Katana AIR - Stereo, Battery powered, Wireless Instrument connection

Started by gumtown, January 08, 2018, 01:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

https://www.boss.info/au/products/katana-air/?lang=en-AU

Premium Tone, Wireless Freedom

Meet the Katana-Air, the world's first totally wireless guitar amplifier. Featuring new cutting-edge wireless guitar technology developed by BOSS, the Katana-Air gives you the freedom to jam and practice without hassling with guitar cables. And with support for battery operation, there's no need to plug into AC either, so you can literally play anywhere!

Though compact in size, the Katana-Air is serious about sound quality. Equipped with pro amp tones and effects from the performance-class Katana amplifiers, this wireless wonder delivers premium guitar sounds for any style of music. To further extend the cable-free experience, you can wirelessly edit and organize sounds with a dedicated app and jam with songs streamed from your smartphone. With the innovative Katana-Air and your favorite axe, casual playing has never been more convenient and inspiring.

•Totally wireless guitar amplifier with newly developed BOSS technology delivers rock-solid sound with ultra-low latency
•Custom wireless transmitter plugs into any electric guitar and charges while docked in the amp
•Transmitter provides 12 hours of playing time on a single charge, and automatically enters standby mode to conserve the charge when no activity is detected
•Always ready to play, with motion sensing technology in the transmitter that instantly wakes the amp from power-saving standby mode
•Premium tones derived from the Katana stage amplifier series, with five unique amp characters and access to over 50 world-class BOSS effects
•Six onboard memories for storing favorite amp and effects setups
•Powerful stereo speaker system with full-range sound and up to 30 watts of power*
•Edit and organize tones wirelessly with the BOSS Tone Studio app for iOS and Android mobile devices
•Play along with music streamed wirelessly from a mobile device via Bluetooth®
•Amplifier powered by eight AA-size batteries or included AC adapter
•Aux in for connecting wired devices, plus headphones/recording out for silent practice and music production

*The Katana-Air produces 30 watts of power when connected to AC, and 20 watts of power when running on batteries.

The World's First Fully Wireless Guitar Amplifier
First things first: the BOSS Katana-Air wireless guitar amplifier delivers primal tones from the Katana amplifier series, with five distinct amplifier characters and over 50 BOSS effects. What makes the Katana-Air perfect for any guitarist's home is its complete wireless versatility. It comes with a wireless transmitter for use with any guitar, and the transmitter recharges when you dock it into the Katana-Air. You can stream music to its powerful stereo speaker system wirelessly via Bluetooth, and even power it with eight AA batteries so you're not tethered to wall power. Combining wireless ease of use with excellent BOSS guitar tones, the BOSS Katana-Air is the perfect practice partner.

NOW PLAYING:
BOSS KATANA-AIR Totally Wireless Guitar Amp System

BOSS KATANA-AIR Totally Wireless Guitar Amp System Introduction
The world's first fully wireless guitar amplifier
Some guitarists assume wireless technology is really only for the stage, but many guitarists at Sweetwater find it's even more convenient at home — it's simply more enjoyable and comfortable to practice without being tethered. The BOSS Katana-Air features a wireless transmitter you can use with any electric guitar, providing up to 12 hours on a single charge. It even features motion-activated operation, which means it will automatically turn on when you lift your guitar off its stand. To recharge, simply dock the transmitter on the Katana-Air. And while the Katana-Air can be powered via a power adapter, you can also use eight AA batteries for a fully wireless guitar amp solution.

Custom-tuned stereo speaker system
A stereo speaker system allows the Katana-Air to deliver impressive guitar tones despite its small size. Running on battery power, the speakers are driven with 20 watts of power — using a power adapter for wall power increases it to 30 watts. Either is plenty to fill your room with sound, whether you're playing guitar or simply using Katana-Air as a home playback system.

Create custom effects with BOSS Tone Studio editor software
The Katana-Air's Booster/Mod, Delay/FX, and Reverb controls give you easy 1-knob access to each effects type, with a color-coded button to switch between preset effects. To completely customize your effects and amp settings, connect your phone or tablet to the Katana-Air wirelessly and load up the Tone Studio app. Create your own setup, or download setups created by pro guitarists at the BOSS Tone Central website. You can also stream music from your music library directly to the Katana-Air.

