GR-55 - How to Upload / Download GR-55 User patches.

Started by Elantric, February 23, 2011, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Roland GR-55 Documentation for Downloaded Patches
http://www.rolandus.com/go/gr-55_artist_patches/assets/gr-55_release_note_01.pdf

This document "INFOCUS02.pdf" is a "MUST READ" for all GR-55 owners, it walks you through how to use the  Roland Librarian.
https://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/INFOCUS02.pdf

GR-55 Librarian and USB Drivers must be downloaded here: (they are not in the box!)
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=GR-55
The diagram below shows how to load User GR-55 Patches (*.g5l files)

And read "GR-55LibrarianManualE.pdf (103.35 kB) attached below:

deka

Can anyone tell me how this works.If I download a patch here from this forum how to open it in the floorboard editor or is there another way?

gumtown

From the GR-55FloorBoard editor, click on the menu File > Open and choose the downloaded patch file.

The GR-55 needs to be connected with a USB cable and the GR-55 USB driver file installed first.
When the "GR-55" is selected as the midi device from the Preferences > midi/USB menu,
select the "connect" button,
if all is well, it will stay lit green.

To save the patch file to a GR-55 from the editor,
select a user patch location in the GR-55 by a "single mouse click"
on an expanded patch item in the "left panel patch-tree"  then click on the editor "write" button,
A popup dialog window will confirm your patch write intentions.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

deka

Thanks for the reply but it doesnt work that way.I conected with usb and I can use the sounds that are in the floor editor like "sound der helden" but when I want to open a file that I downloaded from the forum the floor editor doesn't even recognize it.The format of every file that I download from here is a PHP file.Any other suggestions ?

Elantric

QuoteThe format of every file that I download from here is a PHP file.Any other suggestions ?

This is a very recent problem  - and its due to the recent security updates to Firefox 8.0.

Members should be able to right click on any attached Patch  / Doc / MP3 files and download them. After the download, These files should have the same name as seen when users "right clicked" on them.

PROBLEM: All download files here at VGuitarForums using FireFox 8.0 default to the type: "index.php"  - and are not useable.

Solution:  I advise use Google Chrome browser, while we sort out a solution to this problem

deka

Quote from:  Elantric on November 30, 2011, 02:46:23 AM
This is a very recent problem  - and its due to the recent security updates to Firefox 8.0.

Members should be able to right click on any attached Patch  / Doc / MP3 files and download them. After the download, These files should have the same name as seen when users "right clicked" on them.

PROBLEM: All download files here at VGuitarForums using FireFox 8.0 default to the type: "index.php"  - and are not useable.

Solution:  I advise use Google Chrome browser, while we sort out a solution to this problem

Thank you very much my friend  :)

Machh_2

Is possible import some patch from flash drive connected at usb side port on GR55 ?

[]'s

ty

gumtown

Quote from:  Machh_2 on December 22, 2011, 03:41:22 AM
Is possible import some patch from flash drive connected at usb side port on GR55 ?

[]'s

ty
No, not single patch upload's.
The side USB port allows 'proprietry format' backup of the entire GR-55 system (all user patches and system settings of both guitar and bass mode).
The back USB port must be used with a USB cable and a host computer.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Machh_2

Gatordude

Not sure I can even figure it out if I find the right cable- But How do I know what size and where to buy the right usb cable to go from the back of the GR-55 to my mac????? Roland has lots of cables for sale online but I could NOT find any usb cables.

Elantric

QuoteNot sure I can even figure it out if I find the right cable- But How do I know what size and where to buy the right usb cable to go from the back of the GR-55 to my mac????? Roland has lots of cables for sale online but I could NOT find any usb cables.

A typical old school USB cable is all that is required. Type A (Host) to Normal Client (B) type is whats needed.

Just order a "USB Printer Cable"

Deacon Blue

I use the Librarian to upload patches to the unit. I connect the unit to the PC via USB, turn it on, call up the Librarian. Do a patch read on the GR 55. click on the new patch and it's own window opens up inside the Librarian. I highlight the new patch, go to the toolbar and copy, go to any init patch in your unit, highlight that and then go to the toolbar and hit insert. The new patch should be in its new location. Go to Write/Select and your highlighted patch will be written directly to the unit. This works for me...
"When your project isn't working, look for the part that you didn't think was important"
www.Bandmix.com/katylyst

ecca

I have problems getting the 'write' on the GR55 Floorboard editor ( better than the Roland Librarian )  button to have any effect. It lights up but doesn't save the patch to the GR55.
I modify the patch accordingly and then use the write button on the GR55 itself.
Works for me.

stirlo

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem writing patch using editor.You need to assign where you want the patch writing to by a single  mouse click on the user bank position you want the write to execute to...IE: User Bank 30 Patch 1.Just a single mouse click on the destination and then hit the write button on the editor and it will ask you to confirm the write...

