VG-99- Should I buy a Roland VG-99

Started by Hennisdk, September 08, 2010, 02:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmcginness

Just bought my 4th VG-99 last week with a spare FC-300. I should be set for a few years to come. The first one is still running pretty good despite being on the road since 2007.
   I have a GP-10 that I was planning to go on the road with me but the alternate tuning anomolies force me to leave it at home.
   So, YES!!!! get a VG-99 you wont be dissapointed. Learn to work it and program it. It is a very deep box with a lot of flexibility.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

chrish

Quote from: deanmass on August 09, 2016, 09:55:04 AM
The used VG on Reverb was mine. I still have it, along with a Godin Freeway Flame SA.

It is really cool, but, I play solo acoustic 99% of the time, and it ends up just sitting. I do not understand Rolands' markteting at all. The GR55 is NOT even close to the 99 nor is the SY. It is weird to me that they broke it apart like this into so many sub-products. Might be because the thing is so deep, most did not dig into it.
Welcome to the forum. I may be interested in getting another one with accessories. Sent you a PM.

aliensporebomb

My concern is: 8 years in I feel I finally have a grasp on getting most any sound I could want.  But being an electronic device, I wonder how long it realistically can last.

Although my JC-120 has only needed one fuse in 30 years use.....so.......
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

My vg8 s1 is still working and i have not even changed the battery.

I'm about a third of the way through the vg99 threads and i can across an interesting thread about how the vg99 came to be produced. The vg-8.com dude was involved in contacting Roland about user requests and many wound up in the vg99. If you read the promo material,  Roland basically said 'hey, we listened and here it is'.

I haven't had the unit for a long time but this is the ultimate guitar synth. I thought  that the sy-300 would be it, but no, the vg99 is the pinacle of Roland's achievement in guitar synth. The sample based units that Roland calls guitar synths are really just keyboard synths that can be played by a guitar.

One thing that i'm happy about is that my gr-50 is a better guitar to midi controller, through 5 pin midi jack, than the vg99 as far as being glitchy. So i still have need for the gr-50's that i have.

alexmcginness

[quote author=chrish link=topic=2668.msg134198#msg134198 date=1470799008

One thing that i'm happy about is that my gr-50 is a better guitar to midi controller, through 5 pin midi jack, than the vg99 as far as being glitchy. So i still have need for the gr-50's that i have.
[/quote]

If you use a Mac with the VG-99 usb to midi you can get great Guitar to midi. BTW I also have a GR-50 and still use it. Im a PC guy that bought a Mac powerbook to use with my VG-99 for guitar to midi. All the Roland guitar boxes that use USB to midi work better with the Mac than the PC as the drivers for the Mac are better.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

imerkat

I recently bought the VG-99 and I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. I have the GR-55 and other amp modelers so I'm still trying to figure out what new ground i can cover with it. It'd be real interested to know what i can do with all fifths tuning and effects.

alexmcginness

Quote from: imerkat on August 10, 2016, 08:56:54 AM
I recently bought the VG-99 and I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. I have the GR-55 and other amp modelers so I'm still trying to figure out what new ground i can cover with it. It'd be real interested to know what i can do with all fifths tuning and effects.

What do you want to do with it???   

The VG-99 is basically the Sinclavier of guitar pedals. You've go double the guitar processing power of a GR-55. Granted you don't have the synth sounds but man the power you have for guitar with the 99 is limited only by your imagination. You have so much EQ power in the box, routing options etc.
   Heres one guy using this with an FC 300. Its a three piece band bass drums and guitar live and hes playing the guitar and synth parts at once.

all you have to do is think of what youd like to do then figure it out and away you go.

The patch for this is here on the forum

! No longer available

chrish

I will be switching to mac's as soon as my windows 7 laptop dies, just can't support the windows 10 mentality.

What i like about the gr-50 as a midi controller is two branchs of midi, so you can have mono midi chanels 1-6 on branch A and midi mono  chanels 11-16 on branch B, (or select poly). Each chanel can transmit pitch bend or chromatic,tranpose +24 to -24, program change numbers, and string selectable on /off. It's all very easy to get to this set up.

Unless i'm missing something, the vg99 left off some very nice guitar to midi thru 5 pin features.

But with the vg99 you can create any sound you want and if you include midi triggered tone modules, it's all there.

What i find fascinating is that asb can turn one of the cosm electric guitar models into a synth sound.

alexmcginness

Quote from: chrish on August 10, 2016, 09:54:37 AM
I will be switching to mac's as soon as my windows 7 laptop dies, just can't support the windows 10 mentality.

What i like about the gr-50 as a midi controller is two branchs of midi, so you can have mono midi chanels 1-6 on branch A and midi mono  chanels 11-16 on branch B, (or select poly). Each chanel can transmit pitch bend or chromatic,tranpose +24 to -24, program change numbers, and string selectable on /off. It's all very easy to get to this set up.

Unless i'm missing something, the vg99 left off some very nice guitar to midi thru 5 pin features.

But with the vg99 you can create any sound you want and if you include midi triggered tone modules, it's all there.

What i find fascinating is that asb can turn one of the cosm electric guitar models into a synth sound.

I never switched to MAC I just bought one to use as a guitar to midi box. I still have my GR-50 which I use even still and an Axon AX 100 that I use for recording bass parts as its still the fastest interface of the lot.
   The best way to use the 99 as a GT to Midi interface is with USB and not the 5 pin MIDI port. Its more than good enough when you use it with a Mac. When you use the PC it glitches all over the place.

