Age discrimination for baby boomers

Started by amplayer, March 21, 2014, 09:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapperboy

Hear ya'll loud and clear!
(gotta turn my flame on this morning, so bear with me please...)
After a wildly successful career as a systems and support software PM with one of the big Telcos up here in Canada with lots of bonuses, perks, A++ performance ratings etc. great salary etc., when I hit the big Six O, I got caught in a HR head-count pension analysis net as to whether it was cheaper to let those with Defined pensions and keep working until their full term value is reached or to 'package' me off. (those old school guaranteed payout pensions are now rare especially in the IT/tech world other than big Gov jobs are virtually unobtainable for new hires nowadays) So, I was packaged off (cash settlement with reduced early pension).  As many senior people in this large company often told me, NOBODY is untouchable, even with special knowledge and lots of friendly bosses watching your back.  As well to add to the pain of older workers, special business and engineering knowledge regardless of expertise and performance are often trumped now by some 'miracle' Consulting firm who shows up and sells the CEO's office on the story that they can do it better with 30% less cost.  We had many of those outside consultant engagements, big Accenture included, who ran their course, left a mess, took the money and ran...with very few of any real business improvements.  But boy are they good at writing themselves bullet proof contracts and exit deals which guarantee all their owners partners moon size golden parachutes -no matter what the real outcomes.  Great work if you can get it!

I Just finished watching that terrible 3 part production of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and while I certainly don't embrace all those 'self-made-screw-the less-fortunate Trump/Republican values, it sure would be nice if we started to re-value knowledge, experience and expertise.
Oh, but if you can build some useless social media crap that be spun out to allow your company to suck the monthly paycheck out of 30 million subscribers, well son, you've got a Job...just like Steve did with that fruit company.  Donald Fagen nailed our now crushed optimism on Night Fly with that great tune 'IGY' IMHO.
Otherwise,
-Jazzy Cheers to all Vguitar enthusiasts, experimenters, modders and tone envelope pushers!
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

mbenigni

QuoteWe had many of those outside consultant engagements, big Accenture included, who ran their course, left a mess, took the money and ran...with very few of any real business improvements.  But boy are they good at writing themselves bullet proof contracts and exit deals which guarantee all their owners partners moon size golden parachutes -no matter what the real outcomes.

Too familiar.  Why anyone signs these contracts is a mystery for the ages.  Hiring consultants to do technical "grunt work" makes sense, but hiring a massive consultancy to supplant your own management is like giving away the keys to the castle.  Pay someone millions to solve your problems, and the first thing they'll make sure of is that you have plenty of problems.

Chumly

I teach at a large public technical institution (electrical trades) thus my age and experience are seen as benefits not drawbacks.  Most of my students are in the 18 to 30 age range and it's sadly amusing how their earlier years have ill-prepared them for working with tools, understanding power distribution systems, etc. and in truth I was more competent in those regards when I was 15, than many are now at twice that age.

There was a time, that performing live as a solo act constituted a goodly portion of my time and income, but those days faded out. I like to think I saw the writing on the wall years ago and switched gears accordingly, but as likely as not, I was simply lucky

I'm near 60, still with very nice full head of hair (that should I decide to dye it would belie my age to some fair extent, as I am still pretty much a wrinkle-free puppy).

As to marketers aiming towards the youth, yep the fashion and music industries are that way it seems, but not all industries are; for example funeral homes, investment houses and estate lawyers adore old people.  So if you're old and have money, you'll have a very sympathetic ear (all for a price of course).
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

aliensporebomb

I'm very fortunate that I don't really appear my age.  I always felt I was born about 13-14 years too early so don't really resemble or act like anyone of my age.  The other interesting thing is people at the office often guess my age as being about 10-15 years younger than it actually is.  All those years of bike riding have helped in that endeavor.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

neshel

Quote from: Elantric on March 21, 2014, 09:46:05 AM
Indeed - particularly with new oBamaCare, Im in perfect health, yet most small Engineering companies can not afford the current 2014 Health Insurance for someone my age, I already pay a $600/ mo deductable, and this is with my company paying another $700/mo for an Employee Health insurance plan.

Hmmmm....this brings to mind the way someone can file that income taxes are illegal (this does work, I knew a gal who did this, who learned it from a retired Marine who found out because he was being politically attacked - had the IRS sicked on him - ooops, bad move), and that there's probly a similar route to tell them 'no I don't want your health care system'......

