Roland GA-212 Stereo Amp

Started by BenT, March 22, 2012, 02:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Baatkarlo
Fantastic work on disassembling and documenting the Roland GA-112 internals!

THANK YOU!

baatkarlo

Elantric,

You guys put in such passionate posts in this forum I've learned from for the last few years,  I had to post the pix I took during the work without really having planned it all. I'm working on a new schematic with two GA-112's as a stereo pair for VG-99, GR-20, RC-50 and F-300, US-20 and the GA-112 Footswitch with an added drive pedal.

If you can test the USB port on the GA212 or GA-112 and let me know if its meant for recording or factory programming, I'd appreciate it as I don't know how to test it.

The sound using a stereo pair with VG-99 L/R into Main in L for each amp is so astounding. Especially when using chorus sweeping between the two gradually. It allows me to play the pair while two more guitarists can plug into each amp from the front and change settings as they wish too. Or I can plug my Carvin-SH575 mag pup into front of one, piezo pup into another while the MIDI goes into the Main in in the back for four distinct guitars while playing a single one!

Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

Elantric

I'll be able to use your pics as a reference for my GA-212 - which is still in same condition as purchased 

stevemp

I know this is an old thread but...

I traded for a GA-212 a while back.  The plan was to run my GX-700, GR-1 and VG-8 through a mixer and into the power amp inputs.  I have been unable to test that setup yet but I have run the GX-700 through it.  I run it through a BBE Sonic Maximizer before the amp.  To me the BBE makes the COSM amp/speaker sims usable.

I found that I had to turn up the high end to get enough through the amp.  I also noticed how much of a "beam" effect the amp has.  You really need to be directly in front to hear it properly.

I know there was talk of changing the speakers but has anyone tried or considered adding tweeters?  I know there's a mod for the Tech 21 Power Engine online where someone does that.  It seems like a good idea but I think you would have to include an L pad so you could adjust the tweeter level.  Thoughts?

What I also wanted to mention or ask about is whether anyone noticed that the GA-212 no longer shows as discontinued on the Roland site.  Are they bringing it back?

Elantric

My GA-212 sits in my project pile, same condition as I acquired a couple years ago with a damaged right speaker.

One thing is sure, i'm glad I did not pay a lot of $$ , Ive heard far better amps, and not sure the GA-212 is worth putting money in upgrading with HF Horns, Crossovers, etc. The wood cabinet on the GA-212 is rather fragile MDF wood, depressing for an Amp that had a MSRP of $1200

Ive since acquired a Firehawk 1500 to serve the role as all in one stereo FRFR guitar amp, and it sounds a lot better in that role to amplify Kemper, GR-55, VG-99, GP-10   

baatkarlo

Has anyone tried 5CM (similar to 4CM using GT-100 seen at ) using VG-99 and GA-212 or two GA-112's as stereo pair?

I want to use the two FX chains in the VG-99 by splitting out the Main and Sub outputs as well as the Guitar In and Out ports from the VG-99 as follows:

Set VG-99 internal Main and Sub Out as MIXER
Use patches that have COSM AMP turned off on both V-Guitars but have FX Chains that have Compressor, Wah, Overdrive before Main and Sub OUT and all other effects after so that GA-112 preamp is used instead. 

Cable 1: 13-pin MIDI cable
Midi guitar 13-pin Out to VG-99 Midi 13-pin In

Cable 2: 1/4" Unbalanced
VG-99 Main L to GA-112 (Left amp) Main In A
VG-99 Main R to GA-112 (Right amp) Main in A

Cable 3: XLR Female to 1/4" unbalanced Male
VG-99 Sub out L to GA-112 (Left amp) EFX Loop A Return
VG-99 Sub out R to GA-112 (Right amp) EFX Loop A Return

Cable 4: Stereo to mono Y-Cable: 1/4" Balanced (Stereo) to two 1/4" Unbalanced (L/R)
1/4" Balanced into VG-99 Guitar IN
1/4" Unbalanced L into GA-112 (Left amp) EFX Loop A Send
1/4" Unbalanced R into GA-112 (Right amp) EFX Loop A Send

Cable 5: Stereo to mono Y-cable: 1/4" Balanced (Stereo) to two 1/4" Unbalanced (L/R)
1/4" Balanced into VG-99 Guitar OUT
1/4" Unbalanced into GA-112 (Left amp) Guitar IN (Low)
1/4" Unbalanced into GA-112 (Right amp) Guitar IN (Low)

I'm also thinking of using the GA-112 EFX Loop B Send/Return into a GR-20 that receives 13-pin MIDI input via a US-20 13-pin MIDI switch. Don't know how this might turn out so am seeking advice.