BOSS Katana-Air Wireless Guitar Amplifier Features:
Fully wireless electric guitar amplifier with 20W/30W stereo speaker system
Versatile amp with 5 amp voicings, customizable effects, and editor software
Wireless transmitter offers up to 12 hours of operation, recharges by docking onto the amplifier
Motion-activated transmitter automatically turns on when you pick your guitar up
Wirelessly edit and organize tones via app on your phone or tablet (iOS/Android)
Serves double duty as a premium Bluetooth music player
Stereo headphone out/recording out with speaker cabinet emulation
Powered via 8 AA batteries (20 watts) or power adapter (30 watts)
Additional Media
Guitar Amp Buying Guide
Tech Specs
Type:   Digital Wireless Guitar Amp
Number of Channels:   2-channel
Total Power:   30W (adapter), 20W (battery)
Speaker Size:   2 x 3" woofer
Reverb:   Yes
Effects:   Delay, Modulation, Boost, FX (access additional)
EQ:   3-band EQ
Amp Modeling:   Brown, Lead, Crunch, Clean, Acoustic
Inputs:   1 x 1/4" (instrument), 1 x 1/8" (aux in)
Outputs:   1 x 1/8" (headphones/record out)
USB:   1 x Type B
Bluetooth:   Yes (streaming, remote features)
Features:   Wireless Transmitter Plug (12 hour play time), 1/4" Charger Port
Computer Connectivity:   Bluetooth
Software:   Tone Studio Remote App (iOS/Android)
Power Source:   13V DC adapter (included) / 8 x AA batteries (7-10 hour play time)
Height:   7.12"
Width:   13.81"
Depth:   5.68"
Weight:   4 lbs. 14 oz.
Manufacturer Part Number:   Katana Air

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KataAir
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vitalitask

Matteo Barducci

--

---> Matteo Barducci

admin

It's a shame there's no pic of the rear panel ( or Owners Manual )

I wonder if there is a GAFC connector for the footswitch?
I'm thinking perhaps they missed that on this product

jm345

Some pics and more info at the link. From the specs:

Input jack: 1/4-inch phone type
AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type
PHONES/REC OUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
TRANSMITTER IN jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
USB port: USB B type
DC IN jack

https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-air/

sixeight

Very interesting product. I like the fact that it is stereo and quite small. It looks like it has the same controls as a regular Katana, so hopefully all the sneaky stuff is in there as well.

As the Katana is on my list of devices to control with the VController, the USB port on the back may be the place where I  can connect it. I wonder if the firmware is compatible with the larger Katana's.

But the price is quite high in comparison. €450. Hopefully that will come down.

https://www.bax-shop.nl/gitaarversterker-combo/boss-katana-air-draadloze-gitaarversterker-combo

Smash

admin

Quote from: jm345 on January 08, 2018, 07:47:21 AM
Some pics and more info at the link. From the specs:

Input jack: 1/4-inch phone type
AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type
PHONES/REC OUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
TRANSMITTER IN jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
USB port: USB B type
DC IN jack

https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-air/

So even worse than a Katana 50
No footswich jack at all (fail)

sixeight

The price is very high though. €449. I can buy two Katana 50's for that price and still have money spare...

Smash

Second video states the FX are "meticulously recreated in stereo" so answered my own question.

I wonder if there's a stereo full size Katana on back burner...

I guess if it had had full GAFC switching there's a possibility it could be been chosen over the katana head due to being stereo.

I wonder if we'll see stereo Katana power amps with all that dynamics special sauce also down the line

sixeight

New video does suggest it is the same as a regular Katana. Maybe the wireless editors can be used for the regular Katana's as well. Must be my diy mindset speaking out again...

admin

If I need bluetooth audio backing tracks I just connect one of these to the Aux Input on my GT-1 or Katana 100-112 combo
$17

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0728GP9XH/ref=mp_s_a_1_15

CodeSmart

What I would like to get from Boss is a small external Katana Bluetooth - USB dongle I plug into my Katana Head and then I'm able to control it using the BTS for iOS in my phone.

(I.e. rip out the Katana-Air Bluetooth device and repack it in a small external unit for all old Katanas)

Do it and take my money!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

sixeight

Quote from: CodeSmart on January 08, 2018, 09:02:58 AM
What I would like to get from Boss is a small external Katana Bluetooth - USB dongle I plug into my Katana Head and then I'm able to control it using the BTS for iOS in my phone.

(I.e. rip out the Katana-Air Bluetooth device and repack it in a small external unit for all old Katanas)

Time to develop a MIDX-BT, Robert. You know there is no escape... ;D

pasha811

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-air/

Where the music is going? It's going wireless!

Interesting how Roland seeks for young tech savvy approval. Generation Z and Millenials are the new customers. Company still run as it was have some hard time to understand the new market. At least Roland is trying..
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

admin

https://www.adorama.com/bsktnair.html

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-boss-launches-the-worlds-first-fully-wireless-guitar-amp-system-the-katana-air

NAMM 2018: Boss launches the world's first fully wireless guitar amp system, the Katana-Air
By Michael Astley-Brown (Total Guitar, Guitarist) a day agoGuitars

Desktop combo includes wireless guitar transmitter and receiver, and can run on batteries

NAMM 2018: Boss is promising to "change how, when and where you play guitar" with the launch of the Katana-Air, the world's first fully wireless guitar amp system - that means no cables between the guitar and amp, and, using batteries, no power cable, either.