@Kevin M: socioeconomic power basically means not buying their sh**, and getting the word out why. I'm fortuntate. Most sh** in the world I don't want. This includes media and sports. Ahh, if everyone were along similar lines.

chrish

Quote from: Elantric on March 24, 2014, 01:12:32 PM
i was at a Jam session yesterday with old band mates and we are age 67-55 average. The dominant fact shared in discussion over a beer  is how "invisible" we are to current marketing efforts and how "invisible"  most of us feel in public,
I was catching up on some of these old but good threads.

It's now 2016 and the ad folks have now figured out how to market to our age group. On the evening network news, which i'm guessing are not viewed by the young, every other ad is trying to sell a drug that allows us to play with our dogs in a flowery meadow with smiles on faces because we're so happy that we were wise enough to take their side effect ridden drug.

I'm fortunate that i come from good dna immigrant stock and have a passion for high risks sport like mountain biking (biked 1080 miles of mountain single track last season) and ski mountaineering (climbed 170,000 vertical feet so far this year) where you focus and make smart decisions or you get messed up. I also hike and uncounted number of miles every year.

I'm 61 and have a friend who i'll try to keep up with on a ski tour tommorow who's 70. Diet, exercise, passion, and good ediblies. Also, reach out to those young who appreciate learning what you know.

My friend and i mentor many younger folks who hang with us in the mountains.

They figure that since we are still alive that we must know what we are doing. Naw, we just survived those mountain things (rock fall, avalanche, icy falls) that almost killed us.  LIFE.

Edit for paragraphs

BBach

When I was young I must have thought that old age was punishment for not being cool. Maybe I was right. If we make it to fifty, we probably didn't take enough risks. Remember when airline stewardess's got their jobs because they were attractive young babes, then when they got old, they started suing the airlines for age discrimination when they got replaced by young attractive babes. We baby boomers were not overly reverential towards our elders. Our generation enjoyed unprecedented market influence for longer than any other generation I can think of. Some smart entrepreneurs could probably do very well harnessing the talents of underrated old farts. We will still be a huge market. Only these days it will be for health care and assisted living. I'm still enjoying life in my marginalized state. Let's hope the over stressed younger citizens don't decide to kill us off.

gumbo

In the city where I line (in Oz) we have an AM (remember them?) radio station which plays 'Classic Hits'...
...the ad guys have certainly got it sussed out because every advertisement (and there are LOTS) is directed towards health care products, assisted living, pre-paid funerals and grey (gray) nomad holidays...

I get really p!$$ed off, 'coz at 68-next-month and driving back from band practice, it's obviously got nothing to do with ME... >:(
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Chumly

Sorry to upset your aging applecart, but it won't be '68 next month, it was '68 forty-seven years ago (but then, what's a half-century plus or minus in the big picture?). Oh, and if I may be so bold as to make one further correction, it's persisted outliving not assisted living (but then, what's in a name?).
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

gumbo

Quote from: Chumly on April 30, 2016, 07:57:21 PM
Sorry to upset your aging applecart, but it won't be '68 next month, it was '68 forty-seven years ago (but then, what's a half-century plus or minus in the big picture?). Oh, and if I may be so bold as to make one further correction, it's persisted outliving not assisted living (but then, what's in a name?).

...problem is, not only do I turn 68 next month, I can also remember 1968 quite clearly....   

..what happened the day before yesterday sometimes has me stumped.....sigh!
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

BBach

Quote from: Chumly on April 30, 2016, 07:57:21 PM
Oh, and if I may be so bold as to make one further correction, it's persisted outliving not assisted living (but then, what's in a name?).

Care to elaborate, Chumly ?

admin

Must be a Canadian  thing

Its called assisted living or hospice care south of the border here in USA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_living

I'm sure it's called something different elsewhere

But it's important to know we have a global membership and many local customs in your region of the globe may be completely different elsewhere

But let's get back on topic of guitar and not bicker about who is going to be age 68 vs who remembers 1968

I'm age 61 and I remember 1961 clear as a bell (but cant remember what I ate for breakfast ;)

DF400

I ran across this article a couple days ago worth reading -
http://nyti.ms/1r1EYmi

Music keeps my mind young, as exercise does for my physical health. Aside from being my passion, I find playing engages all the senses and exercises connection between them. Not really theory - but works for me...

Chumly

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 01, 2016, 08:06:40 AMBut let's get back on topic of guitar and not bicker about who is going to be age 68 vs who remembers 1968
The inherent playfulness of human language in all its forms; without which there would be no art, without which there would be no vguitarforums.com, let alone many of the things you hold dear.