Help on mysterious vibration in my 1989 Strat Plus.. GK2A or Lace Sensor?

Started by pasha811, December 26, 2017, 12:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Well,

In the last 12-18 months, my Strat Plus from 1989 was exhibiting a vibration (noticeable when unplugged) on E low and A low String when striking a B note (7th fret or 2nd fret) or an A note (5th fret) and A string. I though it was my 'handmade' mounting plate for the GK2A but last year (Kudos to Roland) I was able to order and get original parts and now GK2A mounting plate is solid as a rock and mounted to match specks. GK2A is glued with Roland double tape to the pick guard.
I was not very worried about this strange vibration as I was able to determine that no fret buzz was involved. (I made the action higher to see it that was the cause but no way so I put it back). The neck is matching specs as well (not bowed or otherwise).
However a week ago the vibration made its 'inroads' into my earphones when I was recording into my DAW. Checked the audio and it seems normal. It happens when natural PU is selected.  ???
Yesterday I have finally checked all the hardware. The neck PU (Lace Sensor Gold) was loose. I had lowered it to allow the spacing at the 22nd fret to avoid magnet pull down about 1 year ago. However it seems that something went wrong with that operation.
The PU 'walks' if I play standing vibration is less prone to happen, if I play in a sit position it happens 100% of the times. I have found that if I tilt the guitar the PU moves as if the screw and its counter force spring were not keeping it in a firm position. If I take the PU between 1st finger and thumb i can rattle it up and down. So that might be the cause. Or not?  ::)
In your experience can Natural PU springs deteriorate and need replacement?

Thanks a lot, any suggestion welcome!

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Mrchevy

touch the pickup firmly with your finger when hearing the vibration...... does it stop? The pickups should have some movement, but not jigglly loose. make sure the adjustment screws for the pickups are actually set into the pickup. Grab the head of the screw with your finger nails......can you pull the screw out? pull the pick guard cover and check your pickup screws and springs. if the springs are not compressed at least slightly, then pull them out and stretch them slightly so they are compressed when the screw is threaded to the pickup. It sounds like you might have un-seated the adjustment screw from the pickup when you lowered it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

pasha811

Quote from: Mrchevy on December 26, 2017, 03:40:53 AM
touch the pickup firmly with your finger when hearing the vibration...... does it stop? The pickups should have some movement, but not jigglly loose. make sure the adjustment screws for the pickups are actually set into the pickup. Grab the head of the screw with your finger nails......can you pull the screw out? pull the pick guard cover and check your pickup screws and springs. if the springs are not compressed at least slightly, then pull them out and stretch them slightly so they are compressed when the screw is threaded to the pickup. It sounds like you might have un-seated the adjustment screw from the pickup when you lowered it.

Good points thanks! The screw does not pull out with my fingers. However I have to re-string in the next days and it's a good moment to look inside. Stretching the springs sound good, I didn't think about that, Thanks!

Best
Pasha

BackDAWman

On my strat plus (91) the 'spring" is actually rubber tube. The rubber can deteriorate to the point of falling away.

pasha811

Quote from: BackDAWman on December 26, 2017, 01:00:10 PM
On my strat plus (91) the 'spring" is actually rubber tube. The rubber can deteriorate to the point of falling away.

Well, another sign of something wrong is that if I tilt the guitar vigorously I hear a mechanical noise coming from the inside like things that collide into each other. Time to open the old lady.

Thanks
All the Best
Pasha

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

pasha811

Quote from: gumbo on December 27, 2017, 03:04:57 AM
...just don't let the smoke out...    8)

Well, so far I do not hear any tic-toc like noise... but if you look into the news from Italy... you can easily tell if something went wrong.. :-)