MadCatz / Fender Mustang Rock Band 3 controller

Started by Elantric, July 14, 2011, 05:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Anytime I buy something from Amazon, I find It's important to review all the  available pricing options , and review the terms of the particular seller, Many provide the same 30 day return policy, no questions asked as when purchasing Direct from Amazon (with the free Super Saver Shipping), and I have had very easy return procedure, should I need it)

But it's true , not all Sellers at Amazon offer those same terms.

It might be the sad state of poor education as to why they ate $20 as the 20% restocking fee.

Line up a few 22yr old Amercans, and most if them will think that would be the correct amount.

$&@?

mbenigni

It's just been one of those transactions where any one of the little speedbumps would have been annoying (and indeed one or two of them were my own fault.)  But taken all together... I'm completely ticked off at this point.  Appalling customer service, and now what looks like an attempt to skim some revenue off the top if I should happen to ignore the details.  Completely unacceptable.

I appreciate your point now about reviewing the policies of a given seller.  I've always been careful if I use the "also available" page to shop for the lowest price, but in this case Price Pros were the default vendor if you just clicked Amazon's Add to Cart button.  In those cases I've gotten a little complacent over the years that Amazon will favor vendors who are on the up and up.  A little bit wiser now I guess...

Elantric

I would ramp it up and contact Amazon Customer Service.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, then post a review, but explain your displeasure with the Price Pros customer return policy.

That will get attention.

mbenigni

QuoteI would ramp it up and contact Amazon Customer Service.
I wish I could.  Amazon's Customer Service links all railroad me back to the Seller's "customer service".  And they don't open for another hour or so.

In the course of reviewing Amazon's return policies and the Price Pros policy, I can't find any text anywhere indicating a specific restocking fee.  This is the part that bothers me most.

If they're holding me accountable for return shipping, they never told me up front. (They provided a pre-paid FedEx label, which at the time actually seemed like a nice touch.)  It might have swayed my decision as to whether to just keep the damn thing.

At this point I've spent $48, they have unopened product back in hand, and I've been refunded all of $23.  And I suspect there will be some double-speak to prevent me getting another cent.  They'll probably claim they shipped it back to themselves overnight (at my expense) or something - a decision I had nothing to do with and can't confirm either way.

lespauled

Quote from:  Elantric on July 14, 2011, 05:15:27 PM

My son has this for the PS3.  A while back, I used it to record midi tracks.  It's a bit clunky, but it gets the job done.

Elantric

malhomme

Hi to all.

Just got one for cheap, unboxed.

I have an issue, a simple one : the madcatz site manual section is down, and I'd like of course to have the manual to know how to change modes and all that can be done,midi-wise.

If anyone secured a digital copy of the midi manual, it would greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance.

admin

QuoteHi to all.

Just got one for cheap, unboxed.

I have an issue, a simple one : the madcatz site manual section is down, and I'd like of course to have the manual to know how to change modes and all that can be done,midi-wise.

If anyone secured a digital copy of the midi manual, it would greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance.

Here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5924.0;attach=16299

or here

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1161046/Fender-Rock-Band-3-Wireless-Fender-Mustang-Pro.html

fendrix

Hi,
i have a Mad cat Fender mustand pro
and i think this is the best midi controller that i have.
I have a problem, the strings tension is too high,
when i play a song and accidentally i touch a string then the trigger plays the note.
What i should to do for to have a less string tension?

Thank you

mooncaine

I don't think changing strings will help much, but you could consider flatwounds.

The unwanted notes happen because the MIDI interface is trying very hard to make a note out of *any sound it can hear*, so you probably need to play guitar differently, with more muting. Do you think that would help?

fendrix

For first, sorry for my englsh:

The Mad Catz Fender Mustand is a midi controller that don't use any Roland gk system.
For the flatwound, they are used in the guitars with the Gk system and yes, they works better than normal strings.
Any guitar with exaphonc pickup, from my experience, will never perfect, this because the pickup has to translate the vibration from the stell to a midi message, wich the stell (chrome or what you want) is a metal and there are many harmonics/subharonics that you can't hear but the magnet can hear and sometime you have these false notes.
And the bridge is metal too, so that this increase that subharmnics.
Maybe if the strings are made with another material that have less harmonics and the bridge is made of plastic... you can solve many probles but never perfect.

Maybe this is a stupid idea, a fantasy, i don't understand nothing about electornic, but,
if there will a system, like the RMC, that the strings are over the bridge,
and in the strings, there will a little tension of current,
maybe with this method, the midi will better than any exaphonc pickup for avoid there false notes,
you know maybe a E lower opened string can send a tention for example 0,05,
a F can send a 0,09,
and the RMC system can translate the tension of this current to midi, for example they know that from 0,05 to 0,07 can be E, from 0,08 to 0,10 the F and so on.
Unlucky i'm not an engineer and i can't project it.

