Swopper Guitar Stool - ( used by Adrian Belew)

Started by admin, July 20, 2015, 11:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBach

I got a swopper with casters that I'm using on a hardwood floor. The chair acts the opposite as it should, in that the casters lock with no load and roll while sitting. This makes it possible for the chair to roll out from under you. The chair is a lot of fun to bounce up and down with the music, but you better be perfectly centered. It takes some getting used to. I don't think I've used it enough to verify the health benefits. I'm often tempted to use a more conventional chair or just stand up.

Elantric

I got the "poor mans" version here:

Learniture LNT-RIA3052BK-SO Adjustable-Height Active Learning Stool, Black @ $109
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GVVQNL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMHO it provides 80% of the genuine Swopper experience  -maybe better since it is more immune to "pogo  oscillation" 

But this stool works better than an office chair with no legs - specifically because it provides a smaller floor footprint, and its very sturdy - less back pain!

its the perfect studio guitar stool  - but a bit heavy at 25 pounds but thats a good thing, as it tilts but never feels like it will slip out under you.

go to 1:40 minutes here

BBach

I had my computer keyboard in a fixed position jutting out from under my keyboard controller and my guitar processors on a stand about 5 ft opposite the keyboard. When using a conventional chair, my knees fit underneath like a keyhole desk. With the Swopper, you bounce up and down, which precludes having your knees constrained so I had to move further away from the keyboard. This inturn lead to a claustrophobic situation by backing in to the guitar stuff. Yesterday I removed the qwerty keyboard and just layed it on top of the keyboard controller. The extra eight inches makes all the difference and I'm enjoying the chair a lot more. I'm thinking of getting a small indoor/outdoor area carpet so that the casters work as intended.

Brak(E)man

Maybe I have the mind of a 4 Y old but
the name of this device makes me think
that everything you play turns into crap
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

frummox

Why would someone not want some back support while playing in a sitting position? (.i.e. a classical guitarist). I tend to playi sitting in front of my computer table reading music (sorta) off of the monitor. My standard computer high back chair has arms which make it impossible to hold an instrument. Finally got an armless office chair for this purpose although its one more chair than I wanted in the living room.

Elantric

Learniture LNT-RIA3052BK-SO Adjustable-Height Active Learning Stool

https://www.amazon.com/Learniture-LNT-RIA3052BK-SO-Adjustable-Height-Active-Learning/dp/B01GVVQNL6/ref=pd_sbs_196_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HWA0S2N85GXDCSGMDFM6

This stool above is proving to be very comfortable for playing guitar while tracking in the studio for lengthy sessions.

and cheap compared to the Swopper

Guitarpickzone

I've spent a lot of time reviewing guitar stools over the last while and I have yet to see such crazy cool stools such as this! Would love to give it a try and review it someday  8)

chrish

Quote "Why would someone not want some back support while playing in a sitting position? (.i.e. a classical guitarist)."

Because according to my physical therapist, sitting in a chair requires correct posture in order to avoid the eventualities of back pain.

Very often using a chair back places you in in correct posture form.

My PT recommends that I maintain an arch in my back, don't use the backrest and have my feet firmly planted on the floor as if they're preventing me from falling forward out of the chair.