Good news for GK 13 pin users

Started by highlandsrock, September 11, 2017, 09:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on October 10, 2017, 10:23:10 AM
They should have listened to you, Elantric!

It was all I could do to get paid for my efforts  - finally occurred 9 months after i left the project

It was ironic that my own home shop had 1000% more tools, test equipment and resources compared to what was available at the Gibson woodshop in nashville.

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on October 10, 2017, 08:23:39 AM
Gibson tried it with the Digital Guitar and failed miserably.........

Quote from: Elantric on October 10, 2017, 08:54:41 AM
because the price for what was delivered did not match the hype

This! That guitar was before my time and I do not have experience with it but as everything with Gibson, it was an overpriced instrument that came in only one format, a "Les Paul".

My vision would be for the next generation GK Kit interface retrofit for any guitar. It would open the tech to many other guitarists.

If they decide to stick with the current analog 13-pin design. I believe they should introduce the option for extra channels for 7 and 8 strings guitars. The S1 and S2 switches would not be a big loss IMO and those two channels can be used for this purpose (ala Cycfi). In this case the kit should allow an option to toggle between modes so the kit can be used with all processors.
Again, this would introduce the tech to the new wave of extended range guitarist and Metal guitarists.

admin

Quote from: Chameleon on October 07, 2017, 01:25:10 PM
I know it'll never happen, but I'd love a paring of a Katana with Gp-10 instrument modeling and a frfr enclosure or extension cab and a truely dedicated beefed up foot controller.

They tried that once before  - Roland VGA-7

https://www.roland.com/us/products/vga-7/

rolandvg99

The VGA-7 and the VGA-3 - it was easier to sell sand to a Bedouin than these amps to a guitarist.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

chrish

Roland has tried every marketing ploy with its recycled technology. Let's not forget the Roland G5 Strat.

"G-5 provides a new world of electric and acoustic guitar tones recreated by COSM — including instantly accessible alternate tunings and 12-string sounds for all COSM guitar tones! The G-5 also offers a built-in library of coveted modeled pickup tones, and, thanks to COSM technology, also enables unique "ideal-performance" pickups, such as a humbucker with ultra-wide tone and a single coil with full, bold tone."

I prefer analog hex.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: chrish on October 10, 2017, 07:21:30 PM
Roland has tried every marketing ploy with its recycled technology. Let's not forget the Roland G5 Strat.

"G-5 provides a new world of electric and acoustic guitar tones recreated by COSM — including instantly accessible alternate tunings and 12-string sounds for all COSM guitar tones! The G-5 also offers a built-in library of coveted modeled pickup tones, and, thanks to COSM technology, also enables unique "ideal-performance" pickups, such as a humbucker with ultra-wide tone and a single coil with full, bold tone."

I prefer analog hex.

Me too!  I believe that analog polyphonic guitar is a great new direction that many traditional guitarists will find acceptable.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

chrish

This was a Sweetwater ad that I saw today. Notice the use of the heading "boss midi guitars and Pickups" and then they proceeded to have pictures of GP10's for sale.

The myth continues, or should I say misinformation continues.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c593--Boss--MIDI_Guitars_and_Pickups

Boss MIDI Guitars & Pickups
Items 1-2 of 2 Products
Filter
Popular
BRAND
(x)
Boss
FINANCING
48 Months (2)
Boss GP-10 Guitar Processor with GK-3 Pickup   
BOSS GP-10 GUITAR PROCESSOR WITH GK-3 PICKUP
$399.99
Or $9/month§ for 48 months
(10)
Boss GP-10 Guitar Processor without GK-3 Pickup   
BOSS GP-10 GUITAR PROCESSOR WITHOUT GK-3 PICKUP
$349.99

admin

chrish

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 24, 2017, 10:56:22 AM
Price lower 365 days a week using our group buy
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10877.0
oh yeah super good deal on the group buys thanks again for setting those up.

I guess what mystifies me is that a company like Sweetwater would refer to this setup as "boss Midi Guitar and pick up". It would be more accurate to say boss modeling processor and analog hex gk3 pick up.

Seems like They're going to sell less product to guitar players who think they're contemplating buying a midi guitar pickup because guitar pitch to MIDI is associated with poor tracking results.

That misinformation is often echoed in other forums where people think that modeling processors are being triggered by midi pickups.

pasha811

.. Or some Guitarists do not like the concept of modeling, being Guitar Cord and AMP people.. sure announcement like sweetwater's one do no good to the cause!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

nerve

I would like to see a new 13-pin analog polyphonic guitar unit...

Elantric

chrish

nerve

Yes. That IS cool... but 'twas thinking of a synth unit...

jassy

Quote from: chrish on November 29, 2017, 06:35:17 PM
I'd highly recommend this pedal. It can do what the Roland GR
100 did but on steroids.
It can do Gr300 sound?

admin

Quote from: jassy on December 03, 2017, 04:51:21 PM
It can do Gr300 sound?

No  but gets close to GR-100 sound sound

http://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-100.htm

nerve

Any new 13pin units at this years upcoming namm?

admin

Quote from: nerve on January 17, 2018, 04:16:26 PM
Any new 13pin units at this years upcoming namm?

We will all know in 1 week

Rhcole

nerve

I bet nothing... :P but hoping for something...  :-* Over the years, I've actually reached out to three manufactures who I believe could bring some cool 13pin products to market...They all said: We've discussed it...but we're focusing on other stuff at the moment...

chrish

I'm waiting for the Behringer or Spicestone clone+ of the GR 300 analog synthesizer. Pitch the voltage tracking, no MIDI, 13 pin.

Roland patent expires in 2020. ;)

aliensporebomb

Prediction: it might not be what we think it is?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

nerve

Welp...

I just had my 2nd Ghost 13-pin hex instrument finished up....i'm itching to get a 6ch analog processor...  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

alexmcginness

Like a lot of people here Im waiting for the next VG-99. Something that's not a stripped down version but a VG-99 with a lot of what the users have suggested they'd like to see added to whats already there without taking anything away. THEN I'm in. I'd buy one for my studio and continue to use my current collection of 99s for live work. Do I think that will happen? Well theres two chances... slim and none and "none" is the one I'm guessing is what we will see. I'll be using the 99 for a long time to come if I don't see a real upgrade to it as its more than capable and deep enough to satisfy my guitar processing needs for some time to come.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

vanceg

Fretless with a whammy bar?!   Right on!

You really might want to check out the Spicetone!

Quote from: nerve on January 19, 2018, 08:41:24 AM
Welp...

I just had my 2nd Ghost 13-pin hex instrument finished up....i'm itching to get a 6ch analog processor...  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D