Recording guitar with Zoom H6 through Gt-100

Started by tegesinski, January 20, 2018, 01:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tegesinski

Hi all,
First of all - this forum gave me a number of solutions to my answers and I'd like to thank you all.

I'm thinking of buying a digital recorder Zoom H6 (or maybe H5 or H4n Pro). I'd like to record myself in few scenarios:

1. jam sessions - at a garage
2. our concerts - at live venues (small clubs, small openair scenes)
3. acoustic guitar + 1 or 2 vocalists - mostly in living room
4. electric guitar + 1 or 2 vocals - mostly in living room

As for point 1 and 3 I think of simplest solution possible, meaning just built in XY microphones.
As for point 2 I think I might just ask THE GUY for a sum of all our instruments and vocals as a single output straight into the Zoom or even better - all instruments separately (I read Zoom H6 can take up to 6 separate tracks - let's say: 1. drums, 2. bass, 3. guitar, 4. piano, 5. vocals 1, 6. vocals 2). There are great possibilities to work on such material afterwards.

But there's one thing I can't imagine - how to record scenario 4.
Here's my gear:
Guitar -> GT-100 -> Peavey Classic 30

I think of connecting 2 vocals into separate inputs in Zoom. That's all. But how do I use Zoom to record my Peavey? It doesn't have line out, but it does have effects S/R, so i thought I could put Zoom somewhere in effects chain, but where?

I sometimes use 4Cables method and sometimes just use 2Cables when I play through someone else's amp (then I go guitar -> GT-100 input -> Gt - 100 left output -> Peavey FX Return). In second case I set COSM as preamp and use combo as a big loud speaker only.

So, does anyone know where to put Zoom H6 in FX chain in both cases?

Thank you goes to everyone who read this post and would like to help me.

Greetings,
TeGes

Mrchevy

I would just set up your electric guitar rig as usual. then mic it to the recorder. Then you get all the nuances of your guitar rig. There are numerous mics that you could use but the Shure SM57 has been a tried and true mic to record amps with for decades. Another way to record with the Peavy is to run its preamp in the S/R of the GT-100.   

Guitar> GT100 guitar input> GT100 send> Peavey amp guitar input> Peavy preamp send> GT100 return> GT100 output> ZoomH6 line input. Doing this though, you will lose the power amp factor of your amp sound.

Also, if your amp does in fact have a S/R, (effects loop), then your SEND would basically be your line out.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones