Using an Ipad live in lieu of a GR-55.

Started by mdortona, April 16, 2017, 07:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdortona

For those using the Ipad live, how are you switching between presents. I'm think about ditching my GR-55 to go with an Ipad based set-up with Korg MI/TRiton set up, a mini moog and a prophet five, but need a way to switch between presets. I have a Roland EXDuo interface, the CC kit, Irig ProHD Irig MIDI and a pair of Blueboards. Considering a fishman TP too but I see this as a last resort. All monitoring will be coming from an Alto TS100 powered speaker(s). All my guitar stuff will be a traditional tube amp setup.

Any help on how to do this simply will be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

Headless68

Hi Matt - I'm using iPad live at the moment - similar gear to you, Im using the blueboard but I use the iPad screen for patch change (on a stand at the side of me) and use the board to switch effects on/off + an exp pedal within the current patch.
on the synth side I also run MG2 into soft synths and use AUM to mix the sounds on the iPad -
I normally have everything Im going to use running upfront (applications) to avoid drop outs live when something starts up. In AUM I just mute or fade down unused apps for the song I'm currently playing
its working well for me, the only issue I have had is software updates in bias fx - lesson learnt is to have a backup patch in Tonestack so I can use either if required. 

mdortona

Headless,
What is the MG2 and the AUM? Thanks!

Matt

mdortona

myksara

I have almost given up on going the ipad way eben after upgrading from an ipad air 16gb to an ipad air 2 128gb.
Bought the bias fx n so many other software for drums n looping.
Any of the app may just crash unexpectedly and i am left with no sound.
So i use my 16gb for my sheets in pdf and 128gb is lying around with just occasional use at home.
Bias fx has awesome tones but the ipad tp me is unreliable live and i go back to my old gr55
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Headless68

sorry for the previous acronyms - you just forget after a bit :-)

I started using iPad live & at band rehearsals just under a year ago - I have only had one time where I had an issue live & it didn't stop the show (iPad air2 128gb ) - BUT, I never go for software updates until they are tried & tested - a lesson I learnt the hard way before

Headless68

......one other must - power off wifi - power off iPad - power on iPad - don't restart wifi until after the gig
for some reason wifi seems to introduce pops & click artefacts into the iPads audio (for me at least) - its not enough to switch it off without the reboot, so it must be doing something in the background when its been on

Idgolfguy

Blueboard and PG BT4 at the same time.
Midibridge if routing is needed.