Katana - Get latest Firmware and latest Boss Tone Studio

Started by gumtown, October 02, 2017, 01:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
\KATANA SYSTEM PROGRAM (VER.3.02)
Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 3 as a set with KATANA series version 3.
How to tell the version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA before downloading the archive file.

Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
If the indicators light up as described below, the system is at the latest version.
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "0.5W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" and "REVERB" lights up.

If the indicators light up in a different way than just described, perform an update.
When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.
Update history
[ Ver.3.02 ] JAN 2019
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
Popping noise occurs when TONE SETTING is switched.
The SYSTEM parameter set in BOSS TONE STUDIO is initialized when KATANA version 2 is updated to version 3.

[ Ver.3.01 ] DEC 2018
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
The minimum value and maximum value settings of an expression pedal specified by "ASGN" return to their default values when the power is turned off.

[ Ver.3.00 ] DEC 2018
Additional Functions
When using reverb or other stereo effects, USB Audio OUT carries the stereo signal.
"GE-10" was added to TYPE for EQ (PATCH EQ) and GLOBAL EQ.
"95E Pedal Wah" and "Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
It is now possible to assign the parameters you want to the effect knobs on KATANA's top panel.
You can assign parameters to expression pedals with greater flexibility.

[ Ver.2.04 ] JAN 2018 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fix
When the POSITION value for GLOBAL EQ has been set using BOSS TONE STUDIO, the setting is sometimes not correctly applied to the audio.

[ Ver.2.03 ] ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When switching between BANK A and B using a FS-5U unit connected to the EXP PEDAL jack on the GA-FC, in extremely rare cases, no sound is produced.
When pressing and holding TAP on the GA-FC to switch between setting either the DELAY or DELAY2 delay time, the indicator on the GA-FC sometimes fails to flash.

[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

What you will need to update your KATANA
KATANA
USB cable
A computer with a USB connector ( Windows, Mac )
Caution when performing the update
Never apply this update data to any product other than the KATANA. This update data may destroy the data or system program of other products.
Never power-off your KATANA while the update is in progress!
If a power failure or similar accident occurs during the update process, the KATANA won't be able to start up in normal operating mode. This will require servicing, so you will need to contact Roland service center near you if this occurs.
We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document.
Getting the update file
Please open/extract the downloaded "katana_sys_v300.zip" file on your computer to get the two update files named "ROMINFO.TXT" and "KATANARM.BIN" in the "katana_sys_v300" folder.
Procedure for the update
Caution
You must not rename the extracted files.
Never turn off the KATANA's power while the update is in progress. Otherwise the system program or the KATANA itself may be destroyed.
Please install the extracted system program files into your KATANA according to the following procedure.
Adjust the [ MASTER ] knob to minimum.
* Do not connect the KATANA and the computer yet.
Turn the POWER switch on while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons.
The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash.
Connect the computer to the KATANA's USB port by a USB cable.
The indicators for the [CH1] through [CH2]/[CH4] buttons stop flashing and stay lighted, and a "BOSS_KATANA" drive appears on the computer screen.
Open the BOSS_KATANA icon.
"Removable Disk ( * : )" may appear instead of the BOSS_KATANA icon.
Copy (drag and drop) all the files included in the "katana_sys_v300" folder into the "BOSS_KATANA" icon.
* Do not copy the "katana_sys_v300" folder.
Disconnect the BOSS_KATANA from the computer.
With Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 7
Right-click on the "BOSS_KATANA" icon in My Computer (or the "Removable Disk ( * : )" icon) and execute "Eject."
With Mac OS
Drag the "BOSS_KATANA" icon to the Trush icon in the Dock.
Disconnect the USB cable.
The [PANEL] button flashes.
Press [ PANEL ] button to start the update process.
While the update is in progress, the "EFFECTS" indicators light up.
When the update has finished, the "EFFECTS" indicators slowly flash simultaneously.
Turn the KATANA power off.
This completes the update operation. The new system program runs at the next startup.
Follow the procedure for verifying the version to verify that the version has been updated.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

A tip if installing Katana Tone Studio 2:

Uninstall Katana Tone Studio 1 first !!

