Eventide H9000

Started by admin, November 30, 2016, 08:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

http://www.freevox.fr/catalogue/son/peripheriques-audio/multi-effet/multicanal/h9000-processeur-d-effets-multicanal

Eventide H9000

Paris, France (June 8, 2016)—Eventide came to the 140th AES Convention, held this past weekend in the City of Lights to demonstrate to select customers and distributors a new multichannel/multi-element signal-processing system aimed for the special effects and object-based rendering industry. Scheduled to be formally unveiled at the AES Convention in Los Angeles this coming October, the new as-yet-unnamed device is being targeted at the music-recording, film/TV post-production and live-performance communities.

Utilizing a quartet of high-power ARM processors mounted on plug-in boards that allow subsequent updates when next-generation and/or faster DSP chips became available, the new system feature 32 inputs and 32 discrete outputs per DSP module, enabling up to four multichannel effects paths to be run simultaneously.

RELATED ARTICLES
   Eventide Bows SpaceTime for H9 Harmonizer
   Review: Eventide Anthology X Bundle
   Eventide, Visconti Bow Bowie-Inspired Tverb
A custom graphical user interface will allow full integration with Avid Pro Tools and other current DAWs, or use from a stand-alone application. Eventide will also offer a version of the GUI that runs on an Apple iPad or PCs/Macintosh PCs via a Wi-Fi or USB connection, as well as fully-compatible AU, AAX and VST plug-ins.

"Initially, frequency- and time-domain effects will be draw from our existing H8000 and H9 processors—with other EQ, dynamics plus reverb effects in development—and can be run in parallel or series, to effectively create a fully-programmable, four-element channel strip per processing engine," said software engineer Joe Bamberg.

While initial application for the processing system will be towards developing multi-element channel strips for music production—possibly one path dedicated to vocals, another to a piano track plus others for drum and guitar—the unit's multi-channel I/O and multiple processing options are expected to enable object-based EQ, dynamic and ambience processing needed for immersive-sound production projects being undertaken within the motion-picture and TV-post community, in addition to multichannel sound playback for live performance, including acoustic enhancement systems.

End-user cost for the codenamed product, which will also feature Audinate Dante, Thunderbolt, Ravenna/AES67 and AVB networking, has yet to be determined.

Eventide
www.eventide.com

The new generation of H9000 multi-effects processors has a modular architecture for a customized configuration of DSP power and I / O. Compatible with the most popular audio networks, it offers multichannel processing capabilities equivalent to ten times the power of the H8000 series, a performance impossible to achieve until now, even with software solutions plug-ins.
The H9000 is designed to include all of Eventide's most renowned effects in a solution that fits perfectly into all current production situations: studio, live, post-production and broadcast. It has an innovative and intuitive user interface: a color display on the front, plus the emote ™ software, available for Mac, PC and iOS, as well as AAX, VST and AU plug-in formats.
Delivered with thousands of immediately usable effects, the H9000 is able to simultaneously execute up to 16 algorithms: delay, diatonic pitch-shifting, flangers, EQs, reverberations, with the possibility of creating its own multichannel effects. It is fully compatible with the H8000, H7600, H9 algorithms and the VSIG development platform.
The new "FX Chain" feature allows you to combine up to 4 algorithms to create "Super-Effects".
The H9000 is equipped with a modular DSP section, consisting of 4 independent slots, each capable of handling 32 audio channels. Input / output configuration is also expandable, 3 slots for compatibility with audio formats: Pro Tools, Thunderbolt, Dante, MADI, Ravenna, AVB, AES67 and USB Audio.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/1125577-eventide-h9000.html

aliensporebomb

OH BABY - seriously? 

Bear with me now - this looks awesome.  But, it also means someday I might be able to get an H8000FW or the like.  Thinking optimistically!  Because realistically this will probably be expensive.  Four ARM processors?  Oof dah!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

About $5k

And seems geared to 32 channel Dolby  Atmos systems ( the new DCI Audio format for cinema)

Similar audio I/O channel count has been used by Cirque de sole for 25 years

Elantric

vanceg

So... I haven't been able to say anything about it...since it's only been really announced recently, but I've kinda been working with them on on off for the H9000 project for a while now.  Granted: I'm very much on the edges of the project, but I've been involved with it since near it's inception.
And, yes, it is an amazing monster.  It's got a LOAD of power. 

One of the concepts I've been considering for the H9K is turning it into a multichannel (hexaphonic or octophonic) guitar processor.   I've done some initial work on the idea and it seems entirely plausible.  I could imagine using 6 (or 8) of it's inputs, one for each string.  It should be entirely possible to setup individual string processing with effects such as EQ, Compression, Distortion, Pitch Shifting, Ring Modulation...etc.   One could even do panning inside the box or use separate outputs to send each string to a different speaker. I suspect I'd use about 1/2 of the H9K for single string effects, and the other half for a stereo mix that I would make of those individually processed channels. 

I've been pretty excited about the concept of taking the processing I've long been able to do on the VG-99, and expanding beyond, adding those features I always wished the VG-99 had in there.

But, of course, this is a fairly enormous endeavor.  One may want to "simply" use the H9K as a more 'standard' signal processor, running guitar (and anything else) through it's massive processing engine. 

I know that I have had an AMAZINGLY fun time running my VG-99 through it.  I've been able to set up parallel effects chains that are absolutely INSANE:  The ability to apply several of Eventide's complex processing algorithms (which are, themselves, combinations of many effects - Reverbs, pitch shifters, filters, all fed back on one another through complex filters, for example ) has spoiled me for any other effects platform.  The combination of programmability and power here is pretty insane.

I can't say that moving back to using my H8000 is disappointing at all, but having essentially 4 x H8000's to play with at the same time is... mind boggling.

mchad

There's a new a stompbox in that vid at 2:32. Intriguing.

Can't. Wait. For. NAMM.

aliensporebomb

Really cool.  The 99 through that beast would be truly awesome.  Or a hex breakout box that allows the H9000 to be a super hex processing unit.  I'm sure with a box like that the possibilities are literally unlimited.  But, it's like having four H8000's in a box but expanded even beyond the capabilities of a single H8000?  Brain boggling. 

And that stompbox.  The wording was interesting.  Do only one thing but in a novel/unusual way?  I await the NAMM announcements.

admin

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1181582-eventide-h9000-officially-unveiled-aes-convention-october-18th-2017-a.html

https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/gestalt7/news-lab-h9000-part-1
News from the Lab: H9000 Part 1
Hello! My name is Jack Impink. I am an electronic musician by trade, working with both gear and software. I like to use older equipment alongside programs like Max/MSP to see what kind of odd sounds will be produced. I've been working in the Eventide Labs beta testing the H9000, and I can't wait to show you what I've been finding so far.

First and foremost, the big news: Eventide will be unveiling the H9000 at the 143rd AES Convention on October 18th, 2017! You may have seen some footage of the unit from a certain promotional video already, but in this blog we'll be going a little deeper. Tune in to see what features we're working on and any hidden gems that I discover along the way.

Eventide H9000 Harmonizer Network-ready Multi FX, Multi Channel, Effects Processor

The Interface
Let me begin by saying: I love simple interfaces. I've used gear and software before that requires me to pore over the entire manual at least twice before I can even get sound out of it. One would think upon hearing about the extent of the H9000's abilities (e.g. FX chains, network audio, remote app) that it would be a menu-diving nightmare to get it to spit out a hall reverb, but I managed to get it up and running with full functionality in a mere twenty minutes without the use of a manual. How? The entire interface is laid out right in front of your eyes. I was able to fly through the menus by using the main buttons (Parameters, Algorithms, etc.) in conjunction with the unlabeled side menu buttons that correspond to each menu shift. Placing a reverb algorithm in an effects chain is as easy as:

ALGORITHMS [main button] → ENTER [Check button] →  TAGS [side button] → REVERB and pick your favorite. Done!

So Many Presets!
2017 presets, to be exact. There's nothing wrong with just picking something and going with it, however. It's hard to mess things up when there are so many presets in the factory memory to choose from. Some of these presets are holdouts from the H8000, DSP4000, and H3000, and some are hot off the press from the H9 Harmonizer®.

Presets are a good way to get started, but the H9000 has a new "randomize parameters" function - an option in an effects unit that I've daydreamed about for years now. If you want some new spice for your favorite preset, just mix it up and see what happens.

Made to Connect
The H9000 does not mess around in terms of connectivity, either. The unit is intended to be fully modular with as many connections as you would like to add.

