Fret repair on a Godin XTSA seeking advice

Started by mostlyjazzer, December 16, 2016, 05:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mostlyjazzer

Hello forum members.

So it seems I am facing the invitable issue of fret replacement on my XTSA I bought used several years ago.
It is my main guitar, the most versatile I ever had. I have serious pits and flatten areas on more than 6 frets etc..

Which approach should I take amongst the following.

Pay to refret by a pro about 215.00 US dol.

Buy Stew-macs $300.00 worth of tools and DIY?

Buy a replacment neck from Guit fetish atr $150.00 and see
if it all works together?

I guess I find the project intriguing and challenging in a good way.

The more I read some of the articles, the more details and experience  seems required to do such a job.

One thing that did come up was that the ebony fingerboard will want to chip while
removing the old frets ( to add to the difficulty)

Has anyone done a refret job coming in as a novice?

Seeking opinions.

Thanks gang! :)

aliensporebomb

Locally I live in the same community that David Rusan does.  He's the guy who designed and built the original white cloud guitars for Prince and has worked on the guitars of just about any "name" guitarist you can think of from Holdsworth to Ritchie Blackmore to lots of local guys. 

His fretwork is superlative, he took one of my main player guitars and got it playing better than it ever had before. 

I highly recommend paying the $215 and have a competent local guy do it especially if the guitar is a well liked instrument. 

I would hate to see you try doing it yourself only to find you made things worse.  If you want to get into that thing get yourself a less expensive guitar you won't feel too badly about if things go awry but not a main guitar.

My two cents.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Shingles

If you've not done a refret yourself before, get a used 50 buck squire affinity or similar and try on that.
A replacement neck on  godin? I wouldn't do it as Godin pay a lot of attention to neck fit and finish.

I would pay for the refret.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

admin

Quote from: mostlyjazzer on December 16, 2016, 05:56:25 AM
Hello forum members.

So it seems I am facing the invitable issue of fret replacement on my XTSA I bought used several years ago.
It is my main guitar, the most versatile I ever had. I have serious pits and flatten areas on more than 6 frets etc..

Which approach should I take amongst the following.

Pay to refret by a pro about 215.00 US dol.

Buy Stew-macs $300.00 worth of tools and DIY?

Buy a replacment neck from Guit fetish atr $150.00 and see
if it all works together?

I guess I find the project intriguing and challenging in a good way.

The more I read some of the articles, the more details and experience  seems required to do such a job.

One thing that did come up was that the ebony fingerboard will want to chip while
removing the old frets ( to add to the difficulty)

Has anyone done a refret job coming in as a novice?

Seeking opinions.

Thanks gang! :)

Might contact Godin directly first , you might catch them in a good mood that day and they might sell you a replacement Godin neck with new frets

--

The Godin Guitar Company
19420 Avenue Clark-Graham
Baie-D'Urfe Quebec Canada
      H9X 3R8

Tel (514) 457-7977 ext.135
Fax (514) 457-5774

info@godinguitars.com
http://www.godinguitars.com/

slooky

215 seems a little high. I had a Luthier do a setup, refret 2 frets on my Godin and it cost me 60$ He did a great job. When I bought it, it was totally unplayable. I think that's why the guy sold it so cheap. I knew that it just needed a setup.

Elantric

ReFret job prices and quality vary widely

back in 1980 - at Valley arts we charged

$75 for a Fret Level & Dress - and polish all frets)

$150 for Refret job with Level & Dress using nickel wire for guitars with no binding on Rosewood boards

$175 for Refret job with Level & Dress using nickel wire for guitars with no binding on Ebony boards

$200 for Refret job with Level & Dress using nickel wire for guitars with binding (Gibson LP's)

$225 for Refret job with Level & Dress using nickel wire for guitars with Maple boards that required new lacquer on the fretboard

add more for Dunlop 6100, Stainless, etc.

mostlyjazzer

Thank you all.

I'm heading to a trusted local luthier who works on local celebs gear tomorrow.

I actually got someone to suggest over the phone a lesser cost than I expected.

Some time I think too much info can spin you in the wrong direction.

I agree that an El Cheapo would be necessary to practice on such project.

Given it remains my fave instrument, might as well get it done by an experience luthier.

Heck, with 5 guits, I'll be busy enough with minor repairs, set-ups and mods to keep my DIY mind busy.

Thanks for throwing some good advice and common sense my way.  :)