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Check out the "System Midi" menu in Katana Tone Studio 2

With Assignable CC# and Program change to the Katana channels and Pedal Functions.

rolandvg99

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

gumtown

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 02, 2017, 02:33:44 AM
Still working with FxFloorboard?
No,
the new patch size is much bigger, there are a heap of new effects in the Katana, pedal assigns, midi cc# controls, and 8 channels on the Katana 100 and 4 channels on the Katana 50.

Working on a FxFloorBoard update for Katana 2 .

rolandvg99

Quote from: gumtown on October 02, 2017, 02:59:51 AM
No,
the new patch size is much bigger, there are a heap of new effects in the Katana, pedal assigns, midi cc# controls, and 8 channels on the Katana 100 and 4 channels on the Katana 50.

Still able to shift the FX around in the chain.

admin

Read the details in the new Katana 2 Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KATANA_e02_W.pdf

And the new Katana 2 Supplementary Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KTN-v2_leaf_eng01_W.pdf

and updated Katana Parameter Guide
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_eng02_W.pdf
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24977759/

Gumtown wrote>
QuoteYes, highly recommended.
The only down side for me is FxFloorBoard does not work under version 2, because the patch size is now soooo much bigger,
and for good reason too.
A heap of new effects,
a new and extra/separate "Delay2" including the retro Boss SDE-3000 delay unit.
EVH Flanger and Phaser 90 added to MOD and FX
Send/Return loop with adjustable levels per channel.
Katana 100 now has 8 channels, Katana 50 has 4 channels.
A new separate Equaliser unit.
A new Global EQ
Output Select options called "Air Feel" (live/recording options)
Extensive midi program change and midi CC# control options and GAFC pedal assign options.

FxFloorBoard has some updating to do.... stay tuned folks :)

As always - try the new Boss Studio for Katana 2.0 in "offline" mode to explore all the new features and FX
https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-100/downloads/

---

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by...drivers/b9da3bd3-ab7b-451a-9310-7c6fdb6d4b24/
Procedure for the update
Caution

You must not rename the extracted files.
Never turn off the KATANA's power while the update is in progress. Otherwise the system program or the KATANA itself may be destroyed.
Please install the extracted system program files into your KATANA according to the following procedure.

Adjust the [ MASTER ] knob to minimum.
* Do not connect the KATANA and the computer yet.
Turn the POWER switch on while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons.
The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash.
Connect the computer to the KATANA's USB port by a USB cable.
The indicators for the [CH1] through [CH2]/[CH4] buttons stop flashing and stay lighted, and a "BOSS_KATANA" drive appears on the computer screen.
Open the BOSS_KATANA icon.
"Removable Disk ( (*: )" may appear instead of the BOSS_KATANA icon.
Copy (drag and drop) all the files included in the "katana_sys_v201" folder into the "BOSS_KATANA" icon.
* Do not copy the "katana_sys_v201" folder.
Disconnect the BOSS_KATANA from the computer.
With Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 7
Right-click on the "BOSS_KATANA" icon in My Computer (or the "Removable Disk ( (* : )" icon) and execute "Eject."
With Mac OS
Drag the "BOSS_KATANA" icon to the Trash icon in the Dock.
Disconnect the USB cable.
The [PANEL] button flashes.
Press [ PANEL ] button to start the update process.
While the update is in progress, the "EFFECTS" indicators light up.
When the update has finished, the "EFFECTS" indicators slowly flash simultaneously.
Turn the KATANA power off.
This completes the update operation. The new system program runs at the next startup.
Follow the procedure for verifying the version to verify that the version has been updated.

fificap

Whaou  :D :D :D

So cool !

