MAINSTAGE- How I use my GP-10 + Apple Mainstage in my rig

Started by Bit Flicker, January 21, 2018, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bit Flicker

I thought I'd put something together explaining my use of the GP-10 and other bits of software in the hope it connects with people interested in what I have to share.

My approach is to have all the best sounding types of guitars I can have from the GP-10 that I know work well for different styles, (nylon, steel, funk, jazz, classic rock, heavy sustain, pitch shift -12 to +12, bass, Slap Bass, Sitar). I then have the same guitar patches repeated except dropped to C or up to D on the next 10 patches. (read my other thread on why I did this like this). Because my effects are controlled and run externally there is great continuity.

The synths are run in mainstage (MS) due to its ability to patch change and have advanced midi curve editing, plus other things (there are some horrible limitations to MS as well but any app will have some sort of limitation and I have tried most, but MS suits me best).

I also have three loopers in MS that I can sample individually on the fly so once a loop is sampled off the looper I can clear it and make another loop to be sampled if I want. This is a great workflow for me because I can then place the samples onto my sequencer whilst the loop is playing front of house (or not), the sequencer keeps the sounds and beats going as I adjust and edit effects so that there is never a break in how the music flows. The loops can be built up (and edited in realtime!) to make many layers providing rich dynamics and avoid the annoying repetition loopers often create.

It is evolving music that can either be completely freeform or based on predesigned patterns/structure and sounds in the sequencer. The idea is for live, so I am working on being able to produce something new each time I play. I can reuse riffs and patterns, stored in my head, that I know work well along with the sounds that work well, but it is massively versatile. I can have complete MS concerts loaded up with any number of different synths in the patch list that can have a significantly different feel to what can be produced.

I use maschine studio for my drumming, midi sequencer and sampler inside of MS so the sync is tight (the only way to do this due to midi drift between apps as mainstage doesn't have ableton link).

I then route the stereo output to my other mac that handles the master effects with stage and monitoring channels. Monitoring each layer of the rig is important so that I can check if I have the right sounds and if they will come in to front of house balanced or not.

I think I have something like 40 midi foot controls and two korg nano mixers along with a Native instrument Studio Mk2 for the control.

I have iconnectiviy midi4+ and audio4+ for my interfaces allowing for advanced routing.

It's all about producing studio quality in a live situation. I am not ready to go on the road with it yet but it is close. The music flows from my soul into this world with only the limitation of my imagination (oh and actual technical playing abilities of which I am very capable but not close to being as good as I'd like to be  ;D).

I have a mike running into all this so I can get vocals and my sax if I want.

Its lots of fun being able to do this on my own but I have a vision that it can be shared with many other musicians that have something to contribute to the sound at any time.

All for the sheer joy of it and that of others. To connect and be alive.

List of gear and software.

Gear List:

GP-10
Ibanez JS with internal instal of gk3 plus
2x FCB 1010 (mod'ed)
NI guitar rig 3
2x Korg nano kontrol
Maschine MK2
Resonator
Mike

iMac i7 2.8 QC 16gb RAM
MBP i7 2.4 QC 16gb RAM

iConnectivity midi4+ and audio 4+

Software:

iMac:
Mainstage 3 running various vst synths and maschine 2.6

MBP:
Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2
Audio Mulch (guitar and vocal effects)
Mainstage 3
Osculator

If there is a better place for this topic then I was unaware of it at the time of posting.

The secret is to share.

beatpete

Sounds amazing, I'd love to see your show!

Vaultnaemsae

It's really interesting the way BitFlicker has rethought the GP-10 + MG2 via audio/midi routing/editing environment.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Elantric

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on January 30, 2018, 09:04:53 AM
It's really interesting the way BitFlicker has rethought the GP-10 + MG2 via audio/midi routing/editing environment.

Actually thats the same way many folks with Mainstage would run

Apple Mainstage
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=184.0

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

Vaultnaemsae

Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae