WISH LIST FOR NEXT ROLAND UNIT ? What's your ultimate pedal?

Started by Elantric, February 10, 2008, 08:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dblacha

Thanks, sorry for a broken link (I should check the "Preview" option before I send).

OK, it is my other, the "must have" in my VG:
An arpeggio function in the hex instance.
And, "hand arpeggio": done by actively muting not played strings (actually, sort of this it is possible. in models, with the controllable decay, when you set the decay to a very short value).

B.R.
Dominik

VG8 / VG88 / VG99 / WP20G / GP10 / SY1000 / GKP4 / US20 / Sustainiac / EBow

Rojoyinc

midi to guitar "on/off" toggle accessible via FC300 foot control... so we can switch between a midi tone (sax/strings etc.) and VG99 tones (guitar) with the tap of a foot switch.
Should be easy to add.

Ron, GR, MI
Strats (John Mayer & AmDlx Ash) Fretlight
Gibson LP cust
Tayor T5 Koa, Solidbody walnut custom
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth
Line6 UX8, Mesa LonestarSP, Fender Acoustasonic
MicroCube, Fender Champ 600, BR-600, DP-02CF PortaStudio
HarmonyMan, VocalistLive4, CuBase, SECURITY SYSTEM ;-)

DrJustice

Quote from:  DrJustice on November 07, 2008, 08:15:15 AM
- Add a simple metronome; great for practice!
Just adding that the V-Link button could be used to switch the metronome on/off. Add an option for that on the hypothetical metronome page. I reckon that button is wasted otherwise - never heard of anybody using V-Link...

DJ
--

BBach

Include a couple more control assignments for guitar to midi out and include aftertouch as an included parameter for those assignments.

Steve Mac

I don't know if a firmware revision can accomplish this, but it would be great if we could change the Category of the Factory patches.  I found that quite a few of the Categories selected are not what I would put (or, I created custom Categories such as 12-string, or Wah, or Nylon), and as I add more custom patches and have to rely on the Factory versions, I no longer can simply go to them via the Category selection.

I don't have a specific example of one that seems mis-characterized (I'm not in the studio), but I know they exist (at least, as I would categorize them  :)

Given the very nature of Patches 201-400, I would understand if it's impossible to make any changes.  But IF this one little change could be made, it would make my life much, much better!

Thanks for passing it along.

sixeight

There are a few items I would love to see in a future firmware update:
* Models of acoustic amps - Fender acoustasonic, SWR california, etc.
* The VB-99 features string modelling. It would be great if in the acoustic models you could simulate thicker strings and if you could add the ring that (phosphor-)bronze strings have.
* One of the triggers for the internal pedal should be the input pedal.
* Also the tempo of the wave pedal should have the bpm options. Then one can tap the tempo of the wave pedal.
* A multi-tap delay would be nice.
* The possibility to step a controller through a number of values. For instance, you could assign key to the Control One button and then step through C, F and G or even more values - This would be an extra option to the moment - latch setting of a control assignment.
* The abilty to assign the input pedal to a specific string.

telengard

My only request would be for more COSM guitar options and, not sure what to call it ?spill? (allow what was just played to sustain by using something similar to the hold note feature but allow me to play something new).
Bringing back the Gretsch COSM model would be excellent also!

Glad they are going to do an update.  I'm pretty happy with my unit, but this makes me even more happy.

~telengard
Still stuck in the 1980s.  My mame cabinet, mini home studio, and 8 bit game room:
www.briansturk.com

Paresh

I hope all this is in addition to our first list, which was pretty extensive as I recall. any ideas how long it will be before the update??

paresh

Meltdown

FC300 stompbox mode programming.
Retain Stereo signal throughout (stereo amps etc)
Visit my website!
http://www.tachyonmusic.com

musicman65

Bug Fix: Eliminate transmission of Control Change #7 with a value of 100 on VG-99 Patch Change when MIDI volume is
set to follow an FC-300 Expression pedal when in SYSEX mode. Send the ACTUAL value of FC-300 EXP Pedal instead.