Would this work?
Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

47Flyer

I don't have a VG-99 or GT-100.  I did try something new this weekend.  My tube amp has been having some issues so I decided to use my GA-212.  On Friday I ran my GP-10 to the guitar input on the face of the amp.  I sounded OK but nothing to write home about.  Saturday night I used the GP-10 and GA-212 in a different configuration.  13 pin from guitar to GP-10, L+R out from GP-10 to A + B main inputs on the back panel of the GA-212,  Guitar out from GP-10 to guitar input on front panel of GA-212.  This allowed me to get two completely different setups out of the amp.  Volume pedal attached to GA-212 footswitch controlled only the preamp on the GA-212. So I could blend the sounds or select one or the other.  Next I might add my Zoom CDR-70 to the effects loop.

admin

QuoteSaturday night I used the GP-10 and GA-212 in a different configuration.  13 pin from guitar to GP-10, L+R out from GP-10 to A + B main inputs on the back panel of the GA-212,  Guitar out from GP-10 to guitar input on front panel of GA-212.

Folks are using FireHawk 1500 in similar fashion

JayFreddy

Recently acquired one of these in mint condition.  I was looking for online resources, and the best info I could find was an older thread HERE on this forum.

I'm a long time fan of Roland/Boss guitar toys, but I'm having a hard time getting a warm sound out of the GA-212 as a standalone guitar amp. The majority of Youtube demos seem to bear this out as well. 

However, the GA-212 seems too hold a lot of promise as a stereo power amp for multiFX like the ME-80 and GT-10.  It's not as warm sounding as my Cube 60 or Cube 80, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Other than the paid endorsers when it first came out, has anyone managed to make this amp work for them in the long run?  Any tips or tricks to warming up the sound would be greatly appreciated!

Elantric

JayFreddy

Thanks for the reply.   

I tried to reply to this thread, but the forum software suggested that I start a new thread due to the age of the last reply.  So thanks for merging them together. 

Despite 4 pages of discussion, no one has addressed the sterile tone of these things at reasonable volume levels.

It looks like I'm the 3rd owner of this particular GA-212, but I don't think the previous two owners put much time into it.  In fact, the lack of "sag" and warmth could be because the speakers aren't broken in yet.

The vast majority of the video demos I found on Youtube and in this thread also seem to reflect what I consider the cold, somewhat sterile nature of this amp's tone.

The demos that sounded best to my ears were those by Roland/Boss demo-Meister Rob Marcello, specifically the ones where he has the Master Volume knob pointing straight up at 12 noon.  With the gain and level settings also around 12 noon, it must have been deafening while they were recording it.

It could very well be that is just how this amp was intended to be used...

Still, with all the fanfare and celebrity chatter surrounding these when they were released, I'm surprised there isn't at least SOMEONE still using these somewhere.   

For example, the mighty Alan Holdsworth (RIP) was still using Yamaha's DG series amplifiers long after they were discontinued by Yamaha.  Yamaha's DG amps might not have the bit rate of newer digital guitar amps, but they could deliver a variety of good, warm, musically useful tones.

Is there anyone here still using their GA-112 or 212s? 

I also have a GT-10 and an ME-80, and although I haven't tried them with the GA-212 yet, it seems like the stereo effects loop of the 212 would be a good fit for the stereo capabilities of either of those multi-FX.

If6was9

I purchased my GA 212 at reasonable price two years ago, I paid 400 euros with free shipping (bear in mind that when Roland released the amp, the price was 1.300 euros... :o). After two years of regular use, here are my opinions on the amp:

good clean sound but awful crunch and distortion tones, very harsh; I was very disappointed and I wondered how could Roland sell this product at such a huge price. Anyway, I couldn't care less of the modeling sound of the amp, since what attracted me was the stereo main input on the rear panel - and here's where the amp shines, IMHO. I think that the GA 212 is absolutely the best amplifier to use in combination with my GT 100, finally I got wonderful clean and distorted sounds out of the box, in full stereo. Really, I think that some GT 100 patches sound spectacular, but everyone has his own ears, of course. Obviously I set the GT 100 output select to "combo return", so that the speaker emulation is disabled.
As regard the use of the GA 212 with the GR 55, GP 10 or SY 300, I think the amp is inappropriate and I'd recommend a Cube Street EX.