RC-300 - Complex Live Looping Set Up Question:

Started by blumood9, April 26, 2016, 09:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blumood9

Hey everybody! Hope all is well in your worlds-

I have a question regarding my live looping set up, which includes: Godin ACS-SA Guitar, Roland VG-99, Boss RC-300, Roland HPD-10, Roland SPD-20, Ableton Live 9/Maschine/Novation Plug in Synths controlled by a Novation Impulse 25, a Komplete Audio USB Interface, and 2 Audix Microphones, one running through a TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2 Pedal, and an Allen & Heath ZED10 USB Mixer>QSC Power Amp>Yorkville Subwoofer/Yamaha Speaker.

I'll include a few photos to give you a better idea of what it looks like:

Here's the question/problem i'm running into, as the sound is great, but I have it set up with the Main outs of the Rc-300 Looper>Power Amp, and the Main Outs of the Mixer> Inputs of the Looper....with each instrument/drum module/microphone going into an indiv. channel, so they can all run through the looper....

The problem is the Main/Master volume ends up being the RC-300, and not the Mixer....I'd like to have it set up where the mixer is the last thing going out to the speakers, rather than the looper....because i'm trying to record through the mixer>computer.

I've spoken with several folks on how to make an adjustment to the setup, but nothing has quite worked yet. I know someone out there might have the answer for me! Hope you guys can help!

Beirne

I have a similar setup. But I have a mixer with 4 sub mixes. That makes it possible to have the Boss come back in to the mixer and have the sub outs go to recording/monitor. Just be careful to avoid an audio feedback loop.
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

sixeight

Had a quick look at the block diagram of the ZED10. You should use the main L/R inserts to connect the looper. The inserts are pre master fader and are also fed to the USB out.

You will need two inserts cables, with a stereo jack on the mixer side and two monitor jacks to left in and other on the looper side. More info in insert:
http://sound.stackexchange.com/questions/24665/how-do-i-use-the-insert-i-o-on-my-behringer-mixer

AFAIK this should work...

blumood9

@Beirne and @sixeight::

Thank you guys so much for the replies and advice....instead of adding another mixer, i grabbed a couple insert cables, made a few small adjustments, and everything is working flawlessly. You guys rock!

sixeight

You are welcome.  Glad you got it working.

blumood9

Well I finally decided to get a bigger mixer, add a few more things to the mix. I ended up going with the Mackie ProFX12 (v2) 12 channel mixer. I'm running into the same problem as I did with the Allen & Heath. The sound is crystal clear, yet i'm not able to record because of how I have the looper/mixer/subs and pa set up.

So, to skip through all the confusing stuff: the ultimate goal is: To run each instrument through indiv. channels on the mixer, have all of those running through the RC-300, and then all of it>PA system/sub. I'd like to be able to record my live shows and such, but the way its all chained is preventing that from happening.

Right now I have.

RC300 Looper Inputs>Main Outs of Mixer
RC300 Looper Main Outs>Inputs of Power Amp

The Looper is basically acting as the Main out/Mixer for everything, which is running to the PA. I'd like to have the Mixer be the Main Out>PA instead of the looper. I know i have it set up wrong and its probably a simple fix. The Mackie Mixer is a usb mixer to, so if i could set it up right, i'd be able to record straight from there.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Syph

Hey man,

If you are looping/working in mono then you could send go something like:

Instrument -> Desk channel 1 -> Aux out -> RC300 in -> RC out -> Desk channel 2 -> Desk Main out -> power amp/speaker etc...

If you want to work in stereo though then I think you may have a little more of a hassle testing something on that desk.

From what I can see, there is a mono Aux out, and there is an FX send. The FX send seems to go to the internal FX unit but there is also a FX send out next to the aux out. I would guess that jack sends either the Post FX unit sound, or it sends the PRE FX unit mix.

Either way, the point was if you can get the FX send to act like an AUX send, then you have a functional stereo AUX, and you can control the stereo field using AUX send as a left channel and FX send as the right channel.

Hope some of that is of use :)

blumood9

Hey Syph, thank you for the advice! I gave it a try but no luck. I'm using all mono for each individual instrument, yet wasn't able to get it working with the setup from your post. Not sure why, but no sound. Hmmm....Frustration haha! I just don't want the Looper being the final chain before it goes to the pa/speakers. Its backwards, somehow, yet sounds perfect....but I'm sure its a quick fix, can't quite figure it out!

sixeight

With the Mackie mixer you can connect sub out 1 and 2 to the inputs of the RC300. All the input channels that have to go through the looper must have the L/R button switched off and the 1/2 button next to the address switched on. Make sure the sub out masters 1 and 2 are up and switch off the L and R buttons above these masters.

The output of the RC300 can be connected to two free channels. Here L/R is on and 1/2 is off. You could even use the aux return inputs for this. Make sure you turn up the "to main L/R" knob on the mixer.

blumood9

Thank ya for the help six eight, but i have the profx12, which is a bit different than the other Mackie profx mixers, so it doesn't have sub outs on this one. the mixer configuration is a bit different on the proFx12.

sixeight

I must have googled the wrong mixer.  You will have to use the aux output.  Read about pre and post auxiliaries.  Maybe you can work out why you couldn't get that setup working.