The MIDI volume SHOULD follow the Expression pedal on patch change but instead reverts to 100 on a VG-99 Patch Change.
This can cause the MIDI volume to increase or decrease unexpectedly when switching patches that have Guitar-to-MIDI
enabled. If MIDI CC#7 is set to FC-300 EXP1 and the pedal is in the 0% position (vol off) and you change to another VG-99
patch that has Guitar-to-MIDI enabled, the volume of the MIDI will jump to 100 (range 0 to 127) and EXP1 will have to be
changed (rocked forward >0% then returned to 0%) to silence the MIDI. The same volume change occurs if you are at a MIDI
volume of 127 (100%) and change patches, the volume drops to 100 (which is 79% of max).

This is very frustrating and prevents the VG-99 from being effectively used for live Guitar-to-MIDI performance without adding
an external volume pedal directly to the MIDI sound module, bypassing the VG-99.

Bill in TN

Virtual Madness

1. Please let us have a Gretsch Guitar model (George Harrison's Country Gentleman or the Tennesseann?).

2. If possible, find a way to make round wound Electric Nickel strings sound like Acoustic Bronze strings, or even Thomastik-Infeld nickel Flatwound strings..and is there a way to make an unwound G string sound like a wound G string?.

3. More guitars. eg..Gibson Firebird, Gibson SG, Fender Jazzmaster, etc...

4. More Pickups..Mini Gibson Firebird Pickups, Les Paul Deluxe Mini Humbuckers, Fender Jazzmaster, Fender Jaguar, Gretsch Filtertrons..etc..

5. The ability to put any pickup models on any guitar models in any number or combination, in or out of phase.

6. The ability to change the ohms in the pickup models anywhere from vintage to hot (overwound) for instance, a Rickenbacker Pickup from the 60's would be in the 7.35 ohms area, where in the 80's that same identical looking pickup would be in the 12.35 ohms area and have a VERY different sound.

7. Let us have the ability to have more control over pickup switching..eg..a 3 pickup stratocaster at this time only has 5 positions, Bridge, Bridge & Middle, Middle, Middle & Neck, & Neck Alone..why can't we have the Bridge & Neck Pickups together, or even all three on at the same time, if we want to?.
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

vanceg

Quote from:  Paresh on November 10, 2008, 06:50:21 AM
I hope all this is in addition to our first list, which was pretty extensive as I recall. any ideas how long it will be before the update??

Well, actually this is a new list. Our old list dealt with issues which might require hardware updates as well. What we are looking for here are the top 10 feature updates/new features that can be accomplished with 'just' a firmware update.

No word directly from Roland on when and update would happen. But noting that they are requesting input now, I would GUESS (GUESS. This is a GUESS) sometime mid or late 2009. Perhaps summer NAMM 09. 

Vance

Paresh

Vance - I don't know what features would require hardware updates but I recall many "minor" feature improvements from the old list that seemed doable. Such as - I requested the category window remain open until I closed it down. Also the editor and librarian could sure use some improvements.
Maybe before the list is submitted someone could check the first list to see if there were any useful requests that are not on the 2nd list.?
paresh

guitarnstuff

Thanks in advance for getting this information to Roland!!!! I would like several things:
1) more guitar models like a Gretsch (hollow and solid bodies), Gibson Explorer, Firebird, Fender thinline (hollowbody tele) and of course a Carvin AE185 with Allen Holdsworth pickups (H22) as the front pickup is awesome but I am biased
2) P90, TV Jones and lipstick and tele pickup options in variax
3) Ability to hit a button on FC300 that would toggle back to previously selected patch....this would be really handy live
4) I would really, really like the same ease of programming the FC300 switches in pedal board mode as in sys exclusive mode! I seldom use the footswitches to change programs but I would like to use them for functions like the control 1 and control 2 switches. As it is now, it is a large board of under used switches for me.
5) I would like the screen for volume of the GK vs Mag pickups to be more easily accessible (maybe it is assignable but I haven't tried yet...better go try...)
6) More string and pad options and ability to control the string sensitivity for synths type models
7) Ability to easily copy all settings of Channel A or B from one patch into another
8) Ability to toggle midi converter on and off via footswitch or d-beam
9) a main screen view much like the Chain screen that cued up effects are shown and light up different on verses off
10) better mandolin and uke models
11) More hollowbody manipulation of variax as in a Gretsch like variation

guitarnstuff

Sorry, what I meant to say in #9 of my previous post is that the 3rd "play" screen where it shows the on-off status of effects would also show the guitar model and amp model in the patch. Right now it statically shows COSM GTR and NORM PU for the guitar (duh) and simply AMP for the AMP model. If this screen did this better (Showing the gtr model and amp model) I would likely use it almost exclusively. I think this could be done in the same amount of screen space.

