ADD LR Baggs X bridge to GC-1

Started by davang55, December 21, 2017, 07:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davang55

OK this might be crazy and cause many to roll their eyes, BUT, has anyone ever tried to add the LR Baggs piezo strat bridge to a RR strat/GC-1 and wire it in somehow to the mag pickup circuit?

admin

The GK-3 is designed for the GK mag hex PU  - not Piezo saddles.
There are hurdles / options / solutions.

You will need a 6 channel Piezo input buffer board.

there is the RMC Polydrive I

RMC Polydrive I is  a very compact Piezo Input replacement for the GK-KIT-GT3, but this little GK-13 DIN PC board also provides 6 channel Piezo input buffer and separate individual buffered output for each string  - which could feed the mag PU connection on a GK-3, or Fishman Tripleplay 

http://www.rackvax.com/store/#!/RMC-Poly-Drive-I-Miniature-Onboard-Polyphonic-Active-Electronics-for-Electric-Guitar/p/5214800/category=966020

-----

However, I do NOT recommend Graphtech MIDIHexpander  piezo Preamp  - the electronics look well executed, however in real world use with VGuitar systems ( Roland VG-99/ Boss GP-10 / Antares ATG) where excellent audio performance of the GK 13 preamp is crucial) , the MIDIHexpander hex preamp is very sub standard - delivering audio with a lot of hiss and noise and high crosstalk. The Graphtech designers apparently thought their nice looking Ghost preamp would only be used with Guitar to MIDI conversion systems
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/terratec-axon-ax100-mkii

apparently Graph-Tech figured / thought:
Quote "let the Roland / Axon Guitar to MIDI DSP handle the error correction  / noise reduction in the DSP pitch to MIDI algorithm   - no need to design a MIDI Hexpander product with decent audio performance specs in this situation!"

They never anticipate their Ghost  preamp would be part of the final Audio path where the actual string is the audio source , required for decent performance with  Roland VG-99/ Boss GP-10 / Antares ATG systems. 

--
and there is DIY solutions

build six  of these as small as you can and feed the GK-3 6 channel input where the GK Mag PU would have been. 

davang55

Thanks for the info. I would still use the GK-3 as the synth driver, the piezo would be for audio path only to mix with the mag.

Elantric

Quote from: davang55 on December 22, 2017, 09:16:22 AM
Thanks for the info. I would still use the GK-3 as the synth driver, the piezo would be for audio path only to mix with the mag.

I did exactly that in 1998