Fender / Squier Bass VI

Started by gumtown, January 05, 2014, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

I have seen the Fender bass vi and it has perked my interest, basically a guitar sized bass tuned one octave below a guitar and one octave above a bass.
I will be interested to know which mode on the GR-55 works best with it, bass mode or guitar mode.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteI have seen the Fender bass vi and it has perked my interest, basically a guitar sized bass tuned one octave below a guitar
I will be interested to know which mode on the GR-55 works best with it, bass mode or guitar mode.
Yes - The new Squire Bass VI is on my radar too

Heres George playing one

and John

Elantric

Quoteit seems bec the best sound comes from it is placed right in front of the humbucker.

Must be a recent Pawnshop Bass VI?

post a pic?
VGuitar Forums > VGuitar Central > Forum / Web Site Help / FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=23.0

rKidKelly

exactly the guitar indeed ;D...what got me interested in it was the 1961 on the wall of the local vintage store for 9000 bukz...I got mine for 640 USD plus tax. not exactly the same guitar but gave me the idea that I liked it more for the price.

it actually sounds better.imagine that...when you have an old vintage guitar they are what they are if you want them to keep their value. Sometimes they arent great players just survivors.

Elantric

gumtown

Envious !!  8)
Oly White would be my fav choice too.
I expect a detailed review on that one.  ;)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Re: Squier  Bass VI

I just got notice mine shipped, should be here this weekend.

Elantric

To resurrect this old thread - I did get my Squier Bass VI - its great right out of the box, as a guitar player it inspires lots of new sonic territory. 

gumtown

Have you slapped on a GK pickup yet?
would a GK2A/3 fit?

Any thoughts on the Squier would be appreciated.

I'm looking at getting one shipped over, none of my local stores have even heard of one.

DeRigueur

Quote from: gumtown on January 05, 2014, 07:32:56 PM
I have seen the Fender bass vi and it has perked my interest, basically a guitar sized bass tuned one octave below a guitar and one octave above a bass.
Isn't a bass one octave below a guitar?
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Elantric

QuoteIsn't a bass one octave below a guitar?

Correct

The Bass VI is tuned one octave below guitar , bottom 4 string are same pitch as a Bass 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_guitar
QuoteThe bass guitar is similar in appearance and construction to an electric guitar, but with a longer neck and scale length, and four to six strings or courses. The four-string bass—by far the most common—is usually tuned the same as the double bass,[5] which corresponds to pitches one octave lower than the four lowest pitched strings of a guitar (E, A, D, and G).[6] The bass guitar is a transposing instrument, as it is notated in bass clef an octave higher than it sounds (as is the double bass) to avoid excessive ledger lines.

Quotewould a GK2A/3 fit?
Squier Bass VI uses a stock Fender JazzMaster Guitar  Bridge which is rather wide spacing, but a GK-3 can be installed.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8612.msg61762#msg61762

Guitar "E" to "e" String Spacing at Bridge

Fender Jaguar / Jazzmaster / Mustang = 2.1875 inches (55.56mm)

The Squier Bass VI Neck has a  Bound Fingerboard is really upscale and Fret job is great

All the recent Fender / Squier instruments  are a fantastic value IMHO. I find I play my J Mascis Jazzmaster quite a lot - and most folks assume its a genuine 1962 Fender 
http://www.fender.com/squier/series/artist/squier-j-mascis-jazzmaster-rosewood-fingerboard-vintage-white/

mojo thorne

Nice to see this post as I have been seriously considering getting the J Mascis Jazzmaster for a while now.  All of the reviews have been really good, but I wish there was someplace that I could try one out.  It's been a long time since I've held a jazzmaster, and that one seems to have all of the features that I would want at a price that won't require selling a kidney.

I used to be weary of Squier, but it seems like they've upped their game recently with some of the "vintage" models, or at least, that seems to be the consensus from a lot of the reviews.  It's like they're taking the fender model of having a premium line that you can purchase from pro-retailers and then the budget line that they sell in Best Buy and Walmart.

I wasn't aware that they were also producing a Bass VI, and I must admit that I like the look of the sunburst finish quite a bit.  :o   I have some questions about that one:

After a proper setup, did you experience any of the problems with buzz and intonation that seem to be reported all over with this one?  I've read many comments saying that it would benefit from a slightly larger gauge set of strings in order to combat the buzz on the low E.  More importantly, how does it sound, and what amps have you played it through?

Elantric

Re my Squier Bass VI - I pre-ordered mine from AMS early January 2014  (ordered by phone for $315 with free shipping)

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0305600-LIST

It shipped Late February 2014 , and i was amazed at the perfect setup right out of the box.

Realize I play Surf guitar and own 7 guitars with Jazzmaster style Floating tremolos - so I know how to set the pivoting bridge so it tilts  a bit towards the tailpiece at rest. No buzzes on mine.

The J Mascis Jazzmaster is a beauty. 
Several message boards mention the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster as a low budget sleeper guitar with great features  - has subtle factory mods like Dunlop 6100 jumbo Frets, Gibson style T-O-M Bridge. Under the PU covers are Seymour Duncan designed P90s (see the pole adjust screws which normal Jazzmasters lack)  I love the tighter Gibson Bridge string spacing, makes faster / shorter distance when cross-picking

My only complaint would be the 9.5" Fretboard Radius  - since this guitar uses a Gibson style Tuno-o matic that has a fixed 12" radius  - this results in high E strings fretting out during extreme string bending during blues solos. I might swap the neck for a compound radius Neck.

mojo thorne

Thanks for the info... now I must choose!  I think that I would play the jazzmaster more, simply because it will be a more familiar playing experience.  But the caveat with the Bass VI is that I would use it in applications that I can use my other guitars for without using guitar/bass modeling.

