New Kickstarter project with GK3 like box for One Man Band capabilities?

Started by aliensporebomb, December 09, 2017, 07:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

sixeight

The websites does mention the wire:

QuoteThe OMB uses a 3M adhesive backing to stay on your guitar. The installation process involves soldering a small wire that runs along the neck of your guitar to the ends of the frets. This process takes about about 10 minutes, and can even be done by most guitar repair shops.

We have ensured that you can easily remove the 3M tape and clean up any residual adhesive with alcohol - it leaves no marks. To remove the metal wire from your guitar you will need to de-solder the connection point on each fret. We have made sure that both the installation and removal of our product will leave your guitar with absolutely no marks or damage when following our instructions, and should you not feel up for the task, most guitar repair shops will perform the work. If guitar modifications are not your speed, we are also selling guitars with the OMB technology built in.

I hope it will be reliable enough for real live usage...

admin

Quote from: sixeight on December 09, 2017, 08:49:53 AM
The websites does mention the wire:

I hope it will be reliable enough for real live usage...

Thats a major turn off

admin

Quote from:  sec6
Did you see the part of the video that said it only takes "10 minutes" to install and then shows what appears to be copper foil being run along the neck binding and soldered to the frets? It is a fret triggering system like the fretsense system by Industrial Radio. Hate to rain on the parade but this project will not end well. Mark my words. Beware of Kickstarter--lots of scams out there. And when the products don't come to fruition, they take the money and run. A rule of thumb for me is the more glossy and overproduced the videos are, the less viable the project will be.

Agreed - or significant product changes occur where their final deliverable product no longer resembles the initial kickstarter concept 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16118.msg115153#msg115153

A few folks were upset when the final version of the Fusion Guitar is 6 inches longer and now has a headstock   = less compact than the original concept used during the kickstarter funding - then they said a delay occurred due to CITES Rosewood regulations
https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species

- when in fact the Fusion Guitar product was being redesigned for lower cost,  use with off the shelf Gotoh bridge and adding a Headstock and conventional tuners.   

The original version

the final version

chrish

Maybe OMB should sell a quality strat neck with their wired fret technology embedded.

Don't think I'd buy the whole guitar just to get the tech.

However depending on the price i might take a stab at buying a cheap Paul Reed Smith  and doing the solder work myself.

However I do wrap my thumb sometimes too hit bass notes and dampen bass strings, so I wonder whether that copper  strip would interfere with comfort.( assuming that's where it's placed)

And then of course there is the Frankenstein effect to consider. :)