Roland CUBE-80XL

Started by mikelara, December 31, 2011, 08:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Werkshop

Quote from:  Elantric on July 08, 2012, 10:47:12 AM
...the volume of your Drummer will determine what type  / size amp you need 

TRUE THAT!

But couldn't I fix the ground loop problem with this?

...Or would that be too easy?

I know my rig is complicated, but I've seen MUCH worse! :P

There's gotta be a simple way to make it work the right way, isn't there?

Oh, and I do plan on experimenting with each device separately before I try any crazy sh*t.  ;)

Elantric

YEs - you may need one or two  or three of those Hum-X devices to prevent ground loops.

Every rig is unique

Elantric

Quoteor a roland Cube 60..
Skip the Cube 60, as this does not have the external Aux Input

and go for the Cube 80X or Cube 80XL as these do have the 3.5mm Aux Input on the rear and sound very good, far more high frequency response than any Tech21 product, and get loud enough for most situations.

But best concise info on best amplifications systems for the gear we talk about is here:

Amplification recommendations for DSP Modeling systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9484.0

myksara

Thanks Elantric!..Actually I was almost sold out on the Roland Cube 80XL but then went for the tech 21 with the hype..
Now this brand new is up for sale and I can afford a Roland cube 40XL immediately..will that be a good choice? I don't need the amp to be very loud, I want the tone through the aux input..the 40XL has a 10" as opposed to the 12" on the 80XL.

Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

I would not waste my $$ or time with a Cube 40XL - it does not have adequate clean headroom for synth tones when used in a typical band environment.

If you need to go cheap - find a close out  / used Cube 80X  - this was the short lived predecessor to the Cube80XL , and I have seen those for $200 

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ROLAND-CUBE-80X-COMBO-AMP-7-5-050612-623-107713950-i2505895.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1352337644

Bill Ruppert

Why would you want a Roland cube which only has a 12 inch speaker?
It will sound just like the Tech 21.
You are playing into a guitar amp with the speaker simulation on.
IT WILL BE DARK and lifeless.
If you want it on you need to buy something with tweeters in it to reproduce the high end!
OR turn off your speaker sims.
( or put tweeters in the power engine ...$50.00)

You are bad rapping the power engines while you are using them wrong.

Quote from:  myksara on August 13, 2012, 11:14:55 AM
Thanks Elantric!..Actually I was almost sold out on the Roland Cube 80XL but then went for the tech 21 with the hype..
Now this brand new is up for sale and I can afford a Roland cube 40XL immediately..will that be a good choice? I don't need the amp to be very loud, I want the tone through the aux input..the 40XL has a 10" as opposed to the 12" on the 80XL.

Elantric

QuoteWhy would you want a Roland cube which only has a 12 inch speaker? IT WILL BE DARK and lifeless.

Thats very true for the latest CUBE 80GX, which uses a 12" Guitar Amp type speaker that does not go above 6.5kHz

However, both Cube 80X and Cube 80XL have a special designed  12" speaker with a relatively Flat Frequency Response of 75 to 9kHz, and 80 clean watts RMS. ( I know as I own one of each)

The guitar speaker in the Tech 21 PE60 Power Engine is only good for 40 to 3.5kHz, and Bill's PE60 tweeter mod " is mandatory for Synth guitar users:

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6748.msg46671#msg46671

Bill Ruppert

Interesting.
It must be a whizzer speaker???

The tweeter mod I did in the power engine takes you up to 20K.

I do love my little Roland Mobile cube....
That thing sound amazing.

myksara

Thanks Elantric!..I have ordered a Roland Cube 80XL today and will post my experience soon..love this forum :)
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

Elantric

QuoteI do love my little Roland Mobile cube....
That thing sound amazing.

Agreed. I have played a lot of busking gigs with the Mobile Cube until the left speaker blew out.
Need to get some replacement speakers for it now.

myksara

I have got my Roland Cube 80XL and I am quite pleased with the purchase (thanks Elantric!)
I have not even scratched the surface, but here's my comments based on my 1 hour of fiddling with it (at bedroom levels).
1) Pretty intuitive amp and tight low end!
2) Nicely written user manual gives you everything you need to know about the amp- crisp and clear
3) Pretty compact for 80W size and looks sturdy with corners protected and a metal cover in the front.
4) I tried the aux in input with my Godin LGXT and GR55. Sounds very nice- much better than my Tech 21 PE60. The disadvantage of running your GR55 in this way is that you don't get to control your amp at all. Volume or EQ controlling is not possible on the amp.
5) I experimented a little bit and connected the GR55 to the input channel of the amp too. With this you get to control the EQ and volume using the onboard knobs on your amp. I got a sweet acoustic sound with my acoustic patch on GR55 + the acoustic sim model selected on the cube 80XL, just with a little bit of EQ tweaks. I kept the gain knob on the amp low and raised the volume.
6) For the electric sounds from my GR55 (cleans as well as dirty), I switched to the JC clean amp setting on the Roland cube 80XL (this is quick with the press of a button). Presence on 0 and EQuing helped me get my tones sounding real nice!