The 30W amp's key selling point is its "cutting-edge" wireless technology: it comes with a receiver that plugs into any electric guitar and charges while docked in the amp.

It provides 12 hours of playing time on a single charge, while a motion sensor switches it on and off depending on whether the guitar is being played - clever stuff.

Like other Katana amps, five amp characters are onboard – Brown, Lead, Crunch, Clean and Acoustic – as well as access to over 50 Boss effects, which can be stored in six onboard memories and organised via Boss's Tone Studio app for iOS and Android.

Music can also be streamed to the device via Bluetooth for playback via the system's stereo speakers, while an aux in and headphones/recording out are also onboard.

The only slight fly in the Katana-Air's wireless ointment is it requires eight (!) AA batteries to be truly cable-free, providing 20W of output for seven hours with alkalines. Using a power supply yields the full 30W, but you'll have to be tethered to the wall, natch.

Provided the wireless tech is up to snuff, Boss looks to be on to a winner with this, combining the Katana's impressive array of tones with a similar wireless package to Line 6's recent Spider V series.

The price could prove a sticking point, however, at £429 - a good £200 or so more than many of its well-equipped desktop rivals.

Nonetheless, we're looking forward to getting to grips with this one at NAMM. Until then, head over to Boss for more info.

gumtown

Still uses AA batteries, I hope you can recharge NiMH in the amp without the need to use an external AA battery charger.

Would have been better to use a LiPO battery pack, more A/H for the same size.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vtgearhead

Elantric

fificap

The price is high ! But if it include a wireless footswitch and a looper why not !

admin

Quote from: fificap on January 14, 2018, 09:20:04 AM
The price is high ! But if it include a wireless footswitch and a looper why not !

Looper?

1st I heard of that

more folks annoyed no tuner

admin

https://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000150646

The world's first complete wireless guitar amp "KATANA-AIR" appears from BOSS, shield unnecessary & battery driven

2018.1.9 11: 33

The world's first fully wirelessly designed guitar amp "KATANA-AIR" which supports wireless connection of a guitar, wireless connection of a guitar playing also with a wireless connection at the same time, also corresponded to a battery drive, is required from the BOSS brand of Roland Appearance. It will be on sale from April.

In order to enjoy guitar playing according to your favorite songs, you need to connect the guitar and the amp with a cable, but also to the audio equipment. Obviously it is necessary to secure the power supply and it takes a lot of trouble. An epoch-making guitar amplifier that eliminates such trouble is "KATANA-AIR".

▲ Guitar transmitter (left) and attached image (right).

If you install a wireless transmitter (transmitter) designed exclusively for guitar on the guitar, you can play immediately with wireless connection without cable. Also, you can connect to a smartphone or tablet (iOS / Android compatible) with Bluetooth, play audio and enjoy music according to your favorite songs. When not playing the guitar it also works as a high-quality Bluetooth speaker. In addition to the included AC adapter, it also supports battery driving (8 AA batteries), you can play anywhere without a power cord connection. If you use a special application you can also adjust the tone from the smartphone / tablet wirelessly connected.

▲ Charging by inserting the transmitter in the main dock.

The wireless connection between the guitar and the amplifier adopts a wireless system that has developed "proprietary delay" in signal transmission and reception, independently developed by BOSS's know-how unique to the guitar effector for many years. The transmitter is equipped with an "auto · wireless connection" function that automatically completes the wireless connection simply by inserting it in the dock of the amplifier main body. You do not need trouble such as channel setting. The transmitter starts charging just by inserting it in the dock of the main body, and wireless connection of baking time with one charge is possible.

There is no doubt about the sound side. The size is compact, but equipped with the sound of "KATANA amp" that gains full-fledged timbre and playing comfort as the large amp for the stage. From delicate and clean tone to intense rock sound you can express as you want. Six different timbres are preset in the main unit, and can be adjusted by the knob operation, and it is also possible to create timbre finely with a dedicated application from a smartphone / tablet connected with Bluetooth.

The speaker to be installed is a stereo specification, custom design of sound quality which is optimum for both guitar and audio. It is a full-fledged guitar amp capable of playing immediately anywhere, including living room and bedroom, with output of up to 30 W (maximum 20 W at battery driving) output.

▲ A control panel (top) that can make full-scale sounds is mounted on the top of the main unit. If you use the free download smartphone application (bottom right), you can create more versatile sounds by using more than 50 built-in effects. You can store up to 6 kinds of sounds created in the amplifier main body and call it immediately.

Elantric

Mrchevy

Steve, did you get a chance to check this out at NAMM? If so, what were your thoughts vs the THR yamahas or even the newer Vox? Not a lot out there yet but what is, it kinda sounds a little nasally.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

admin

Boss booth was too busy at NAMM  - never got a chance to play Katana AIR amp yet

I still love my Vox ADIO GT

Review
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21540.msg164104#msg164104