I hope in a next release i can switch green/yellow/red effect with the GA-FC ...

fificap

Quote from: gumtown on October 02, 2017, 02:03:15 AM
Check out the "System Midi" menu in Katana Tone Studio 2

With Assignable CC# and Program change to the Katana channels and Pedal Functions.

Hi,

For the two banks of channels, the delay2, global eq, loop level, and other effects, i understand how it works.
But for Assignable CC# and Program change to the Katana channels and Pedal Functions... could you explain to a non midi expert what does it mean?

thanks
fifi

Elantric

Quote from: fificap on October 02, 2017, 11:22:21 AM
Hi,

For the two banks of channels, the delay2, global eq, loop level, and other effects, i understand how it works.
But for Assignable CC# and Program change to the Katana channels and Pedal Functions... could you explain to a non midi expert what does it mean?

thanks
fifi

It means an external "Show Control" computer or external MIDI Foot controller can now directly access and control on/off state of many Katana built in FX in real time at the gig using MIDI CC# messages to control Katana FX Targets

fificap

Ok, thanks!
I start to understand. It should allow to use a midi over usb controller without the need of a MIDX-20 or equivalent interface computer.

One other question, can i use BTS V2.0 with the "old" firmware, or only with new firmware? I will do the upgrade of firmware but not this week !

@+
fifi

admin

QuoteI start to understand. It should allow to use a midi over usb controller without the need of a MIDX-20 or equivalent interface computer.

MIDI over USB is capable for all Katanas

If you use a standard 5 pin MIDI foot controller, you will still need a Katana Head 

or PrimovaSound MIDX-20
http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

or homebrew SBC Linux / solution

KATANA - Snhirsch's Katana MIDI Bridge for RPI / BeagleBone
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19782.0

or Win / Mac computer with Boss Katana USB Driver + separate 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O Interface to provide the "missing 5 pin MIDI Input"  connection to control for the non head Katana versions.

Quotecan i use BTS V2.0 with the "old" firmware

Not sure - I suspect the answer is NO

Elantric

rhyming_orange wrote>
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24982121/
QuoteFinally got home from work and had a chance to install the new firmware and play around a bit. One thing that might have already been mentioned but caused me a lot of consternation is that my FX loop was turned OFF by default on all my saved channel presets post-update. I kept checking all my connections on my pedalboard trying to find a loose cable, when it was the amp the whole time! Loading up Boss Tone Studio and hitting the "on" button under the S/R tab fixed it, thankfully.

The thing that most interested me about the new version was the redone cab emulation for line out/phones, and I'm happy to report that the "tin can full of bees" is much less in evidence now, though it's going to take some tweaking to get a really usable setting for any recording purposes; I'm still likely to just mic things up in those circumstances, but at the *very* least we've got from "headphone out is unusable for anything but low-gain practice" to "Hey, I can play AC/DC at 1AM without waking anyone up!", and really, that's going a long way towards fixing my only real problem with an otherwise fantastic amp. Kudos to BOSS for not just dumping this amp onto the market and moving on - they're really committed to making the Katana the best thing on the market in its class by a country mile.

KeLynne wrote>
QuoteThe blend feature on the line out/USB out is much more useable. It sounds at least as decent as many of my ownhammer IRs. The global EQ and other added EQ options with relation to signal chain make this just as versatile as some higher end modelers like the AX8 now. I think Boss really nailed this update. Adding expanded MIDI control within BTS will make programming my live rig much more simpler. I'd be lying if I said that this update hasn't made me a fangirl. It's really neat that they listened to the features we wanted and tried to oblige in a big way.

pelaomedinaese

there's a plan to update GT-1? Sorry for change the discussion theme

Elantric

Quote from: pelaomedinaese on October 02, 2017, 08:12:44 PM
there's a plan to update GT-1? Sorry for change the discussion theme

No word on GT-1 updates

templo

Check version question.
How can an Amp know that there is a newer firmware version?
My Katana 100 shows that it has the latest version, does not flash at all.

