SY-300 - How does the SY stack up and for whom?

Started by Rhcole, February 27, 2017, 10:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

The thing that makes the SY spectacular for textures and ambient patches is the ability to have multiple dual-purpose modules, like reverb/chorus, echo/reverb etc. You can have FOUR of those in any order you want. In Ocean Machine terms that's like having 8 blocks compared to the OM's 3. AND, the Slow Gear is critical for eliminating the percussive attacks that can invade textural ambient patches. It doesn't look like the OM has that, which could be a deal killer for me.

That's before we even discuss the oscillators.

Now the OM has dual shimmers, which is terrific for creating icy patches. I know from Strymon's BigSky how much that adds. And it also adds a looper. Further, the OM is designed for live interaction.

And of course it's less than half the price of the SY.

I think having Devin Townsend as the demo artist and designer is the big feature.

Elantric

One thing - its Mooer, and many products are unobtainable  -

The Ocean Machine remains in R&D and not currently available anywhere  - despite the past 6 months of hype

tbeltrans

This is true.  I wonder if the delay is that Devin is still not quite getting what he wants or if the pedal is complex enough that being able to manufacture it on a large scale is still cost prohibitive at the price point Devin wants, or if there are other problems in manufacturing such as parts availability or too high a fallout rate. 

A part of the typical design process at places I have worked in engineering is design for manufacturability.  In other words, getting a few prototypes to work is one thing, but being able to make 10,000 of these things with an affordable consistency is quite another.  Devin is really asking for quite a bit, especially if Mooer has not previously made a pedal of this complexity.

Tony