Eventide H9000 Harmonizer Rear Panel connections

8-Channel Analog In/8-Channel Analog Out
(2) XLR Analog In / (2) XLR Analog Out
MIDI In, Out, and Thru
4 Female Type 2.0 USB ports
1 USB Type B port, allowing 16 channels of USB audio in & out
1 Ethernet port
(2) ¼" Expression Pedal jack
(2) ¼" Relay jacks
MIDI In, Out, and Thru
Word Clock In/Out
Optical In/Out
S/PDIF In/Out
AES/EBU In/Out
(3) Expansion I/O slots (For optional DANTE, MADI, and AVB)
There is, of course, no single use for the H9000, but the unit is intended to be used as a soundcard/Swiss Army knife for a DAW – hence, the option to plug an 8-In analog snake from your mic preamps or other gear directly into the H9000. You can then process audio using the unit, sync it perfectly with any other outboard gear you may be using, and bounce it down all within the computer without breaking a sweat. I'm very used to having to use delay compensation and many exhausting workarounds to get my effects units to sing in time with my computer, but the H9000 is everything you could possibly need contained inside one unit.

You can also easily use it as a classic rackmount effects processor à la 1990's outboard rack gear – the menus make it easy to find the best sound and dial in the right effects to the right outputs. A computer is a mere nicety with such a powerful box running the show. It really redefines what a workstation can be; there is no need for any other digital effects processor, or even any plugins for that matter, should you have the H9000 in your studio.

admin

admin

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2018-eventide-h9000-r-slave-unit/

Eventide is in full swing at NAMM 2018, showcasing its uber beast of a hardware effects processor – the H9000. The company announced this product — the pinnacle of its legacy of fx processors – last year, and it's gearing up to start shipping it en masse in March 2018.

However, the H9000 isn't alone at the show. Keeping it company is a slave unit – the H9000R. Its front panel is virtually empty, save for a Networking button, a Power button, and a pair of USB ports. We suspected that the real party is going on at the unit's rear panel, and we weren't wrong – it's intense! Let's examine.

Right off the bat, we see three expansion slots – presumably for memory, given their eponymous size. Moving downwards, we get the following:

Power cable connector – 100-240 VAC / 50-60Hz 80W
Four pedal relay inputs
Ethernet port and 2 USB ports
AES/EBU port
MIDI – Thru, Out, In
Word clock – Out, In
Optical – Out, In
S/PDIF – In, Out
AES/EBU – Out, In
Analog outputs – 2 channels, 3-pin XLR
Analog inputs – 2 channels, 3-pin XLR
Basically, it's an exact copy of the Eventide H9000's rear panel. So purchasing this unit nets you precisely double the amount of connectivity the processor already has. And that's all there is to the expander, really.

Pricing for the Eventide H9000R is as follows:

RRP excl. VAT: 4.999,00 EUR
RRP incl. 19% VAT: 5948,81 EUR
The Eventide H9000's pricing:

RRP excl. VAT: 6,999,00 EUR
RRP incl. 19% VAT: 8328,81 EUR
Outfitting your studio with the H9000 and its expander unit, the H9000R, will have the total cost of:

RRP excl. VAT: 11,998 EUR
RRP incl. 19% VAT: 14277,62 EUR
Better start saving up, then!

vanceg

It really is brain boggling.  It's kinda more like having 8 x H8000's...in the amount of horsepower, and like having 16 in terms of routing. 
It's very slow going since the product is new and I also have a new day job and a new infant human in my life, but I'm working on a bunch of hex (actually octophonic) signal processing algorithms for the H9K now.  It will take a long while.

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 24, 2016, 07:31:27 AM
Really cool.  The 99 through that beast would be truly awesome.  Or a hex breakout box that allows the H9000 to be a super hex processing unit.  I'm sure with a box like that the possibilities are literally unlimited.  But, it's like having four H8000's in a box but expanded even beyond the capabilities of a single H8000?  Brain boggling. 

And that stompbox.  The wording was interesting.  Do only one thing but in a novel/unusual way?  I await the NAMM announcements.

thebrushwithin

admin

acousticglue

Quote from: thebrushwithin on December 15, 2018, 05:16:22 PM

The pad sounds I have been emulating with Quadrovox plugin, preamp/compressor, reverb/delay and filter plugins. You can do a 9000 type pad using just plugins

admin

Jerry64

Hello Everyone,

I guess this is THEE thread for the Eventide H9000? For the past few weeks I have been trying to get an idea of how to build a system around a 13 pin Ghost Midi Pickup System. Since I got the idea to build a Les Paul and install something close to Robert Fripp; midi, piezo, Fernandes Sustainer and Floyd Rose which is where my piezo pickups are located, I also studied his rack set up.
So I finally located and bought Axon Ax 100 MK II, I'm currently awaiting delivery. 