Mind you, this test is just at bedroom levels, I can't wait to go high on the volume and test everything again.

So far, excellent and a versatile amp..worth every penny and I don't think I would need any amp for my GR55 soon!!... :) :)

Elantric

Thanks for the independent Cube 80 XL review.

At NAMM Shows, Roland must have had dozens of these same amps at each product demo stage for all their Guitar / Synth Gear.

I love mine

I use this special  Cube 80XL foot switch (ebay)with it

bbob

Quote from:  Elantric on August 13, 2012, 03:47:26 PM
Because the new Cube 80X and Cube 80XL are modeling amps that have a special designed  12" "near full range" speaker with a relatively Flat Frequency Response of 30 to 9kHz, and 80 clean watts RMS. ( I know as I own one of each)

So the Cube 80XL can be classified as a FRFR amp and be fine for keyboards and acoustic guitars?

Thanks.

Bob

Elantric

As I stated above the Cube 80 XL - is "Near" Full Range" - with a top end that is relatively flat up to around 9khz. (compare that to a Tech 21 Power Engine that tops out at 3.5kHz)

It works for my needs, since I cant hear much above 12 kHz at my age.

myksara

Wow! the audio spectrum with respect to all instruments pretty much sums up everything...
Elantric: Do you know of any website that has some patch suggestions for the cube80XL...There are a few at the end of the user manual..
Although I intend to use this with my GR55 all the time, it would still be good to have some nice preset diagrams printed on a sheet for the amp to be used with the guitar all by itself.

Elantric

gandolf

Quote from:  gumtown on January 03, 2012, 04:59:34 PM
I use a Marshall MB450 Bass head with a 4x10 and 1x15 both with the tweeters enabled, the GR-55 output plugs into the Amp's FX Return.

My GR-55 is also modified with two extra jack sockets (waranty now invalid) inline with the Normal PU wiring, so i can use my rig in 4CM (four cable method), which allows the amp's external preamp to be used just before the Normal PU input of the GR-55, and not have the GR-55 synth tones colored by the external preamp.
A nice flat response for the internal PCM synths and Modeled tones, and a scooped preamp tone applied to the normal pickup tone which can be adjusted on the fly.

Hi Gumtown, i still haven;t really figured out my amp set-up for my new toy....Just trying to understand what you are doing.....so if you didn't modify your GR55, would your setup be similar to plugging your guitar into your amp the old fashioned way, and then taking the loop out from the amp and going into the GK3B controller "Guitar PU" input?
i guess you can't programme the "guitar out" on the GR55 to direct-out the the Guitar PU, and by-pass any  cab modelling being applied to COSM sound?
i had assumed "guitar out" meant "guitar out"...but i'm guessing i have another lesson to learn on assuming things..... 
or is there another reason why you are doing this?

whippinpost91850

I think I've decided on Jbl Prx612Ms for My Kemper and Gr55. I know a few months back some one had listes a good place to purchase gear with a 10% first time buyers discount, but can't remember or find the name anywhere.
Would appreciate anybody's help on this. I'm in Michigan.
Had first live gig using both. It went great, but can't take hauling a seperate poweramp and cabinet to monitor everything :'(. Thanks Paul

Elantric

ProAudio Star

But i suggest get a quote here first.

www.altomusic.com

whippinpost91850

Thanks I'll check it out.

jim ford

Let's see what people come up with?

camchada

Just bought 80xl.  Could you please give me some tips on connecting th 80xl and gr55? Am a newbie here, and still learning.  would apprciae any tips on 80xl settings and which "outs" to usr on gr 55 for max results.

Thanks ,
camchda

jim ford

I just use 1/4 guitar cord and min plug and go from left mono of the gr 55 to the aux in on the back of 80xl. Hope that helps?

KezzTCP

I also use a GR55 with a Cube 80XL.  We recently played our first festival - my little amp mic'd up into an amazing PA.  I set the amp up neutrally, connecting from my GR55 mono out to the front amp in and using only the clean channel, turned up to just over a quarter to - which cuts through nicely on stage.  All emulations & effects were programmed into my GR55 patches - of which I use about 20 during a set.  After a very successful set, a couple of seasoned pros told me how amazed they were by the sound I could get from that little amp!  Quick and easy to set up, excellent reproduction of the GR55 sounds and praise to boot!  The next challenge is to move to onstage, mic'd up stereo to really get the best out of then GR55 - as I use a lot of panned delays when recording and want that effect in the live mix.  Best of luck camchada with your gigging!

K
Godin LGXT with Roland Gr-55
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
Tanglewood Earth 2000 Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74
Gibson Les Paul Special (hah!)

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

piriolirio

KezzTCP, do you mean TWO Cube 80XL miked amps on stage?