GP-10 send usb midi Cc to OSX from ctl pedal

Started by utensil, December 22, 2015, 10:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

utensil

Hey just got a gp 10 , I love the gr-55 but with the gp-10 and a MacBook I think It's the more versatile rig. What I want to do is use one of the ctl buttons on the gp10 to trigger my looper in main stage but I can't find any setting for this (if there is one).

This is possible with the gr55 ctl pedal as there is a system setting. Anyone have an idea

Redvers

I think it does spit out ctl signals for ctl 1 and 2 and also the expression pedal sends out info. You need to turn midi on in the system settings.

admin

Use BTS (Boss Tone Studio) to set the desired Control Assignment for the GP-10 pedals

vtgearhead

Are you sure that is managing outgoing MIDI messages?  I never interpreted assigns as operating in that manner.

Redvers

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 22, 2015, 11:00:59 AM
Use BTS (Boss Tone Studio) to set the desired Control Assignment for the GP-10 pedals

That's in order to use external control signals to control gp-10 assigns. The gp-10 also send s out control signals when you use ctl1 2 and expression. Maybe more, it sends out sysex info just for pressing the menu buttons etc, but not sure about ctl messages.

utensil

Thanks, Yes it does send a sysex message , I'm trying to use midi pipe to convert this to a midi message usable by MainStage such as note on

I think I'll have to use the midi pipe  apple script as the provided "message factory" can only distinguish the 1st 4 bytes of the sysex message which is common to lots of button presses on the GP-10.

sixeight

The sysex message will change if you have the Ctrl pedal assigned to a different parameter.

It is a pity the GP10 does not send cc messages like the GR55/VG99

Redvers

I'm pretty sure it does send them. I remember thinking it was only meant to act as a sustain pedal but actually all three pedals did something. I was listening for midi data in pure data.

utensil

Finally Got something workable in case anyone else is interested in using the GP 10's internal or external CTL 3 and 4 to trigger something in MainStage.

I still can't see a way to directly send CC from the GP-10 CTL pedals. Sysex messages are also only sent when a value changes. So the only way I can figure is to choose some parameter that you are not going to use in any patch and you don't want to change. I don't use the string pans so I chose those but maybe theres a better option.

so I set each CTL to momentarily change one of string pans to R2 (one step away) from center and then back on releasing the switch. I figure this should have minimal effect on the sound and is enough to send a Sysex unique to that assign. The sysex message is the same even if the patch changes as long as the assign is the same. Every patch would need this assign enabled (at least for me since I'm using it for looping control)

using midi pipe and the below apple script it works!. The script looks for the sysex message and generates a different note on for each message. Everything seems to work but have to test further

on runme(message)

--Look for F0 41 10 00 00 00 05 12  20 00 10 0B 33 12 F7 CTL 1

if (item 1 of message = 240) and (item 2 of message = 65) and (item 3 of message = 16) and (item 4 of message =0) and (item 5 of message =0) and (item 6 of message= 0) and (item 7 of message = 5) and (item 8 of message =18) and (item 9 of message=32) and (item 10 of message =0) and (item 11 of message =16) and (item 12 of message = 11) and (item 13 of message = 51) and (item 14 of message = 18) and (item 15 of message = 247) then
set message to {146, 20,125}
end if

--Look for F0 41 10 00 00 00 05 12  20 00 10 0C 33 11 F7 CTL 2

if (item 1 of message = 240) and (item 2 of message = 65) and (item 3 of message = 16) and (item 4 of message =0) and (item 5 of message =0) and (item 6 of message= 0) and (item 7 of message = 5) and (item 8 of message =18) and (item 9 of message=32) and (item 10 of message =0) and (item 11 of message =16) and (item 12 of message = 12) and (item 13 of message = 51) and (item 14 of message = 17) and (item 15 of message = 247) then
set message to {146, 21,125}
end if
return message
end runme

gptenner

@utensil please help!

I'm trying to achieve a similar thing - send CCs to Ableton using the GP-10.

I copied your exact settings in one patch in BTS, wrote the patch to the pedal, and my MIDI Monitor app tells me that pressing the CTL 1 switch is creates a F0 41 10 00 00 00 05 12  20 00 10 0B 33 12 F7 sysex message which exactly matches yours.

In MidiPipe I've added an 'AppleScript Trigger' and copy-pasted your code. I've saved the pipe just in case it's necessary.

What do I do next? MIDI Monitor shows no output from anywhere. Ableton shows no MIDI input. Did you add another pipe after the 'AppleScript Trigger' to convert anything? I've tried it with and without a 'MIDI Out' pipe but no dice.

Resurrecting an old thread here but needs must! Can anyone help?!

PS. MIDI Monitor reveals that there is one (only one!) control on the GP-10 that spits out MIDI CC messages - the expression pedal sends out CC#11 (plus sysex). Why there isn't CC implementation for any other controls I'll never know...