Still loving your Shadows patch by the way......

MrJim65

I suppose there are copyright issues but Its a real shame you can't import/pay for patches from other software straight into the GR55.  For instance I use the mellotron sound from Abbey Roads keyboards in Reason and would love to have that in my GR55 patch bank....

ecca

Thanks for that Dave.
I've been looking at the Shads patch but that's the best I can do with it I think.
What would improve it further would be if we could introduce a little distortion to the echo alone.I don't think that's possible.
Like all digital delays, it's just too good.
Cheers

Jim Williams

QuoteI use the mellotron sound from Abbey Roads keyboards in Reason and would love to have that in my GR55 patch bank....

When I saw this I had to point something out. With 2 synth channels of 910 instruments that are fully customizable you should be able to duplicate any instrument under the sun. Select a wave synth (sawtooth, square, ETC) and play with the attack,decays and LFO's and you can find a way to produce what you want especially if you use both synths. Don't for get to take some time to apply the proper effects to your patch. To see how important this is just open up your favorite VST plugin and shut off the effects and you will have something completely different.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

MrJim65

You're probably right but I don't have the programming skills.
In addition they're bone fide recordings of each note sampled on the abbey road software as opposed to a replication of the sound although if you know what you're doing I accept you could get a pretty authentic representation:-if you really know what you're doing.....

tekrytor

Quote from:  MrJim65 on January 21, 2012, 08:19:00 AM
You're probably right but I don't have the programming skills.
In addition they're bone fide recordings of each note sampled on the abbey road software as opposed to a replication of the sound although if you know what you're doing I accept you could get a pretty authentic representation:-if you really know what you're doing.....

The beauty of the moddern synths, like the GR-55, is that they are based on digital samples of real instruments. The mellotron is/was a tape based sampler with a small batch of factory samples of strings and other mostly orchestral sounds. With a little effort, you can probably get pretty close to the better known mellotron patches. The name Mellotron conjurs up flashbacks of early King Crimson, for me, and Magical Mystery Tour. Hmmmm.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

MrJim65

Quote from:  tekrytor on January 21, 2012, 10:04:25 AM
The beauty of the moddern synths, like the GR-55, is that they are based on digital samples of real instruments. The mellotron is/was a tape based sampler with a small batch of factory samples of strings and other mostly orchestral sounds. With a little effort, you can probably get pretty close to the better known mellotron patches. The name Mellotron conjurs up flashbacks of early King Crimson, for me, and Magical Mystery Tour. Hmmmm.
\
I'd be happy to put in the effort but wouldn't have a clue where to start:-couldnt point me in the right direction could you?
I was thinking the Flutey sort of sound used in the intro of Strawberry Fields.
Thanks

tekrytor

I know what you mean now. I'll give it a go and get back. It might be a day or two though. I wasn't sure which mellotron patch you were referring to at first. Strawberry Fields has that erie caliope like flute intro, yeah! That warble is from the tape loops, like listening to cheap or old 8-track or cassette tapes, very retro now. I'm on it...
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

MrJim65

Thanks tekrtor:-very interested to hear how this turns out...

Kenmac

Actually when you mentioned this yesterday MrJim65 I figured I'd try making a patch that has that distinctive Mellotron "flavour". I was working on it last night but (slaps forehead) I forgot to write the patch to the unit!  ::) As tekrytor says, you need that kind of cheap, almost grainy type flavour for that particular flute sound. What I used for the flute patch to give it that was the Lo-Fi compress pedal. It's designed for bit reduction which helps with that grainy sound and as it says in the manual "This is an effect that intentionally degrades the sound quality for creative purposes". I set the "LoFi" type setting to level 5 but left everything else at the default setting. I also set the filter to LoPass. It's actually pretty easy to nail that sound using the Lo-Fi compress pedal. I also tried using the brass ensemble and running that through the LoFi compress pedal as well and it sounded like the Mellotron brass on the song. Give it a try.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

tekrytor

FYI...
I just posted my first go at a Strawberry Fields patch to the Rock patches section for GR-55, here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5307.0

I saved it as a patch only, so it should be safe to try in other GR-55s if loaded as a patch, without harming system, global, GK, etc settings.

There is no guitar, neither COSM nor Normal PU, only PCM synths with strings and flute.

Cheers!