SYNTH•LINX 13-PIN LOCKING JACK LAUNCH!

Started by gumbo, June 23, 2013, 06:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Hi All,

GOOD NEWS!  Synth•Linx 13-pin Jack Kits are now available to Forum Members!
My sincere thanks to everyone who has waited so patiently over the past two years of intensive R & D.

Synth•Linx 13-pin Jack Kits are specifically designed to be surface-mounted on a musical instrument, project box or chassis panel without the need for direct mounting to a PCB. All you will need is a 5/8" (15.6mm) hole to accommodate the body of the Jack plus two small holes for the included mounting screws or bolts.

Synth•Linx Jack Kits offer the convenience of a smaller 'footprint' for shoe-horning a 13-pin synth connection into cramped spaces. They are ideal for custom designs and connections for anyone with the drive and skill to re-engineer their precious guitar or ancillary equipment.

Synth•Linx Jack Kits include the facility to accept and retain the DIN-standard 13-pin (male) locking jackplugs normally found on proprietary 13-pin guitar-to-synth connection cables. Maximum cable security is built in to avoid accidental disconnection.

You have 4 choices of Synth•Linx Jack Kits:

• the Standard Synth•Linx Jack Kit has connection terminals that you solder to your own cabling.
• the Extended Synth•Linx Jack Kit has a 12-inch length of pre-attached 13-core-plus-screen cable that you can cut to length and then solder to whatever components or equipment that your installation requires.
• both these Synth•Linx Jack Kits are also available with captive threaded inserts for the fixing bolts in the mounting flanges for rear-mount installations where access to the back of the Jack may be limited.

Check out the attached Intro PDF for details of the contents and other features of the 4 Synth•Linx Jack Kit versions.

Worldwide pricing (except Australia) is in US dollars:

• Standard Synth•Linx Jack Kits (SL13JS & SL13JNS) — $20 US each
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK (1–3 units) — $5 US
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK  (4–10 units) — $8 US

• Extended Synth•Linx Jack Kits (SL13JE & SL13JNE) — $35 US each
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK  (1 unit) — $5 US
   Plus Shipping & Packaging to USA, Canada & UK  (2-6 units) — $8 US

• Other countries, shipping costs on application. (No shipping to Italy).

• For unit prices and postage within Australia—please email me—info@synth-linx.com.

Where possible, all supporting documentation is provided electronically to reduce postage costs. The mounting templates included in the Installation Instructions PDF are always also provided in hardcopy with the Jack Kits to avoid any scaling issues with your printer.

PAYMENT IS VIA PAYPAL ONLY
TRADING TERMS are set out on PAGE 4 of the Intro PDF.

Interested? Need more information before buying? Ready to place an order?

For further details about the ways Synth•Linx Jack Kits can work in with your ideas and projects, email me at info@synth-linx.com. I can send you an electronic copy of the comprehensive Installation Instructions PDF (3.8 MB).
NOTE: If this file size is too big for your inbox, email your postal address to me, and I'll send you a hard copy.

I'm happy to answer any questions before you place an order through info@synth-linx.com

Kind regards to all, along with my sincere appreciation to those Forum Members who have supported and encouraged this venture (you know who you are)! I look forward to helping you with your guitar/synth adventures...

Peter Harris (aka 'gumbo' on this Forum)
Adelaide, South Australia
https://www.google.com/search?q=Synth-Linx+Jack+13+pin&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CQetaiY7PghSIjiRlHLU_1a7xT0qTeGedY6RmTsaT1VdBPc7mE4HmQaj8TJV0YUZDaaS9QrJsUkZFfzFqp8FZtD-M3ioSCZGUctT9rvFPEQ-N1KSzK8ZwKhIJSpN4Z51jpGYR4JiVBMTG0H0qEglOxpPVV0E9zhEL_1T75HZ1gnioSCeYTgeZBqPxMEZgW1hrLaInjKhIJlXRhRkNppL0R3LWQnl5dvcEqEglCsmxSRkV_1MREsCjE0AgDmKyoSCWqnwVm0P4zeEQdccmhhZf0C&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinzOKa68_XAhVKrFQKHZqlApUQ9C8IHw&biw=1187&bih=727&dpr=1.25
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Zummooz

Congrats Peter  AAAAA+++++   ;D

Finally   ;) 

Hope she all goes well for you.
Talk soon buddy ....

Zum
The  Fact  Is......"We  are  all  tactile  creatures  &  physical  interaction  has  always  been  a  big  part  of  making  music"

whippinpost91850

Congratulations Peter. I'm looking forward to placing order 8) Paul

Virtual Madness

Congratulations Peter!

