Live gig in a virtual world - (Earn money in Second Life)

Started by Tukso, January 26, 2015, 01:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vade

hehe, the day The VGuitar Band decided on it's look hook!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

QuoteI have no idea whether this is true or not, but I once heard that Chris Isaak was the oldest man to "make it big" in the pop/rock scene, at age 28. :)

Love him or hate him - Christopher Cross is actually a very good guitar player and was in his 30's when he hit it big

Vade

I think I'll get to work on my 2nd life avatar in the style of the VGuitar band and then set about getting a 3D copy printed out. Fortunately I'm just 18. I wear my outfit full time for personal artistic reasons only...
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

Tukso

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 29, 2015, 09:36:36 AM
I agree - pretty neat idea.  I like that, especially for original artists, you can expand your potential fan base well beyond your local town to a global audience if you don't want to tour. 

I think this is true in real life too - people will tune out and engage in other conversations, etc. if you don't capture their attention.  The difference is they may stay at the real life venue, and you may get one or more second chances.  Thanks for sharing your experiences, Tusko, and continue posting your show schedule from time to time, eh?  I'll try to set up a SecondLife account and check out your show sometime.  Perhaps my avatar will be a gorgeous, slender, bikini-clad woman, so that I don't stick out too much in the virtual crowd. ;)

One other question - do you play to a backing track, or do you have other musicians in the room with you - e.g. are you mixing multiple instruments in real-time for a v-show?

I don't use backing tracks (or saved loops on my Boss RC 300) because I don't like the confines of a pre-arranged framework of recorded songs that I would have to adhere to. I like how music can be organic and can flow with your mind bod and spirit like "living" art. If I attempted to do 600-800 concerts of pre-built songs, I personally would get bored with being a performer and probably not an artist.

I like arriving at a venue, real life/second life, and having a completely clean slate to work with. The audience seems to like the spontaneity and seem to enjoy the "where are we headed today" aspect of my concerts. And I like the freedom of not being pinned down by an audience with preconceived ideas or expectations.

Tukso

Quote from: Vade on January 29, 2015, 09:04:01 AM
Thanks for the links Tukso. It looks like a lot of fun and I think it's great that you figured out a way to make play pay. It'll be interesting to see how virtual realities like this work out when integrated with Occulus Rift and the HoloLens I linked above. See you on the HoloDeck!

The new versions of Second Life viewers (many ways to log into SL) are Occulus Rift ready.

Vade

Good news that, so now we just have to wait for Occulus Rift to finish cooking and we'll be good to go. Perhaps down the road we'll get HoloLens venues filled with a mix of avatars and live patrons. It could be fun to do a Tango with some of those 2nd lifers!

Tukso

Quote from: Vade on January 29, 2015, 09:46:03 AM
It might have effects on age bias in other ways as well. I've no hard data on this, but I have this notion that it's much easier to become a successful musician if you connect with your age cohort while young. There are lots of successful young bands playing to young audiences but the musicians have very little skill compared to seasoned veterans. Hard to say what effect a virtual world might have if my surmise is correct.

I'm with SuperNiCd as regards his comments and questions as well.
Bro, age is part of my demographics and something I count on. One of the first things I realized after the free sign up on Second Life was that the sign up is free but everything else (clothes, housing, skins& hair, fun, etc.) cost money. It is not like the Sims game where goal oriented gameplay is objective, it is more of a microcosm of real life... where things cost money and your objectives are achievable because you can afford the overhead of what you set out to do.

With that basic truth in hand, I realized that to be an active participant in SL you must have money, and that money is disposable.... you will not see people who are NOT middle class or above middle-class in SL because they cannot afford DISPOSABLE income lifestyles. In 8 years, I can count on 1 hand the amount of avatars I met who were 20 years old or less. If you cannot afford RL stuff, you cannot afford SL stuff. And without resource, Second Life is very boring after 2 weeks of trying to do anything fun to a 20 year old with no disposable income.

donlizard

Hi,

Very cool! I used to gig in SL all the time. A lot of fun and great people to talk to after.
I kinda miss doing the gigs there, maybe I should start again.
I am Donlizard Hunt

Thanks,
Don
Godin xTSA
GC1 - Strat
G&L F-100 with GK3
GT-100
GR-55
Roland/Edirol SD-80 Studio Sound Canvas
Roland KC-500 x2 (Running in stereo)
and waaaay too much other stuff.

chrish

Quote from: Tukso on January 29, 2015, 07:51:14 AM
Bro for me weed isn't a creativity booster, it's more of a bio-system regulator. It allows me to control my adrenalin flow and and not have anticipation, it gives my mind room to travel yet be focused. Also, I use very strong SATIVA strains for my performances, so no couch lock or "softball" affectations. The creativity is either there or not, and weed does nothing to change that. It's what you bring to the table already, way before you smoke weed, if your in chaos before you smoke, you will only achieve chaos in a stoned state. Peace bro~
this whole virtual scene is totally new to me.

But I do know that humans have evolved to have a beneficial symbiotic relationship with cannabis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor

"Cannabinoid receptors, located throughout the body, are part of the endocannabinoid system, which is involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, and memory.[1]"