Update: Never mind, it's down.

templo

Though I still wonder, how can Katana know that there is a newer firmware version?

gumtown

Quote from: templo on October 03, 2017, 12:54:50 AM
Though I still wonder, how can Katana know that there is a newer firmware version?
The Katana can not know that a new firmware has been made,
it can only tell you which firmware it currently has.

It is up to the Katana human operator to decide if the firmware version indicated by the Katana is current or older than the version posted on the Boss website.

alancarl

No,

Well FWIW, I am using the current Katana Floorboard editor and the Boss Tone Studio 2.0 at the same time on an OSX 10.10 MBP!
The BTS is the main application and the Floorboard editor can help send a bunch of SYSEX commands to easily get more out of the Katana!
The Floorboard editor will send the SYSEX commands to get all of the effects going all at the same time...the either or choice of Booster/Mod Delay/FX bugs me:-)
Lots fun with everybody's contributions here!
Peacde,
AL

Elantric

Official Announcement
--

BOSS Announces Version 2 Update  for the Katana Amplifier Series
BOSS has released version 2 firmware for Katana amps. This free update brings new effects, powerful signal-routing options, and much more to your Katana playing experience.
Katana Version 2 Features:
•   Twice the number of Tone Setting memories
•   Three Air Feel and Cabinet Resonance settings added for a more in-the-room feel and tone
•   New MOD/FX Phase 90E and Flanger 117E effects
•   SDE-3000 added to Delay Type
•   New DELAY2, Patch EQ, and Global EQ effect modules
•   Send/Return is now selectable for each individual Tone Setting value
•   Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible
•   Added support for BOSS Tone Studio for Katana
•   Reduced noise when switching effects
•   Fix: No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection
Requirements for updating your Katana amplifier:
•   Katana amplifier
•   USB cable
•   MacOS or OS X or Windows computer
Click on your amp model to get the free v2.01 System Program for Katana-100/212, Katana-100, Katana-50, and Katana-Head amplifiers.

CodeSmart

...and for us MIDI hackers Boss had the nice courtesy of keeping their sneaky amps and effects in there while adding the new V2 features :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

hsuru4u

No,

Gum..your effort is amazing.....i wonder if boss did something in the new update that will make it "harder" for you to work around to get floorboard to work with the ver2?

Elantric

Quote from: hsuru4u on October 04, 2017, 12:59:51 PM
Gum..your effort is amazing.....i wonder if boss did something in the new update that will make it "harder" for you to work around to get floorboard to work with the ver2?

There are many new parameters to get mapped into Gumtowns Katana FX Floorboard Editor
QuoteBOSS has released version 2 firmware for Katana amps. This free update brings new effects, powerful signal-routing options, and much more to your Katana playing experience.
Katana Version 2 Features:
• Twice the number of Tone Setting memories
• Three Air Feel and Cabinet Resonance settings added for a more in-the-room feel and tone
• New MOD/FX Phase 90E and Flanger 117E effects
• SDE-3000 added to Delay Type
• New DELAY2, Patch EQ, and Global EQ effect modules
• Send/Return is now selectable for each individual Tone Setting value
• Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible
• Added support for BOSS Tone Studio for Katana 2.0

good news is

Codesmart wrote>
Quote...and for us MIDI hackers Boss had the nice courtesy of keeping their sneaky amps and effects in there while adding the new V2 features :D

templo

Still disturb me that it's not possible to save boost effect separately (on panel settings).
Or do I miss something?

rolandvg99

Quote from: templo on October 05, 2017, 01:43:02 AM
Still disturb me that it's not possible to save boost effect separately (on panel settings).
Or do I miss something?
You're not missing something at all. Weird decision by Roland/Boss. Another thing missing is free positioning of FX in FxFloorboard. It works as long as you don't power of your amp and you can store presets and switch among them without issues, but the chain reverts to either of the three presets after a power off/on. No more Wah before OD or GuitarSim in front of the other FX as of now :(.