Creating a robust custom GK13 cable with screw in connector

Started by eldenkellymusic, February 01, 2022, 10:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldenkellymusic

Hello all!
This forum has been a great resource for me over the years. But this is the first time I am posting or interacting on it.

I am not handy and do not solder. I am in search of someone who already makes their own cables or who knows someone who does and can point me in that direction.

I use the Primova cables, I am very happy with them they are great. However, my rig needs have changed over the last years and all my GR/VG stuff is racked. Less cable clearance now.

I came across this post where LinzHenderson posted a picture of his guitar which appears to have a metal type screw in 13-pin connector. It looks like a LEMO type?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11717.0     

I'm sorry I haven't posted on the forum before so I don't know how to reach Linz directly or access that post to comment on it. Please advise.

From a FB discussion with Vanceg I am aware that a 19-pin LEMO can be adapted to 13-pin cable.

Here is what I want:
1) 13-pin to 13-pin cables.
2) metal screw in connectors (LEMO style) for the guitar end. Possible to still make these Right Angle?
For the processor end I am ok with the plastic end so as not have to replace the processor's jacks, but want more variety of angles. 120-150 degrees.
3) I know the Hirose 16 pin as recommended by Elantric is a possibility but I want the screw in lock that LEMO seems to provide.

Why you ask? I'm just nuts, that's all

Who can make these cables for me? Thanks!

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: eldenkellymusic on February 01, 2022, 10:56:51 AM
I came across this post where LinzHenderson posted a picture of his guitar which appears to have a metal type screw in 13-pin connector. It looks like a LEMO type?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11717.0

I can't tell for sure, but this might be a Variax RJ45 connector.  In either case, most LEMO-compatible connectors with high pin counts (like the Cycfi Research 19-pin) do not screw on, they have a push-pull locking mechanism instead.  It's quite robust. 

Quote from: eldenkellymusic on February 01, 2022, 10:56:51 AM
From a FB discussion with Vanceg I am aware that a 19-pin LEMO can be adapted to 13-pin cable.
Here is what I want:
1) 13-pin to 13-pin cables.
2) metal screw in connectors (LEMO style) for the guitar end. Possible to still make these Right Angle?
For the processor end I am ok with the plastic end so as not have to replace the processor's jacks, but want more variety of angles. 120-150 degrees.
3) I know the Hirose 16 pin as recommended by Elantric is a possibility but I want the screw in lock that LEMO seems to provide.

Why you ask? I'm just nuts, that's all

Who can make these cables for me? Thanks!
The main challenge is to find a cable with outer diameter that properly fits a LEMO connector at one end and a 13-pin connector at the other.  The LEMO works best with 9mm jackets, while the 13-pin cables tend to max out at 6mm.  So in theory you could cut one end off a Primova cable and attach a LEMO multi-pin plug. Not impossible, but it makes everything more tedious.l  The greatest issue is connecting the LEMO jack in your guitar - are you plugging into a Roland GK Internal Board?
The other concern is cost - LEMO connectors are insanely expensive and it's very hard to buy just one!  Fortunately there are Chinese copies available, but again more cost-effective in bulk.  The ECG /FGG series connectors can be specified in the right pin count for this application.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

philjynx

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 01, 2022, 01:55:23 PM
The main challenge is to find a cable with outer diameter that properly fits a LEMO connector at one end...
I've found that you can make a tidy and robust job of fattening the end of a cable with one or more layers of heat shrink insulation, adds strain relief as a bonus. Here's a too thin cable fitted to the expression pedal plug of my controller. I used two or three shrink sleeves.

LinzHenderson

Hi Elden,

Sorry - I haven't been on Facebook for about 18 months, so missed your message there.

I'm a bit tied up for the next few hours, but I'll reply properly when I can!

Quick version is: it's a Lumberg 12-pin locking connector. It worked well, but building the cables was a bit of a hassle and I decided it was better just buying a load of spare GK cables.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/din-connectors/1617869

eldenkellymusic

Hello all,

LinzHenderson and admin--Thank you so much for your info and all the helpful links!

I like the idea of 14 pin Lumberg connector. Next question is: who wants this cable-making gig? Anyone on here or that you know? I know this wouldn't be cheap. I am in to a long-term investment, set it and forget it for my set-up and touring solution(whenever that comes back lol). So theoretically this cable could survive a looong time. I find the 13-pin ends get bent over time and the flimsy feel as we all know

Admin--can you explain more about this:
"14 pins would allow  running separate Audio Ground for lower noise than GK 13"

I've never found the noise floor a problem except with certain patches and combinations thereof between multiple units. But good to know it could be even quieter!

I should have included my guitars: RMC Godin Multiac Nylon SA, Godin Multiac Nylon SA fretless, Moog Guitar with the 13-pin piezo add-on (was that Ghost I can't remember)

Thanks! Elden

gumbo

If you are then basically wedded to the GraphTech 'Ghost' system, that means you are using their 13-pin jack, which has its own PCB-mounted components (as part of the system) ATTACHED to the jack...including the "Traktion Switch"....this makes it a WHOLE lot more complicated when it comes to to substituting a different kind of jack at the guitar end of things....

...just saying....

As a builder of alternative 13-pin jacks (who has also built other systems, apart from the Synth-Linx components) I can tell you that there is a whole other can-of-worms there waiting in the wings when one attempts to modify the GraphTech bits and pieces...

I HAVE done this for a couple of people over the years, but it is NOT for the faint-hearted... ;)

....by all means, let's keep the conversation going.....

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

eldenkellymusic

Hi everyone!

Working with Yohan Damour, a really great GK expert in France, he has designed some great solutions to this issue. Not only a robust metal ending cable but also a locking jack! It has been a couple months that I have been happily using this and wanted to share this with y'all in the case it might be helpful or useful to any of you. Having a solution to this GK cable issue is long overdue. I figured it was time to create a good personal solution once and for all and I want to spread the word about it. I found Yohan via Reverb awhile ago. He creates 24-pin and 13-pin tech, like cables adapters and 24-13-pin converter boxes etc.
My connection started in 2019, when I was in need of a 2 A/B GK guitar in-->4 GK synths box (no longer available from Joness or Primova) and he built one in a very reasonable timeframe and I have been using it happily since 2019 and it is great. (Yes, even put in the GK subsonic filter-buffer). Knowing he does excellent work, I posited the ideas from this thread and he set to work on it and created some awesome solutions.
Here is the locking 13-pin jack. On the other end are non-locking created metal ends which are robust. In my case he created a whole jack for the Godin Multiac SA that is just "plug and play." It is all self-contained, you just plug it in to the ribbon connector. No soldering, easy. Also pictured is the AB-4 box.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread and share this with you all. If you are interested in cables such as this or other custom solutions he can be reached at damouryohan(at)hotmail(dot)com You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   Cheers! Elden