Vox Starstream DSP Modeling Guitar

Started by Elantric, January 15, 2016, 08:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Vox Starstream DSP Modeling Guitar

http://www.voxamps.com/StarstreamType1

Created to provide a wide range of sounds including electric guitar, acoustic guitar, synths and other stringed instruments, the VOX Starstream Type-1 is the ultimate instrument for players looking to redefine the electric guitar and what it can do. Whether you are playing with a band, in the studio or practicing silently at night with headphones, the Starstream Type-1 offers exciting new possibilities.

Incorporating the AREOS-D system, the Starstream Type-1 is the latest evolution in onboard guitar electronics, furthering VOX's reputation of breaking the boundaries when it comes to advanced guitar electronics.  Putting control over your sound at your fingertips, the system integrates several essential elements:

* magnetic pickups for authentic and classic electric guitar sounds;

*  a piezo pickup system for rich-sounding traditional and acoustic instruments;

* a powerful DSP engine;

* familiar volume, tone and pickup selector controls

* and a Control Module that provides instant access to important tone-shaping parameters.

The unique frame construction is three dimensionally contoured for maximum comfort, easily conforming to your personal style. Equipped with a smoothly shaped neck, unlimited upper fret access, warm-toned resonant wood body, specially voiced magnetic pickups and a balanced, easy to use tremolo system; this is the ultimate modern guitar.

Exclusively developed AREOS-D system uses the guitar's traditional magnetic pickups to create the electric guitar sounds for greater realism and accuracy.

Nine banks of instruments, with three variations in each, plus two user banks to store up to six favorite sounds.

Synth sounds track effortlessly and respond dynamically to touch, pick attack and vibrato.

Simple, intuitive volume, tone and three-way switch make changing models and sounds quick and easy.

1/4" output for live performance or recording and 1/8" output for use with headphones for private listening and practice.

Sculpted mango body; 22 fret maple neck with rosewood fingerboard; 2 x XLM humbucking pickups; 2-point fulcrum vibrato; sealed die cast tuning machines.
Available Color Options:
Starstream Type-1 Black
Starstream Type-1 Red
Starstream Type-1 Frame Black
Starstream Type-1 Frame White
Starstream Type-1 Frame Red

--
*1 For the SITAR, use the TONE knob to adjust the level of the sympathetic strings.

*2 For the SYNTH and BASS SYNTH, unintended sounds may occur if you play chords. In general, you should play only single notes.

*3 For the SUSTAIN, the notes you play are sustained, producing an organ-like sound. To stop the sustain, either play staccato or mute the string.

*4 The effects for user programs will differ depending on the sound.

Onboard System:
AREOS-D System, incorporating the Control Module, Magnetic Pickups, Piezo Pickup, Volume, Tone and Pickup Selector Switch

Body:
Mango

Neck:
Maple

Fingerboard:
Rosewood

Neck:
Fingerboard Radius: 310mm, Neck Shape: "C" Shape, Scale Length: 25 1/8" (638 mm), Number of Frets: 22, Fret Size: Medium jumbo, Nut Width: 43 mm

Pickups:
VOX XLM x 2, Piezo Pickup in each Saddle

Bridge:
2 Post Tremolo

Controls:
3 position model switch, Group selector, VOLUME knob, TONE knob, DRIVE/REVERB knob, POWER button and LED, FX (effect) /CANCEL button and LED, WRITE button and LED

Number of Sounds:
27 (9 banks x 3)

User Programs:
6 (2 banks x 3)

Outputs:
Guitar output jack (1/4" phone type), Headphone jack (1/8" phone type)

Power:
Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4, or Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 4

Expected Battery Life under Continuous Use:
Alkaline battery: 11 hours, Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: 15 hours * These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.

Color Options:
Starstream Type-1 Black (VSS-1-BK/Black Frame with Semi-Gloss Black body), Starstream Type-1 Red (VSS-1-RD/Black Frame with Semi-Gloss Red body), Starstream Type-1 Frame Black (VSS-1-FBK Metallic Black Frame with See-Through Semi-Gloss Black body), Starstream Type-1 Frame White (VSS-1-FWH/Metallic White Frame with See-Through Semi-Gloss Black body), Starstream Type-1 Frame Red  (VSS-1-FRD/Metallic Red Frame with See-Through Semi-Gloss Black body)

Accessories:
Tremolo Arm, Adjustment wrench, Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4 (for checking the instrument purpose only), Gig bag

Elantric

Confirmed, No alt turnings

And synth is mono, I doubt they are even using a hex PU.

It's a Korg DSP Design ( like all Vox gear)

From my perspective the Vox guitar is using similar PU Modeling tech introduced in JamVox , but now in an onboard DSP.

The guitar shape reminds me of a cross between

a Tueffel
http://www.teuffel.com

and a Dave Mason RKS Guitar

http://www.rksdesign.com/rksguitar/

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on January 15, 2016, 08:23:58 AM
The guitar shape reminds me of a cross between a Tueffel and a Dave Mason RKS Guitar
http://www.teuffel.com

Except not nearly as beautiful as a Teuffel! 