I've been looking forward to this day ever since you sent me that pre-release PDF back in October of last year!

Royce
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

neophytte

Onya Peter!

I used two of his prototype connectors, one in a Septar kit and one in a GK-only guitar:

http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2012-07-02-Septar_Kit_Build/

Cheers

Richard

neophytte

Crickey, almost a year later and I'm still going on this ...

Public facebook photo album

Cheers

Richard

gumbo

Well at least you seem to have got the screws in the jackplate ok...   ;D

All the best Richard..look forward to seeing more..
Catch up soon...
Peter

neophytte

Quote from: gumbo on November 15, 2013, 04:42:21 AM
Well at least you seem to have got the screws in the jackplate ok...   ;D

Yep, the 'hard' work is done, just got to set up the neck, the saddles, intonation, etc, then make sure it all works!!! :)

More photos are in the facebook photo album ...

Cheers

Richard

acousticartist

That is an awesome connector! Which one would be appropriate to replace the stock factory GR-55 connector?
Thanks, Don
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

gumbo

Quote from: acousticartist on December 01, 2013, 01:40:29 PM
That is an awesome connector! Which one would be appropriate to replace the stock factory GR-55 connector?
Thanks, Don

Hi Don, and Thank You!

In any installation (yes, any) where it was proposed to 'replace' an original 13-pin jack that was previously directly mounted to a circuit board, it would be easier to order the 'Extended' unit with pre-attached 13-core cable...that way the other end of this cable could be soldered to the existing connection points on the circuit board.

Likewise, if the original jack was attached to a circuit board via a multi-pin connector socket, the other end of that cable could be fitted with a replacement 'plug' to suit that socket...    ..in fact a version of the extended jack is currently under production with the other end of the cable having pre-attached 7 & 8-pin 'plugs' to suit the circuit board sockets of the Roland GK Internal Kit.. 

...if you're a dab hand with a soldering iron, of course, you could achieve all this yourself by just ordering the 'Standard' version of the jack and doing all the connections yourself...    :D

Your remaining option (yes, there's more!) is then to select whether it will be more convenient for you to have a jack with the pre-installed threaded bosses (nutserts) in the mounting flanges in case that makes it easier to mount in your particular installation...  including that option means you don't have to fiddle about with loose nuts, etc. behind the mounting panel when fitting the jack.

This option is available on whichever version you decide you require.

By all means, PM me with a valid email address that can cope with a 4MB PDF dowload, and I'll gladly send you an electronic copy of the Installation Instructions which sets out all these options in greater detail and living color!   ;D

...happy to answer more questions if or when you have any!

Regards from Summertime Oz  (31C today!)  ...phew!

Peter

Virtual Madness

Quote from: gumbo on December 01, 2013, 07:46:44 PMIn fact a version of the extended jack is currently under production with the other end of the cable having pre-attached 7 & 8-pin 'plugs' to suit the circuit board sockets of the Roland GK Internal Kit

Hi Peter,  :)

Have you made any of these yet? Do you have any pictures? How much will they be?
I can't believe I only just realized today that you were talking about a version of your 13 pin jacks that would plug right into the Roland preamp board. I'm very excited by this news as my soldering skills leave more than a little to be desired, and have been the only reason I haven't ordered any of your jacks yet!

Thanks, Royce

Elantric

QuoteDo you have any pictures?

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Virtual Madness on June 03, 2014, 11:55:20 AM
Hi Peter,  :)

Have you made any of these yet? Do you have any pictures? How much will they be?
I can't believe I only just realized today that you were talking about a version of your 13 pin jacks that would plug right into the Roland preamp board. I'm very excited by this news as my soldering skills leave more than a little to be desired, and have been the only reason I haven't ordered any of your jacks yet!

Thanks, Royce

Peter,I missed this also, count me in. Paul

neophytte

gumbo

Weeell..  thanks for the interest Everyone..appreciated..

In answer to the questions;

I built a couple of these before I dismantled the workshop ahead of its 35km move to the rural 'hills' above our previous address.  We have been trying to complete this move since early March..when we got here we found that there was more renovation & repairs needed than we first realised (funny about that!) and all the initial effort had to go into sorting out a place to eat, sleep & generally run our lives...  this meant that the workshop end of things has had to be put on a very 'slow boat' in the overall scheme of things.

This aspect is now finally beginning to come together and hopefully another 2-3 weeks will see most of THAT hard work done and Synth-Linx will be back on line fairly soon after that.

The initial 'run' (of two units!) sold very quickly just before the old workshop was packed up, and since then I have sold some more of this variation to Europe & Canada as 'kits'...not having the time or facilities to assemble them myself, I have supplied all the components individually (plugs, crimp pins, sleeving & instructions, etc.) so that the purchasers didn't have to wait for me to get my act together and could make this variation up themselves using the (available stock of) SL13JE or SL13JNE units as a basis..

