the method mentioned.

What I do is I set the action on my guitar then install the gk so that the 1st and 6th string are 1mm with the little tool when the string is depressed on the top fret. then use the tool under either the G or D string, depress either the D or G string at the last fret and adjust the curve until I get 1mm at that point. Somethimes the G string will be that pole that winds up being closer or the D string depending on the pickup so I set the 1mm distance to the closest one. Then you have your puckup adjusted to the curve of your guitar.
   I use one of these to measure the action on my guitars. Theyre supposed to be for measuring the nut but they also work for action too.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Nuts_and_Saddles/Nut_Slotting_Gauge.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2017-04-gp&pref_currency=H&shipcalc=CAN&gclid=CIyGstnghdMCFY-4wAodWUcFiA
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

AndreaF

Hi,

I have a Mini Piano Midi Box expander: is it possible to connect it to a GP10, and how? Or I can use midi sounds only with a computer or tablet?

Thanks

Andrea

admin

Quote from: AndreaF on January 08, 2019, 09:02:44 PM
Hi,

I have a Mini Piano Midi Box expander: is it possible to connect it to a GP10, and how? Or I can use midi sounds only with a computer or tablet?

Thanks

Andrea

The Primovasound MIDX-20 accomplishes what you seek

http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

AndreaF

Quote from: admin on January 08, 2019, 10:49:49 PM
The Primovasound MIDX-20 accomplishes what you seek

http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

Thanks a lot!Will this turn the GP10 into a proper midi controller to trigger sounds from any expander?

gumtown

Quote from: AndreaF on January 10, 2019, 11:30:54 PM
Thanks a lot!Will this turn the GP10 into a proper midi controller to trigger sounds from any expander?
Yes,
USB In/Out, Midi In/Out
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

carlb

Careful: The GP-10 doesn't send CC# (control change) messages. Just PC# (patch change) messages when a patch changes.

For what is being asked here though (sending MIDI note messages based on guitar input), I understand the GP-10 does that fine.

So ...

Guitar to GP-10 to MIDX-20 to MIDI sound source: AOK

GP-10 acting as the overall controller: won't. You'll need a MIDI foot controller to do the patch-to-patch coordination. Well, unless your MIDI sound source also happens to be a MIDI controller. (Not too many of those that I'm aware of.)

Likely scenario:

MIDI foot controller => MIDX-20 => GP-10
MIDI sound source  <= MIDX-20 <= GP-10

Anyone please correct this if it's wrong.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

CodeSmart

Quote from: carlb on January 11, 2019, 09:18:20 AM
Likely scenario:

MIDI foot controller => MIDX-20 => GP-10
MIDI sound source  <= MIDX-20 <= GP-10

Anyone please correct this if it's wrong.

Correct Carlb!

Scenarios:
MIDX Lower USB to GP-10
MIDX MIDI IN to MIDI foot controller
MIDX MIDI OUT to MIDI sound engine.

Or

MIDX Lower USB to GP-10
MIDX Upper USB to USB MIDI foot controller
MIDX MIDI OUT to MIDI sound engine.

Or

MIDX Lower USB to GP-10
MIDX Upper USB to USB MIDI sound engine device

Or

MIDX Lower USB to GP-10
MIDX Upper USB to USB MIDI foot controller
MIDX MIDI OUT to UM-ONE to camera adapter to iPad

Or

MIDX Lower USB to GP-10
MIDX MIDI OUT to UM-ONE to camera adapter to iPad
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

dreamsinger

I use a VG8 with a custom made midi/acoustic equipped with a GraphTech Hexpander and analog preamp. I bought a GP10 and I have to say the acoustic models sound like crap in comparison. Too much distortion and the tone barely resembles an acoustic guitar.

gvidelock

I just tried my Tele with a GraphTech Hexpander into my GP-10 and the acoustic sounds are excellent (through my headphones). The 12-string acoustic sounds good too.

Hard to troubleshoot from a distance, but do you have the GK input set to Piezo-G and the string sensitivities set for your pickup (mine are all set to 65). The distortion you hear might be that the sensitivity is set too high.

I use a modified acoustic patch from the patch exchange (don't remember which one exactly, but likely it was: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15800.0)

I haven't gigged the Tele in a couple of years, but when I did audience comments confirmed that it covered for acoustic guitars pretty convincingly through a set of full range amplified speakers (QSC K10's)...of course, there were mostly in bars...

OTOH, I have no experience with an acoustic guitar (or any non-solid body guitar) equipped with a GraphTech system, but I was ruling out the guitar since it works well with the VG8.

...Gary

update:

I did a quick recording after I did the post:
     6 String:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pto164wgch210t/Acoustic%20Patch%206%20String.mp3?dl=0
    12 String: https://www.dropbox.com/s/42ypisb60dszpyl/Acoustic%20Patch%2012%20String.mp3?dl=0
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head