VG-99 MIDI string assignment limitations

Started by Elantric, November 03, 2011, 07:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

For reference.

Here's a recent discussion on the VG-99's Guitar to MIDI issues.

--------

Noise1010 wrote>

"This is what I have found out my attempt to send only 6th string Note messages on MIDI Ch 1:

The basic channel setting only goes to 11! (perhaps a subtle nod to Nigel Tufnel?) So, no 'rollover' to lower midi channels in sequence by starting at 12.

Using alternate tuning, I was not able affect the NOTE ON or velocity signal by turning the string volume to 0.

I could transpose to the "equivalent" of a low E by lowering the pitch 24 steps.

and, quoting midisolutions, regarding the hardware solution that can accomplish this...

"Both the MIDI Solutions Router and Event Processors can be programmed to rechannelize MIDI messages. The Router is a little easier to set up, it can be programmed to rechannelize all MIDI messages on a particular MIDI channel with a single setting, and offers 10 settings total (which would allow it to rechannelize a maximim of 10 MIDI channels). The Event Processors require separate settings to be created for each type of MIDI event to be rechannelized (i.e., Note-on, Note-off, Control Change, etc.), but are newer products and have many more features than the Router."

And, FYI, for those, like myself, who don't know:

"we have received reports that the VG-99 does not provide power to the MIDI Solutions products. There is a workaround to this problem - connect the MIDI Out from the VG-99 to the MIDI In of some other MIDI device, then MIDI Thru from that device into the MIDI Solutions product. If you don't have any other MIDI devices available then the MIDI Solutions Power Adapter can provide a solution."