JS-10- Pick up problem

Started by pjoubert, June 12, 2019, 09:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjoubert

I have an Ibanez electric guitar with Seymour Duncan pick ups.  I have a problem with notes resonating faster than normal and then breaking up.  This is the case with any overdrive effects. I attach an audio file.

mooncaine

I listened, but no solution comes to mind. Is there a noise suppression effect in the signal chain?

admin

Quote from: pjoubert on June 12, 2019, 09:36:47 AM
I have an Ibanez electric guitar with Seymour Duncan pick ups.  I have a problem with notes resonating faster than normal and then breaking up.  This is the case with any overdrive effects. I attach an audio file.

Describe the complete signal chain
Earlier I believe you mentioned you were using Guitar> Zoom 707> JS-10

Try removing the Zoom 707

Go Guitar> JS-10 - should work better

Boss JS-10 may not play well with other external pedals feeding its Guitar Input

pjoubert

Hi Mooncain and Admin. Thank you for replying.  I have done quite a bit of searching and have come up with results exactly the same as mine.  The problem seems to be a rather complicated one which may be the result of a combination of things (strings, pick ups, neck)
https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/4307/strange-guitar-warble-sound
https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?40931-Pickups-and-String-Oscillation-DRIVING-ME-NUTS!!!

I have tried removing the original Ibanez pick up in the middle, leaving the 2 Seymour Duncan customs, lowering the pick ups as low as possible, all to no avail. The first and second strings are the ones affected most.

mooncaine

Can we see a photo or two of the guitar? I'd want to see the whole guitar, the peghead, and the bridge. I'm thinking about physical resonances, like... a string behind the nut, for example.

pjoubert

Hi Mooncaine, I hope these photos tell a story.  Note that I have removed the Volume pot (long ago) as I do not use the volume.  This did not negatively impact the sound. I removed the Ibanez pick up in the middle (a few days ago) to see whether that would solve the problem.

admin

Quote from: pjoubert on June 14, 2019, 05:33:54 AM
Hi Mooncaine, I hope these photos tell a story.  Note that I have removed the Volume pot (long ago) as I do not use the volume.  This did not negatively impact the sound. I removed the Ibanez pick up in the middle (a few days ago) to see whether that would solve the problem.

Actually removing the 500k Vol pot  will impact your tone - you could install a 500k resistor across the guitar 1/4" output jack  - to provide a 500k termination load at your guitar  - same as having a vol pot on "10"

pjoubert

Thank you Admin!  Maybe I should just put back the volume pot.  I just hate it when the Volume changes with the slightest movement.  I do have a volume pedal.

pjoubert

I also have to add that the volume knob hurts my hand as I love  picking quite high up.

pjoubert

I have solved the problem by replacing the 3 thinner strings and cleaning the neck.  I have an idea that it has something to do with strings stretching or becoming magnetic.  My guitar sounds great and I am back to enjoying it very much.