Review: Peterson VSS-C Stomp Classic Strobotuner Pedal Tuner

Started by lespauled, February 13, 2015, 11:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

Title  : Peterson VSS-C Stomp Classic Strobotuner Pedal Tuner - Now we're talking
http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-VSS-C-Strobo-Series-Classic/dp/B004GWQM1Y/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

Blurb:  I lost my strobe tuner when Hurricane Sandy created a tidal wave that basically flooded the North-East corridor of the U.S.  So after trying to do setups on a couple of new guitars, I knew that I needed another strobe tuner.  There is nothing like a Peterson.  Very reliable. 

I got this tuner after the misfortune of buying the StroboPlus HD first.  So, there will be some comparisons to that unit in this review.   ( see StroboPlus HD review here: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13629.0 )

This thing is built like a brick s-house, unlike the StroboPlus HD.  It actually weighs about as much as a standard brick.  It is a very solid pedal.  I has a thick rubber bottom on it for using it on a table or desk.  It also has 2 options for being placed on your pedalboard.  The unit comes with 4 metal feet that allow you to screw that pedal into your board.  If you're not that extreme, like me, there is also an option to remove the rubber bottom easily by removing the 4 screws that keep it in place.  Then you do what you do with all you other pedals, throw some industrial strength Velcro on the back and place it on your board.

The unit has "Sweetened Tunings" for various instruments and tunings.  Apparently, they are supposed to make the instrument sound "sweeter", but my ears couldn't notice a difference.  But I do keep the unit on the "Sweetened Guitar" setting, I could use the help :)

The unit has a micro usb jack, where you can connect it to your computer and run their software for pretty frequent firmware updates. That's a nice feature.  I guess it's a great business move.  Even if they just update the version number, it makes you feel good that they are doing something for you :)

Reliability & Durability :  Did I mention that this thing is a tank.  As long as another tidal surge doesn't wipe it out, I think it will be the last tuner I will ever have to buy.

Customer Support :  Customer support seems to be pretty good.  In my case, I'm not talking about calling them with any issues.  I'm talking about the multiple firmware updates.

Liked about it : The standard Peterson strobe tuning that we've become accustomed to over the years.  Frequent firmware updates.

Didn't like :  I can honestly say that I haven't run into any negatives yet with this unit.  It does everything that we've come to expect from Peterson tuners.

Overall rating: 10/10  - This thing is everything the StroboPlus HD was not.