germanicus

1. Improved Acoustic Guitar modeling. Current models are very 'rubbery' sounding when compared to the results accomplished by the Variax guitar lines.
2. The ability to turn off CC#7 value change messages when changing patches via an fc300. (dont send a volume reset message every time a patch is changed, or at the least, have the value correspond to the current midi volume value the assigned pedal is currently maintaining).
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

ganderpe

I'd like to have something like a "previous-patch" switch, to change between any 2 patches...
Fender Stratocaster Eric Johnson, GK-internal,  VG-99 fw1.04, FC-300

cy2989

I would like to have a preset comparison feature.  If I change an existing preset it would be very useful to be able to switch between the original settings and the new settings to compare them.  If the new settings are an improvement then I can save them.

I know you can do this by just saving the updated preset to a new location and then switch between locations but that seems cumbersome.
Chris

VG-99, GR-20, GI-20, US-20
custom Parker Fly w/GK-3, custom Silent Guitar w/Ghost

vanceg

You can currently control the DBean/Ribbon control section using a Footpedal by assigning a footpedal or MIDI CC to whatever control you wish.

Let me know in a different thread or a message if you need a little assistance with that.

Vance

Quote from:  dblacha on November 07, 2008, 02:54:31 PM
Thanks, sorry for a broken link (I should check the "Preview" option before I send).

I have one more add to our Wish List:
I found, that the filter in D BEAM / RIBBON section, is more useful and smoother then cutoff filters on synth models.
But it is an one issue: it is hard controllable by foot pedal (it is possible, but you must cover it / put something on it and then control it by exp. pedal as D BEAM/RIBBON: FILTER CONTROL).
Because, the expression pedal, has greater value for guitarists (we still have only two hands :)), I want to put an another entry on VG99v2 list:

- Add possibility to control a D BEAM/RIBBON filters / pitch shifters, by an expression pedal

B.R.
Dominik

guitarnstuff

I would like to see a small indicator or icon in the main (and other) play screens that shows the 'position' of the pickup switch.

Kostas Greece

I 've never used any of vg , but auto tune could be nice for me!
Fender American Lone Star Strat (HSS+floyd rose), Roland VG-99, FC-300, Roland GR-20

jvguitar

1. I'd like to have multiple "undos" in the software editor.

2. I think somebody mentioned that it is possible to assign tap tempo to S1, but I'd like to be able to tap tempo on the fly in the front panel without going through menues. Maybe a combination of buttons or so.

DrJustice

Quote from:  jvguitar on November 13, 2008, 10:31:24 AM
2. I think somebody mentioned that it is possible to assign tap tempo to S1, but I'd like to be able to tap tempo on the fly in the front panel without going through menues. Maybe a combination of buttons or so.

Just like me wanting a button to switch the wish-it-becomes-real metronome on and off. New functions could of course be made available as targets for the Control 1/2 and S 1/2 buttons. But what if Roland add a parameter somewhere in the System section to let us select a number of alternative functions for the V-Link button. Typically functions that you may want to have available regardless of the selected patch, like metronome on/off, tap-tempo, guitar-to-MIDI on/off etc..

DJ
--

Brent Flash

Quote from:  jvguitar on November 13, 2008, 10:31:24 AM
but I'd like to be able to tap tempo on the fly in the front panel without going through menues.
This can be done now. This patch has it set up on CONTROL 2 if you want to take a look at it. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,389.0.html

jvguitar

Quote from: Brent Flash on November 13, 2008, 11:21:36 AM
This can be done now. This patch has it set up on CONTROL 2 if you want to take a look at it. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,389.0.html

Thanks Brent. I'll take a look at the patch.