VGSyncer - RapsberryPi

Started by MrKleinCZ, October 28, 2015, 06:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKleinCZ

Hi,
I'm now "playing" with RaspberryPi and it looks that there are more potential that use it only as USB-Midi converter :-) ....
Let me introduce my project called "VGSyncer"... because it start to sync patches between GP-10 and GR-55 (where GR-55 will act as master and patches on GP-10 will follow) /similar as "program change table" on GR-55 but more adjustable/

Currently I have RaspberryPi with 4x20 LCD display and 4 menu buttons (see RPi_connected.jpg) and tested python script to manipulate with Rolands devices via USB. /I can send messages and read them ...see PRi_terminals.png/

script is on GitHub ( https://github.com/MrKleinCZ/VGSyncer ) with some more information. Hope that I let You soon some new information about this "gadget".

Elantric

Great work - thanks for sharing and keep us posted with any updates !

MrKleinCZ

Still in development... HW is mostly finished /i also include GK signal splitter/. RPi will be used as Wi-Fi access point for "TouchOSC" tablet - looks that bidirectional communication work - so it's possible to display patch names also in OSC client...
Hope that from now will be progress quicker :)
Jirka

sixeight

Great work. Did you etch the pcb for the GK splitter yourself?

MrKleinCZ

Thank You,
no I found in CZ small manufacture where able to etch single boards for resonable $$ ( 2layers but without plating - I use soldered pins on vias)
Jirka

MrKleinCZ

HW part is finished, now focusing to finish SW (patch handling, bidirectional OSC, etc.....)

sixeight

MrKleinCZ

TouchOSC template ;) ... and slowly finishing controll code. :P

MrKleinCZ

During coding I thinking about "LE" (little bit expanded) version /inspired by sixeight VController/.... each additional display+leds+footswitches unit will be driven by MCP23017 (I2C 16bit interface)
Panel size is actually 180x330mm (7"x13")

MrKleinCZ

During time I decide to "publish" 3 versions of this .....
Zero: just RPi 2B with WiFi dongle - controlled only by OSC (just SW to install)
Standart: as above + LCD and controll buttons + 2ext controll switches + GK splitter + controll by S1/S2 on guitar (hw is ready and working)
LE: as above + 10 footswitches and 5 LCD display to show function + some LED + native MIDI IN/OUT (hw in progress)

whippinpost91850

Sounds interesting, please keep us posted

MrKleinCZ

DIY madness ... :P
but now back from workshop to programing and coding  8)

sixeight

Excellent work. It looks really good. What functionality will the VGSyncer have?

MrKleinCZ

The first think I have to implement is "quick dial" for patches on GR55, GP10 and GT001 - in two modes: "song" - patches are changed on all devices by song map (intro, verse, verse2 .... ) and "jam" - favorite patches for device on button :-)

vanceg

Quote from: MrKleinCZ on March 14, 2016, 11:49:54 PM
The first think I have to implement is "quick dial" for patches on GR55, GP10 and GT001 - in two modes: "song" - patches are changed on all devices by song map (intro, verse, verse2 .... ) and "jam" - favorite patches for device on button :-)

WOW!  Wonderful wonderful work! 

MrKleinCZ

After some test I order some "profiPCB" to make hardware reproduceable :-). See Raspberry Pi with interface for one LCD, navigation buttons, guitar S1/S2 and ExtControl handle. 1-to-2 GK splitter, MIDI module for RPi and 1 of 5 I2C LCD&LED&FootSwitch driver (will be mounted on back of 16x2 LCD module).

sixeight

Nice. Could you do a product demo? I would love to see the unit in action.

MrKleinCZ

give me 1 or 2 weeks, I currently finishing SW (it's going slower than I expect :-\) ...

sixeight

Quote from: MrKleinCZ on June 07, 2016, 06:26:48 AM
give me 1 or 2 weeks, I currently finishing SW (it's going slower than I expect :-\) ...

I know, it is a lot of work. Especially debugging can be a pain. But I enjoy the epiphany of getting it all working.

MrKleinCZ

Due to lack of time all going longer... but here is last mechanical part - RPi panel holder and holders for MIDI and GKSplitter boards....

and here are one of five display/switch/led modules (net time will be all on pcb and 4&5pin dupont connectors will be replaced with 2x5 ribbon cable - it's more easy to assemble them)

currently are mostly assembled two devices and I still fighting with software :-)

sixeight

QuoteDue to lack of time all going longer...

But looking stunning nonetheless. Excellent work. It looks really good. I would love to see it all working...

MrKleinCZ

HW is finished :-)
RPi with "power management" (latch ON/Shutdown Init/Force Off button)

Look Inside....

and closed

Schematics: https://github.com/MrKleinCZ/VGSyncer/raw/master/0_RPi/schematics.pdf

Let's go to programing :-)

Elantric

Very Clever modulator design implementation !

rolandvg99

Seriously great effort. As Jimi Hendrix said: "Keep on pushing. Straight ahead."
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

sixeight

Great stuff.  It all looks very familiar to me... A VController with a different brain...  Great to see your progress.  Keep up the good work.