First things that came to mind for me were the Yamaha Silent line, and Parker, but again not as elegant.

Elantric

No USB, No Editor, No Alt Tuning, No String Splits.

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on January 15, 2016, 09:50:02 AM

...No Way.  :)

I think I read MSRP £795.  Not sure what that means for US street price, but it's going to have to be quite low to shift any units.  Onboard effects will probably be entry level - I assume they're targeting student players and hobbyists with this.

Elantric

I'm sure some may like it - but to me this seems like the 2007 Fender VG Strat would be considered an upgrade to the Vox Starstream

polaris20

Sounds awful, the 12-string in particular.

vanceg

Yeah - It's not as forward looking as I'd like.  I disagree about the sound quality, though: I thought the 12 string was pretty nice.

It's got a "sustainer" in it which sounds like it may be similar to the VG-99's...but monophonic. 

No tunings and string splits.... wtf.

Antares has SUCH an opening available to them if they were to enhance the creative aspects of their tuning/pitch shifting tools.

billbax

It looks like a Buck Rogers disco guitar with a very average sounding demo. If this is the best it has to offer, I'd want my money back without spending a penny.

billbax   

Elantric

Elantric

Not to be confused with this restored 1968 Vox StarStream (Designed and built for Vox UK by EKO in italy)

or an original

or this more rare 1966 Phantom XII

or
Vox Guitar Organ

or the Musiconics ( Texas) Guitorgan

more
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-guitorgan-1

or

1970's Godwin Guitar-Organ

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: Elantric on January 15, 2016, 09:50:02 AM
No left handed. (Haven't actually found confirmation one way or the other but it's pretty safe to assume.)

Elantric

2016 Vox Starstream DSP Modeling Guitar

It's curious that several months after this guitar was announced, I can't find any Vox Dealer offering any pre-orders

Most feedback seems to focus on how strange this guitar looked , coupled with the high price , this one might become a rare bird

whippinpost91850

s a fellow lefty, Old enough to remember these when they were out, They were not available lefty that I know of

Elantric

I walk away seeing the URL name as "TYPE1"

Which makes me think a "TYPE2" is already in the works

Owners manual
http://www.voxamps.com/uploads/SupportPage_Downloads/Starstream_Type1_OM_EFGSJ2.pdf

pedigree

Vox The Handle

Elantric

clearlight

eh. seems like stuff I can already do with my VG gear.....
good for some I guess
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

Elantric

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L08YBVY?psc=1
VOX VSS1FWH Electric guitar, Starstream Type 1 - White Metallic Frame (Certified Refurbished) $499

This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
Equipped with the innovative AREOS-D system, this new line embodies a sleek, cutting-edge design from VOX.
Trans black semi-gloss mango body with metallic white contoured graphite frame
22 fret maple neck with rosewood fingerboard
AREOS-D system combines traditional pickups and a piezo system with a DSP engine

kneagle

I saw them at NAMM this year. Even the professional demo dude couldn't make it sound good. I kinda like the look of it. It looks better in person, I think, than the pictures show. There was another model (looked the same - different electronics) that had regular magnetic pickups with no modeling, but FX (OD, distortion, etc.) built in. No one was demoing that one, though ( I didn't get the model#).

Elantric

QuoteThere was another model (looked the same - different electronics) that had regular magnetic pickups with no modeling, but FX (OD, distortion, etc.) built in. No one was demoing that one, though ( I didn't get the model#).
Its the new headless model with the Korg . Noritake NU tube technology

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2017-the-vox-stand-in-pictures-647325

Starstream Type-1 Headless

PRESS RELEASE: Headless electric guitar with AREOS-Nu analogue amp modelling system

Handcrafted in the US at G-Rok R&D
Compact, easy to carry headless electric guitar with magnetic and piezo pickup systems
Figured American walnut body, laminated figured maple three-dimensional frame, hard maple single piece headless bolt-on neck, 25 1/8" (638mm) scale rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets
Vox CoAxe Vintage coaxial magnetic pickups with special switching
The onboard AREOS-Nu system uses proprietary Nutube miniaturised high performance vacuum tube technology to produce detailed analog tube amp models
Familiar Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain and Volume controls allow the player to program preset authentic tube amp tone ranging from pristine clean through crunchy rhythm and singing lead
The guitar can be plugged directly into a mixing console or live PA system without the need for a separate amplifier using the onboard cabinet simulation feature
The frame on the Starstream Type-1 Headless guitars is a special plywood supplied by the famous Japanese woodwork furniture manufacturer Tendo Co., Ltd.

G-ROK is run by Rich Lasner - who developed the Vox Virage Guitars, and was at Line-6 in a prior life.

https://www.facebook.com/rich.lasner

Elantric

A / B compare 2016 Vox Starstream 1  to 2016 Variax Standard

Elantric

enable translated CC