Since I use an amp for clean tones with Celestion Blue Bulldogs
And will have another for distortion with Celestion G12H30's - will not go for Pulsonic cones at this stage in the game
I will have a neutral amp primarily for this midi & H9000.

So my questions are:
What do I need to run the Axon thru the Eventide?
Can I also run the other two amps individually through the Eventide?
How would go about putting a rig like this together?

I love both digital and old analog traditional Colorsound foot pedals; wah, fuzz, overdrive, and univibe and a vintage tape echo. But with a H9000? The pssibilities are endless

Thanks,

Jerry

aliensporebomb

Well, the Axon as I understand it is a guitar to midi converter so it doesn't make any sounds itself, am I correct?  So what synthesizer are you planning on using with it?
You would use a stereo out from the sound source to the H9000.   Or a mixer which would have a mix of sounds. 

As far as Fripp's setup, I created a miniature replica of what he does using a VG-99 and a looper.  I found a great part of what he was doing was processing each string individually, pitching it up or down as the case may be and effecting it.  Then looping the result.  Some of what you would think is a synth isn't.

In looking at his setup, he basically had a giant gigging headache because he had multiple effects processors going into a big delay/looper.  That's changed over time but
he still has a setup that is a headache for anyone wanting to set-up quick and tear down quick. 

Over the years, I've expanded my mini setup that where I added a Strymon Big Sky to kind of ape the Eventide effects since an H9000 is $$$$.  You can hear the result of this setup here:

For mixing conventional guitar sounds with the super effected stuff I actually use the VG-99 for nearly everything. For live shows separate bringing clean and dirty amps doesn't make much sense since for some of the gigs I do I have limited time to set-up and tear down time. 

I use FFRR for everything, my real guitar amp pretty much stays at home these days. If I were gigging tomorrow I'd probably bring my SY-1000 since that's 8 years newer tech-wise.

For recording using real amps has worked but here's a recording from 9 years ago where all sounds (even the distorted lead guitar and drum sounds) were the VG-99 going into a Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai - direct into the PA. 

It was really precarious because there's no undo with that looper and just one loop but this performance worked out.  I later moved to a Boss RC-300 with 3 stereo loops, undo and the trimmings.   I'd bet the H9000 can do that stuff and effect the sounds without breaking a sweat.

In the cameraman had pulled an all nighter so a good performance was kind of marred by him dropped the camera on and off throughout - this video is just VG-99 into looper, I didn't have the Big Sky at that time:

If you still want to use conventional amps you'd probably have to have a mixer with direct outs from the amp or mic'ed speakers into a submixer then take that into the H9000.

I think Fripp is on revision 3 of what he has been using since the early days.  And some of the "doubled" equipment in his rack I'd have to imagine are backups in case something goes down during a show.  But I also know he sometimes is running in quad, literally surround sound so...

Anyway, questions, just ask.  I tried to do what you were doing and I ended up having a JC-120, a Mesa Boogie, a 3 space rack of modules and it was just a backbreaker for lugging around.

Jerry64

Your recordings are outstanding. I love the aural landscapes and ambiences that you have created. And you definitely know your way around creating a guitar synth rig. Since I live here in New Jersey, I helped my friend John resurrect Trainwreck Amps after our friend Ken Fischer passed away. He has the most critical ear I know of, over the years we have spoken about pedals and rackmount equipment. He has experience with Lexicon...and one of my best friends Bill worked at Eventide. Once he told everyone at Eventide about John, they are eager to see how their  stuff will work with his amps. Only reason I'm thinking of a H9000 is I build guitars and I could part with one or two and get one?

From what gather, the Axon does generate tones? But I will need more time on it to be exact, I think the Axon goes into the Fractal Axe ? then mixer, then effects processing out to amp? I guess I will have sort through this information. I certainly do not see myself lugging around different set ups, but building a clean rig with minimal pedals, an aggressive rig with a few, and this guitar synth rig. The thing I like about the H9000 is that it is a computer basically. It really is amazing. I guess when I get one, hopefully I can visit Eventide and get a first hand tutorial on the H9000? And bring some of the newly designed amps to try out with them? I will keep you posted.

This video and website gave some ideas on how to go about achieving some of Fripp's ideas?

https://equipboard.com/pros/robert-fripp?page=2

thank you,

Jerry

admin

Axon is a Guitar  to MIDI convertor  - it only generates tone  if the optional internal Waveblaster board ( typically Yamaha DB50XG) is installed
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=915.100#msg197344

Most Axon users elect to trigger external synths
Like these
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=50.0

The H9000 is an effects processor - no MIDI trigerable internal sounds