The Mad Catz Mustand use mechanic method and the trigger is too sensisble, so i would like to have this trigger "sensivity" a little less because i have false notes when accidentally i touch a string.
Maybe somebody know what i should to do?

mooncaine

Rodrigo Schwarz

Hello, fendrix.
I also have a Mad Cat Fender Mustang. It is a fun equipment, and at its low cost is worth the investment. But it is not an efficient MIDI controller. Just like yours, mine constantly presents tracking errors, especially when I play open strings. But it's the nature of the device, I honestly do not think there's anything that can be done other than investing in a better MIDI controller for guitarists, like the Artiphon (which is on my wish list). But for its low cost, I do not regret purchasing the Mad Cat Fender Mustang. ;)
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

fendrix

Rodrigo thank you for your answer.
Well, the Madcatz, for now, is the best instrument that i use as midi controller,
there are never wrong notes or something like this,
the only 1 problem is that i don't have the possibility to regulated the tension of the string, and, i mean the trigger,
for example the Casio dg20 you can pull the strings with they are the trigger of the instrument,
and i can't do nothing on the mustang.

Now, you told me about that instrument,
can you tell me if you plaied this instrument?
Whay about the felling of right hand? I saw that htere aren't strings, so what about the fell when you toucht them?
The only bad thing is that in my country, Italy, is hard to find these instruments expecially news.

I'm curionse for example, if i have 2 instruments news, as casio dg20 and the madcatz with would be better.

Rodrigo Schwarz

No, Fendrix, I have not played with the Artiphon yet. I live in Brazil, here too it is not available, unfortunately.  :'( My sister travels to the US in August and I will order one with her.

About the Mad Cat, the problem I have with it is that if I play an open string, the note keeps ringing. It will only stop if I play some fretted note on that "string". And this is not always desirable or practical. Some notes on the "guitar neck" also sometimes  keeps ringing unnecessarily. But the Mad Cat is a toy that serves as a MIDI controller, so I'm not complaining. But I'm looking forward to August!
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

fendrix

mine too does the same thing,
but this is "normal", there is a video that a boy explain it,
so it has not a problem.
About the other notes i don't know, as i told you, the only problem are the tensions of strings.

Then, i think the keys are a little too high and too "fat", when i use the solo mode, i can accidentally touch another key "really sensitive" and maybe i can play another note.

There is a simliar guitar, the Yamaha Ez serie, which has keys more slim, less high, and you can adjust the strings tension,
but as i told you, they are old instruments, so i can't be sure if they works ok on 100%
we should compare some NEW products togheter for to say wich is better,and maybe for you is better one, for me another,
i think this depend from your style to play guitar.

By the way let's us to know about that guitar, surely we are interested in.

Rodrigo Schwarz

Quote from:  fendrix on May 15, 2018, 10:40:28 AM
By the way let's us to know about that guitar, surely we are interested in.

Of course, as soon as I spend a few days with the Artiphon I will post a review here. :)

admin

Quote from: fendrix on May 15, 2018, 09:45:03 AM
Rodrigo thank you for your answer.
Well, the Madcatz, for now, is the best instrument that i use as midi controller,

I would place the You Rock Guitar (Gen2) higher than MadCatz / Fender Mustang
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3230.0

FWIW
MadCatz / Fender Mustang Rock Band 3 controller Owners Manual
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5924.0;attach=16299

malhomme

Hi to all.... I am kind of digging old dirt here.

I have acuisred a madcatz fender mustag pro, and have had plenty of fun with it.
Yet, suddenly all led are binking, and it will not work anymore.

If any user has some insight on the possible reason for this all led blinking, I may find a solution easier ?
Thanks in advance...

Wolverkeen

I'm in kind of the same boat as the above poster.   Had an extra $40 in Amazon credit and ordered one of these- the Wii version is apparently still in production/stock.  Plugged in to my midi adapter,  turned it on,  and all lights blink as if it's trying to wirelessly pair with the Wii- no midi signal.   Plugged the included wireless dongle into a Wii- the guitar paired with that,  but it still isn't producing midi info.  Anybody know what's happening here?

admin

Wolverkeen

Thanks for the info!
However, I've read the manual- and as I stated before,  tried the controller without the Wii adapter first.  It appears to be wanting to wirelessly pair as a game controller and not function in "midi mode"- seems like it may be a malfunction in the firmware onboard the controller.  Hoping someone on here smarter than myself has some direct experience with this issue.

admin

Quote from: Wolverkeen on February 04, 2020, 05:15:38 PM
Thanks for the info!
However, I've read the manual- and as I stated before,  tried the controller without the Wii adapter first.  It appears to be wanting to wirelessly pair as a game controller and not function in "midi mode"- seems like it may be a malfunction in the firmware onboard the controller.  Hoping someone on here smarter than myself has some direct experience with this issue.

Insert Batteries

Turn ON

Connect 5 pin MIDI cable to Synth or use a USB Class Complaint USB<> MIDI cable to your Mac/ PC and drive Soft Syths

debug here

MIDI controller Setup / Debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

Wolverkeen

Yep,  watched that,  completed those steps- still all four LEDs blink continuously and no midi signal is output.

admin

Quote from: Wolverkeen on February 04, 2020, 05:22:14 PM
Yep,  watched that,  completed those steps- still all four LEDs blink continuously and no midi signal is output.
get a return authorization from Amazon
  - many of these are now customer returns , so its a gamble on getting one that actually still works as a MIDI Controller

Mine works straight away  - MadCatz / Fender Mustang Rock Band Controller 5 pin MIDI Out > Blofeld Synth MIDI IN   

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Mad_Catz_Rock_Band_4_Wireless_Fender_Troubleshooting

But in this category I much prefer the YouRock Gen II
https://soundbytesmag.net/yourock-midi-guitar-yrg-1000-gen-2-by-inspired-instruments/