Why Roland, why.

Started by joo1, October 06, 2014, 09:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now_And_Then

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 06, 2014, 07:52:19 PMI'm guessing none of the artists except Reid really 'got it' - even Belew didn't go as far as he could have.   

Well, there is also the possibility that none of the artists really wanted their music to be completely determined by a single piece of technology and opted out of the VG when they felt the need to go in a different direction. So it's not really about "getting it" unless we consider that maybe they did "get it" but decided that they didn't like it as much as they once did.

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 06, 2014, 07:52:19 PMI believe Fripp stuck with it because the majority of his programming efforts were done on the VG-8.  I believe he never got that far into the VG-99.

I can sympathize! Each of two succeeding generations (three if you count the GP-10) of VG's have progressively lost "sound-designer" features which to me were very intriguing, to the point where the GP-10 might be best described as a guitar-&-amp emulator solely designed to replace a variety of common guitars and amps, whereas the VG-8 (and S1 and EX) were more for the "create an instrument that no one has ever heard before" crowd.

It's kind of a pity, really.

clearlight

I've always thought they should "open up" the whole architecture and let people really take the virtual stuff more outside.
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

Elantric

QuoteI've always thought they should "open up" the whole architecture and let people really take the virtual stuff more outside.

That would be like giving away the keys to the castle.

Roland's 1980's Sound Canvas PCM Instrument Library samples became the basis for the first soft Instruments in both Windows PCs and Macs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Corporation

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38543?viewlocale=en_US

QuoteAbout Roland's Sound Set for General MIDI and GS Format
This release of (Apple) QuickTime includes an instrument sound set licensed from Roland Corporation that makes a complete General MIDI compatible sound set. It also includes additional sounds necessary to make a complete GS Format compatible sound set.

What is the GS Format?
The GS Format is a standardized set of specifications for sound sources that defines the manner in which multitimbral sound generating devices will respond to the MIDI messages. The GS Format also complies with the General MIDI System Level - 1. The GS Format also defines a number of other details over and above the features of General MIDI. These include unique specifications for sound and functions available for tone editing, effects, and other specifications concerning the manner in which sound sources will respond to MIDI messages. Any device that is equipped with GS Format sound sources can faithfully reproduce both General MIDI sound recordings and GS Format MIDI sound recordings.

How to contact Roland:

Roland Corporation
4-16, Dojimahama 1-chome,
Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0004, Japan

But they did not handle the licensing too well, and competing similar technology over time trumped that technology.
So they fear loosing too much intellectual property if they create a "VG Plugin"  - due to piracy.
Tying the tech to tangible hardware unit sales insures they can keep track of the profits.

But Id love to see a "Roland hex VG VSTi " with COSM Processing plugin today - Some one else will eventually.   

I've always been amazed that Roland Corp has not filed suit with Line-6, as the 2003 Line-6 Variax basically ripped off the 1995 Roland VG-8 Guitar Modeling concept. 

Now that Yamaha owns Line-6, I bet they settled legal matters with Roland over a nice Sushi meal 

If its open source you seek - look here:

Pure Data for hex guitars
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4222.0

clearlight

Definitely interested in that :)
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-