GK Pickup re-install, need help/suggestion

Started by Raj MK, January 09, 2018, 08:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raj MK

I have GK installed on my Yamaha Pacifica, it is not a permanent fix (fixed using the double tape came with the package). I really enjoy playing GK + GP10.

I recently noticed the GK pickup was peeling up and touching the high E string frequently, and i have to press it to stick again, annoying. I thought i would take out and fix it again with fresh tape. (i would like to still not do perm fix).

I browsed, found many options like Blu Tack, Scotch double tape and adhesive putty. I live is US, and i am thinking of 3M scotch double tape indoor:
https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_US/scotch-brand/products/catalog/~/?N=4335+3294268062+3294529207+3294857497&rt=rud as the thickness of the tape is same as current padding now. Would it leave residue or any other precautions or any other better suggestions than Scotch tape (specific type)

Any suggestions or feedback on this approach? appreciated. If we have posts discussion already on this topic, please direct me.

Thanks!

mmmmgtr

I have very successfully used the Scotch 3M double sided tape for my installs.  It holds quite well, and can be removed, but you need to be very careful during the removal process. I have always used it on guitars finished with poly, not sure how well the removal would go on a lacquer/nitro finish.

If the top of your guitar is arched or curved like mine, you need to build-up the tape by cutting different pieces to follow the contour. The best advice I can give is patience.