The only real downside of doing it that way is that the purchaser does not (unless they are suitably equipped) have access to the (fine) wire stripping tools and crimping pliers that I have here to do the job myself....   although it can be done successfully if you follow the directions and take good care along the way.

The price of such a 'kit' is the base price of the Jack-with-tails of 35USD + another 2USD to cover the extra bits & pieces..the instruction sheet has been made available as a PDF, to show what needs to be done...  it's pretty rough-and-ready, but the info is all there.

I have attached a few pictures to show the general idea of what happens to the business-end of the standard 'tails' when you do this.....feel free to email me if you would like more information.

...and thanks to so many people who have been very patient and understanding of the other pressures in our lives over the last few months - MOST appreciated!   :-*

Virtual Madness

THANK YOU, Peter!

Right. That's it then. I HAVE TO buy a few of these when you get sorted. Take your time, and let us know when you're ready!

Thanks, Royce  :)

gumbo

Thanks Royce..
...I'll certainly do all of that!   ;)

whippinpost91850

thanks looking forward to availability

Elantric

QuoteHey all. . . ., i would just like to know if it get's rid of that irritating noise while moving the cable especially on higher gain patches?

Gumbo has the solution very soon for GR-55 and GP-10  - all metal replacement GK Input jacks with full 360 degree surface contact area with the Roland Gk13 cable Male Plug's large round shield ( the only Ground connection on the Gk13 cables ( stay tuned) :
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0

QuoteFWIW, the Synth-Linx Jack (with or without the attached 'extended' cable) can be integrated without much fuss and takes up less internal real estate than the Roland jack that comes with the GK-KIT-BG3.  Could be another reason to NOT need the kit in the first place.. ;)

I also make custom versions these days that include pre-fitted multiplugs to the 'other' end of the attached cables ...making the installation a solder-less operation for retro-fitting to existing GK guitars and GR-55 & GP-10 Synths.

By all means PM me if you would like more information.

Cheers,
Peter
Synth-Linx in Oz

romero

Just a thought about this Gumbo input jack. It might be very cool to also have a option for a pre-wired FX loop mod to go with this jack

whippinpost91850

Quote from:  Elantric on October 13, 2014, 06:16:06 PM
Gumbo has the solution very soon for GR-55 and GP-10  - all metal replacement GK Input jacks with full 360 degree surface contact area with the Roland Gk13 cable Male Plug's large round shield ( the only Ground connection on the Gk13 cables ( stay tuned) :

I've been waiting with bated breath for these. I can't wait till Gumbo makes these available

Moja

Looks very cool. But,  I would like to see what is behind that 16075  black shroud that covers the termination pins/wires. It must be very crowded inside there.

I have few of these 13 pin solder type connectors, and I consider myself a 55 yr soldering veteran. 45 yrs as a Electronic Design Engineer.

I tried soldering 13 wires to these pins several times. Being extremely careful with my expensive , temperature adjusted iron. Shrink tubing each connection before moving in to next one,... tedious process.
    Seems these solder type panel mount connectors are very temperature sensitive.
The tiny pins are press fit into the plastic housing. So everytime heat is applied, these tiny pins get loose a bit at a time. And impurities, solder flux, corrosion and tarnish build up due to Excessive  solder Iron heat, cause contact damage.
    Mating Connectors that have large currents flowing through them overcome mating surface impurities.
  But our 13-pins work with micro amp flows and any discontinuity is a disaster.

It was just a matter of time , and all it took is just one of the 13 pins to be over heated, loose, and loose it's snugness.
   I abandoned this approach since the reliability of soldering such a device was extremely poor.
   I totally understand that is why Roland did not solder wires directly onto such a panel mount connector. But thermally Isolating the right-angled connector into an intermediate PCB, they  resolved the Reliability issue.
    I will never again try to solder wires to such small plastic assemblies.  Crimp is the only way to go a Every a time !!! 

No Heat & no Flux

Terribly sorry if I hurt any one's feelings.
I would love to hear opinions, experience in this matter.

Thank you.

batman

I must say I'm very impressed with the jack and service.  I ordered one a few months ago and there was an issue with it (a problem with the manufacturer, not Gumbo).  Gumbo sent me a new one straight away no questions asked and it works great.

whippinpost91850

I just loaded my whole GR system with Gumbo's Synth-linx jacks and they are awesome ... Everything just seems to work better with the way way better ground ;D

gumbo

Thank you for your kind words, wp...  ...appreciated!   ;)

Cheers,
Peter