GP-10 Boston more than a feeling

Started by Jimmyward, February 03, 2017, 09:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmyward

I'm trying to make a patch for more than a feeling. But having trouble with setup of the harmonizer. I've never had one and the options may as well be in a Greek.  :'(

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

GuitarBuilder

Try using the 12-string guitar model with chorus only (for the intro part).  Set the pre-delay to give you the amount of "doubling" you like.

For the overdriven guitar (and solos), you need the LP electric guitar model with rear pickup selected.  Tom's sound chain is as follows:

Guitar > Pre-EQ > Compressor > Distortion > EQ > Chorus > Echo

The critical EQ frequency is 500Hz, you need a dramatic cut there.  You can use the same chorus setting as for the acoustic.  The echo is tricky - a Rockman echo has dual delays.  His typical settings are 100ms and 150ms.

I'd start with MS 1959 I+II, but keep the treble settings low.  Tom uses minimal distortion; the compressor and EQ do all the hard work.  Keep the amp clean.  Experiment with the OD/DS FX instead.  The best chorus setting is Stereo2 with low rate and depth; keep it subtle.  Use DUAL-P delay and start with the settings mentioned above; it should be a fairly short echo with minimal feedback.  Tom does not use reverb.

Good luck!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

aliensporebomb

Remember the actual original Boston guitar sound was a Marshall driven with a MXR 6 band equalizer (in some cases 10 band) . 

This guy created a video explaining it (includes actual photo of Scholz's EQ unit setting):

Another video:

Take info from both videos to craft your sound!

Here's a french website http://rockman.fr/ where a guy has lots of info regarding the scholz rockmodules (I used to own a couple myself!)

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

jcifuentes