Guitar to MIDI - Midipipe script for more control

Started by sixeight, January 24, 2011, 01:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

For all you Mac softsynth users. I wrote a script in Midipipe, which is mentioned here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1175.0

This script does the following things:

On MidiPipe Output 1:
* You can switch midi on and of by sending cc#9 on channel 7 (I control this with Control 3 - you can set this on System - MIDI - Page 7 TX CC)
* It filters out set volume at 100, so my volume doesn't change to 100 on changing patches
* By adding LSB 1 to the program change message send by the VG99, sound is turned on
* By adding LSB 0 to the program change message, sound is turned off.

On Midipipe Output 2:
* It plays only the note on the lowest string you play. So it is an automated bassnote player. With a bit of practise it works great.
* You can switch bass mode on by pressing V-LINK on and off. Every patch must have VLINK ASGN 1 set to Wave pedal - BPM sync - Rate 100 otherwise no message is send when V-LINK is switched on

I use AU Lab with sampletank (which is free now) and 4Front bass player for the bass notes.

You can only use Midipipe Output 1 if you don't care about bass notes. It is well worth it. I use it all the time now.

To get it working:
1) Install Midipipe
2) Unzip the script and load it - I hope it detects the VG99 drivers OK, otherwise you can edit them.
3) Load some plug-ins, set the MIDI input to MIDIpipe input 1 or 2 and start playing. If you hear no sound, switch on midi by sending cc#9 on channel 7
4) It doesn't work on a windows machine

Elantric

Thanks!

As a reference: The most complete VG99 MIDI Implementation Documentation is here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2968.0

sixeight

Here is a clip to demonstrate what this script can do.

4 Voices in one take. Recorded straight into Cubase from VG-99 and Macbook with soft-synths

Voice 1: Acoustic sound of my Crafter combined ith some COSM stuff for better sound.
Voice 2: Bass from 4Front Bass plugin - The MIDIpipe script picks out the bass note and allows switching on and off through the V-link button.
Voice 3: COSM TE through combo match drive - delayed and harmonized.
Voice 4: Sampletank organ loaded in pedalboard (plug-in host). The Midipipe script allows for switching the sound on and off through Ctrl-4.

Anyone tried this script already? i cannot perform without it anymore.

PD FX

Ah, midipipe, interesting, didnt know of its existance, will check it out..
till now allway used midipatchbay on macosx
http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/
it is very easy to program, you can hide cc's, combine channels, create virtual outputs. supports keyranges.
works great, and you can change all stuff on the fly. no scripting required.
I primairly use it to merge cc's from one device with notes from another and for keyrange splitting.

teejay

Is there a PC version / equivalent of this program by any chance

Cheers.....
Custom KGB headless, internal GK2a and sustainiac stealth plus. GR55 straight into PA.   Guitar out (COSM) feeding digitech VL4 vocal harmoniser.

sixeight

Quote from: teejay on December 10, 2013, 02:54:27 PM
Is there a PC version / equivalent of this program by any chance

Maybe Bome's midi translator will do the trick.
http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator/overview/win

It depends on what you are trying to achieve...

stublito

If anyone is interested, I have developed some Applescript techniques for MIDIPipe, including the use of so called "Global Constant" variables. You can have multiple "pipes" included in one MIDIPipe document, these enable the passing of stored values between separate MIDIPipes:

The Applescript variables are

My minutes
My hours
My quote
My weeks
My days
My pi
My linefeed
My text item delimiters
My print depth
My print length

You would have to clear/initialize most of these from their default values before using them however.

Stublito