Still curious what amps you have found to work best with the Bass VI.  I realize it's all subjective, but am interested in what has sounded best to your ears.

Elantric

QuoteStill curious what amps you have found to work best with the Bass VI.  I realize it's all subjective, but am interested in what has sounded best to your ears.

Since the Squier Bass VI is same Frequency range as a real Bass  - it works best with a Bass Amp. If you use a Guitar Amp it tends to flub up typical Electric  Guitar speakers which cant handle Bass - Borrow an Electric Bass and plug into a Guitar Amp for a taste of what i mean. Most Guitar Amps are not designed for this application.

The Fender/Squier Bass VI is a real mind blower - and very inspiring  / useful studio tool. Mine has a perfect neck  - no buzzes and working tremolo that stays in tune. I always wanted one. Back in 1997 I nearly purchased a 1992 MIJ Fender Bass VI reissue from my old friend Taras Prodaniuk that he used on a few Dwight Yokum  / Pete Anderson records - but that was going to cost several times the price of the Squier Bass VI !

http://www.spencer-davis-group.com/BioProdaniuk.shtml

mojo thorne

Quote from: Elantric on May 15, 2014, 02:00:21 PM
Re my Squier Bass VI - I pre-ordered mine from AMS early January 2014  (order by phone for $315 with free shipping)

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0305600-LIST

Was that a special promotional price?  I don't see anything on their website to promote a price other than $349.  That's still quite cheap, but $25 pays for a hanger to put it on or some extra strings!

Elantric

As I Said  -Most dealers will negotiate a lower than advertised price for you - but only if you pick up the phone and call them directly and you are ready to place your order.

Quote (order by phone for $315 with free shipping)

gumtown

Just did an impulsive eBay buy-now on a Squier Vintage Modified Bass vi

I now have enough GK pickup bits to make something fit into one of these monsters.
A GK-3B body/electronics stripped down for an internal install, paired with the narrow string spacing of a GK-3 pickup (also have GK-2A as well).
Will try to squeeze an extra knob (GK-Vol) and mini toggle (S1/S2) into the existing knob plate, I don't need the GK-Select switch, it's always in the mix position for my use.
Another option is to do away with the tone control (I never use the tone either) and use that for the GK-Vol.

Originally wanted an Olympic White model to match my Jazz bass,
but decided on the 3 tone instead, as I don't have one currently in my collection, and they seem a bit retro now and growing on me,
I never liked 3 tone back in another time, seemed so ordinary and the few I had got painted.

Here is an indication of what it is

At least it's in the price range where I won't cry over modifying a new instrument, especially if something goes wrong.

Watch this space for more...

cell7

A friend of mine has this exact model, for the price they are unbelievable. Cant go wrong.

mrowley

Wow....I just looked at
That thing's got a nice toothy sound for a bass and the 6-string setup makes it ideal for the hex synth pickup modification.
That should work a real treat....Keep us posted!
I might get one of these myself for recording.

Elantric

mojo thorne

Got my Squier Bass VI on Wednesday.  I've been wrecked ever since from staying up late playing it.  As Elantric noted, my favorite vendor cut me a sweet deal at $300.  I am really very impressed with the fit and finish, as well as the sound. 

The only parts that point to a "cheap" instrument are the plastic volume & tone knobs and the nut.  I will replace the nut at some point, but I am in no rush as it arrived with a pretty good setup already done and sounds great (no buzz even on held notes after aggressive attack).  Sounds great through all of the Ampeg and Orange bass amps in Amplitube, and I've even played it through a couple of my guitar amps with the "strangle" switch engaged and it sounds pretty sweet.  It takes fuzz really well, but when played clean, it is dead silent against mild gain on all of the amps I tried.

The J Mascis JM is still on my list, but will have to wait a few more paydays.  I've heard varying reviews of the most recent builds versus the first ones released, but after receiving the Bass VI, I'm a lot less hesitant to go with a squier.  The components and build quality seem on par or slightly better than the Mexican Fenders.

Elantric

QuoteThe only parts that point to a "cheap" instrument are the plastic volume & tone knobs

Yet these are very similar to the original knobs - same  Black plastic volume & tone knobs are used on a mid 1960's Fender Jazz Bass and original 1965 Fender Bass VI.

Happy to hear you are enjoying your new instrument!

I find it opens up many doors for harmonic exploration  - although if you already have a regular bass player, if you play this at the gig, it might ruffle feathers ;)

gumtown

While I wait for my bass vi delivery, I am sorting out my collection of GK parts

Here are 3 candidates a GK-2A, GK-3, and a GK-3B body with an internal GK-3 pickup.

Here are the differences in the GK pickups, the GK2A has just the edges of the pole pieces showing, and narrow string spacing and no curvature adjustment.
The GK-3 pickup in the middle has the cable from the side, and the GK-3 kit pickup (bottom) has the cable from the underside.
A regular GK-3 pickup can have the cable removed from the side and soldered to the pickup for bottom entry.

This is what I will initially use, a GK-3B (bass model) body and clamp mounting kit, with the GK-3 (guitar) pickup for the correct string spacing.

gumtown

Argh !! The waiting is a killer,
watching the FedEx tracking each day (about 6 times a day actually) for it to travel half way around the globe,
nearly a week latter it's made it from FL to KY,
now sitting in transit waiting for the US customs and documentation.
EDIT: Now sent to international shipping   :D

I can research/procrastinate for ages on buying something, but once I decide to get it, I WANT IT NOW !!  :P