RC300 sync (mis-)behaviour

Started by andgar, July 23, 2012, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopkins

Quote from: shawnb on August 06, 2012, 08:54:52 PMActually this bugs me, as Loop Sync should not quantize/force measure alignment.   But it does.  I included this in the bug writeup to Roland.  Loop Sync should simply do what the doc says: align start times of the phrases, to the start time of the longest phrase.

It's like all their testing was done by beats folks, and nobody really made sure these settings worked independently of each other...

Haha, it sounds like we are both critical of the "assumed" loop quantise settings for different reasons.  Although what you say is true, I cannot imagine why you would not want quantisation on given the way that they chose to implement Loop Sync (i.e. to imagine all tracks are part of a one big repeating block, defined by the longest track).  However, I *can* imagine why it would perhaps be desirable in conjunction with my suggestion for "Loop Sync SNAP" (second on the features list).

I don't necessarily share your criticism that only the beat boxers had significant input, I think it was probably just an attempt to simplify things.

shawnb

Major learning to add to this thread...   Not 100% sure it's a bug, it's certainly an undocumented feature...   

If the MIDI Sync setting is set to "MIDI" (not Internal), measure alignment is forced.

I've been pulling my hair out all night on this one...   I've been trying to record loose free stuff, and I kept getting gaps while it waited for the next measure to start...   Checked Loop Sync, Tempo Sync & FREE about a dozen times.   Finally went thru ALL settings one by one, found I had this set incorrectly.   I had been working on something else yesterday, and didn't want any clock messages on the MIDI bus, so I set this to MIDI, forgot I did so... 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Hopkins

Thanks.  Presumably, since they only want you to sync one RC-300 with another, if you set it to MIDI then it assumes that you want to quantise your loops.  Still, it is a shame that they do not let the master RC-300 dictate these settings.  (I still think it is really weird that they don't let you change the tempo on the master - this seems like a major limitation.)