GP-10 - 3-way switch problem on GK-3

Started by stevesilk51, February 14, 2015, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redvers

The GK vol on the guitar. Currently it's a master patch volume control that effects all patches in real-time. Given that I'm doing my first show with it tomorrow this is probably useful. If I assign the gk vol dial to do exactly the same thing but on a per patch basis would it act any differently?

Elantric

beatpete

Quote from: Redvers on April 23, 2015, 03:13:00 PM
The GK vol on the guitar. Currently it's a master patch volume control that effects all patches in real-time. Given that I'm doing my first show with it tomorrow this is probably useful. If I assign the gk vol dial to do exactly the same thing but on a per patch basis would it act any differently?

As far as I can gather, setting the GK Vol to anything other than "modeling volume" (or "mixer balance") renders the normal guitar sound inoperable. In my mind, this makes the GK Volume, which could be a VERY useful controller, useless (except for controlling modeling volume) when you want to use both modeled sound AND normal guitar.

beatpete

OK, I figured out a convoluted way of using BOTH normal guitar AND modeling AND have a programmable GK Volume. Assign (using one of the 8 "assigns") the GK Volume for what you need it to do (i.e. "amp gain"). Set the three way pickup selector to the middle position (this technique renders the 3 position switch inoperable but I'd much rather have a programmable GK Volume). Now set another "assign"  to control "mixer balance" from one of your GK switches. Now the GK switch can switch between normal guitar and modeling and your GK Volume can be whatever you need.

darkphader

Just to add to this discussion. I picked up a used RR Strat recently then purchased a GP-10. All seemed fine until one day the regular guitar sound was gone when using the 13-pin cable, no issues if I used the normal guitar output. Turned out to be a dirty contact in the guitar output jack - there's a make/break switch in there that stops the pickup signal from going to the 13 pin cable when a regular guitar cable is plugged in. Cleaning the contacts on that switch resolved the problem.

Elantric

Quoteust to add to this discussion. I picked up a used RR Strat recently then purchased a GP-10. All seemed fine until one day the regular guitar sound was gone when using the 13-pin cable, no issues if I used the normal guitar output. Turned out to be a dirty contact in the guitar output jack - there's a make/break switch in there that stops the pickup signal from going to the 13 pin cable when a regular guitar cable is plugged in. Cleaning the contacts on that switch resolved the problem.

Common Problem

the Fender GC-1 Strat 1/4" Guitar Output uses the same 1/4" Switchcraft Switching TS Jack Fender part # as a 1967 Fender Twin Reverb Switchcraft Input jack 

- detailed here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10563.0

Elantric

Next time you are debugging "why can't I hear my Normal PU's in my VG-99 / GR-55 / Gp-10 using one 13 pin cable   - be sure nothing is connected to the 1/4" outputs jacks

Just wanted to point out that Godin LGXSA and xtSA 1/4" Output jacks feature the similar circuit as the Fender Roland Ready / GC-1 Strat below.

the Fender Roland Ready Strat / Roland GC-1 Strat's 1/4" output jack is a unique switching jack - The goal is to have a "stock Strat" when using the 1/4" output jack  - so anytime you insert a 1/4" plug into the GC-1's 1/4" "Normal PU Output"  jack  - this isolates removes the normal passive Strat Electronics signal output from entering into the GK Internal active buffer (which might load down the passive PU's and reduce high frequencies) and removes the ability to send normal mag PU tone down Pin #7 of the 13 pin Cable

guitarnstuff

Hello All
I've been playing a VG99 and GP10 for years with the same guitar equipped with an internal GK kit. Everything worked as intended. However, recently I've been doing some modification of my rig (GP10, HELIX, Apple Mainstage) as well as downloading some new patches from the forum for the GP10. Now I have a new annoying problem with my GK switch behavior. I am hoping someone can point me to a quick fix before doing a factory reset of the GP10.

The problem...
If I am using EITHER a modeled sound in the "GK" position or a sound on sent to my Helix in the "guitar" position, every works as planned until the patch is switched. So, for example, if I have the switch in the "Guitar" position it works as intended (Has guitar sound on Helix and no modeled sound from GP10), BUT when I switch the patch, the sound will be modeled PLUS guitar (when it should only be guitar because the GK switch has not moved away from "guitar"). If I then flip the switch back and forth it corrects to just "guitar". However, that is not the ideal for making quick and seemless patch transitions during a gig.

Any ideas?

Elantric

QuoteIf I am using EITHER a modeled sound in the "GK" position or a sound on sent to my Helix in the "guitar" position, every works as planned until the patch is switched. So, for example, if I have the switch in the "Guitar" position it works as intended (Has guitar sound on Helix and no modeled sound from GP10), BUT when I switch the patch, the sound will be modeled PLUS guitar (when it should only be guitar because the GK switch has not moved away from "guitar"). If I then flip the switch back and forth it corrects to just "guitar". However, that is not the ideal for making quick and seemless patch transitions during a gig.

Any ideas?

This occurs anytime you remap the "GK-VOL" to control another function - its a known bug with all GK 13 pin processors

read

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2246.0

Just know that the Roland GK interface design is flawed.

The GK-3 Three way switch and Roland US-20 A/B/Y Selector  / routers ALL rely on the GK-3 "GK-VOL" pot to be assigned to Patch Volume

If you deviate and get creative, and re-assign GK-VOL to control something other than PATCH VOLUME - that's when bugs manifest.

I always put on suitable background music to sing along when creating Control Assignments  - like

The Clash "Know Your Rights"

but I change the lyrics to suit the operation I'm doing:

"You have the Right to Re-assign the GK-VOL pot,  - as long as you're not Dumb enough to actually try it."

Redvers

Yeah it's a gk vol issue. If you haven't remapped it then maybe it's an issue with the 'assign hold' being off in system settings?

Elantric

QuoteYeah it's a gk vol issue. If you haven't remapped it then maybe it's an issue with the 'assign hold' being off in system settings?

Agreed- and I know these "suggested solutions" might appear to be left field  / not applicable - but indeed you have to review your "GK-VOL" assignment 

guitarnstuff

Thanks all. Somehow I had changed the GK Volume setting at the system level. Changed a few things around and I'm back in the saddle again. Yehah!