As far as Windows 10 goes Im still on W7 64bit. Everything is working good. I learned my lesson way back that its never a good idea to upgrade to a new Windows OS until at least Service Pack 1 comes along.

imerkat

To be honest I was looking for a GP-10 for guitar-to-MIDI and 6 string Reamping but i found the VG-99 for the same price, i had to jump on it. figured i could resale it without a loss.

alexmcginness

Quote from: imerkat on August 10, 2016, 10:17:50 AM
To be honest I was looking for a GP-10 for guitar-to-MIDI and 6 string Reamping but i found the VG-99 for the same price, i had to jump on it. figured i could resale it without a loss.

I have a GP-10 as well. Theres an alternate tuning anomoly in it but the guitar to midi with USB is really good as well as some excellent patches for it here on the forum. I bought a used one for $350 Canadian. I really like it too. The 99 is my main workhorse for live work. Theres just waaaaay too much that it does for me that the other boxes cant.

Rick

Hi, have you ever tried using a GP10 through an iRig MIDI out using an iPad? I try to get in some samples from the iPad, plus I really like having my DSI Mopho's arpeggiator follow chords and even some solo lines. The tiny GP10 would save me acres of pedalboard space, but nobody I know has one to try...
Lately, just as a GTR-MIDI interface I've been getting better results from my old GR-33 than from my VG-99. I'd use my GR-55, that is also a tiny bit faster, but the 33 sends a different type of hold signal that works properly with the Mopho's arpeggiator. Very annoying, tired of hooking up 3 guitar synths each time I go out for a jam. Has anybody got a project in mind to stuff a VG99, GR55, VG8ex and maybe even this cute little SY-300 that has been dominating my free time of late..., all into a box about the size of Nano Big Muff??  ::)
or something like that...
Thanks, Rick
axes:
Gibson SG-shaped LP Standard '63
Gibson SG Specially Kahlered Y2K
Lapaxe cocobolo '11
Ibanez RG450AH '99 'rootbeered'
Fender Strat Hitmaker copy
Yamaha 112, GK, fretless & sustainiaked

fx:
VG99, VG8ex, SY300, Philo-Tone Gold, Adrenalinn III, TC VL3, RC202

amps:
GK 206mls + two SR Club

Elantric

QuoteHi, have you ever tried using a GP10 through an iRig MIDI out using an iPad? I try to get in some samples from the iPad, plus I really like having my DSI Mopho's arpeggiator follow chords and even some solo lines. The tiny GP10 would save me acres of pedalboard space,

re-phrase the question - ??

The GP-10 (like the VG-99) does not respond to MIDI Note on / off messages

Rick

emm, yeah, sorry, though I did find the answer in another post after all, one about the MIDX10 and 20. I never considered the GP-10 because of the lack of on-board MIDI connectors, but the MIDX boxes seem to take care of that. There are just so many posts in this forum that I get lost reading them sometimes, or try googling "GP-10 MIDI", absolute waste of time.
Anyways, the problem is that I usually use my GR55 to drive some MIDI synths, along with SampleTank on my iPad using an iRig MIDI. I never mentioned triggering the Roland synths' internal sounds... So, I figured somebody must have finally thought up something better than Arduino to get the GP-10 to drive MIDI gear without using a full-on computer. I just seem to have somehow missed when the MIDX10 came out. I emailed Primova just now, so we'll see, just a matter of digging up a cheap GP-10 as I'd rather not sell my 55 and 99...
I've been using these synths for about 25 years now, and it never fails to suprise me how limited they make the new ones. When they made the GR700, they just took a reasonably high-end keyboard synth, JX-3P, and re-packaged it for guitar. What could be so difficult in doing that with a Fantom or, better still, with a V-Synth? Do you remember what a new GR700 cost? If I was to use if professionally, I'd shell out near anything for VG-Fantom or a VG-Synth, wouldn't you???  ;D

axes:
Lapaxe cocobolo '11

fx:

amps:
GK 206mls + two SR Club

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15758.msg134073#msg134073

PrimovaSound MIDX-10  - This unique USB MIDI Host works perfect with Roland/Boss USB Guitar Devices such as GP-10, VG-001, GR-55, VG-99, SY-300, GT-100, GT-10 etc. It has a switch to enable MIDI Merge/Thru feature cleverly routing incoming MIDI messages from the 5-Pin MIDI IN connector to MIDI OUT mixing it with the USB stream. This plug and play unit operates on any 9VDC adapter (2.1mm plug) or any cell phone charger via a Micro USB connector.

QuoteDo you remember what a new GR700 cost?

I do remember , I sold and repaired a few of those when they were new back in 1986
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

alexmcginness

I find that theres a lot of latency using my midox 10 using it this way.

Rick

You managed to repair them? I went crazy looking for a voice chip when one burnt out on one of mine. They were getting old already when I had them. Still, I loved them, but I only managed to fit the GR700 in to one song in the live set we were doing back then, and just for the intro! For some reason I could never get the VG sounds accepted by the rest of the group... can't blame them really!
You haven't heard of anybody using one of those iConnectMIDI devices with the GP-10? I can't wait for the guys at Primova to get back to me... their site says that 50 MIDX20s are on their way... mmm...
Anyways, I'm editing some clips that I'm doing for some improvs with poetry readings, using the Mopho arpeggiator, VG or GR sounds, and some Adrenalinn drums and effects, I'll post the mp3s when they stop sounding like, well, crap...  ::)
axes:
Lapaxe cocobolo '11

fx:

amps:
GK 206mls + two SR Club

Rick

Quote from: alexmcginness on August 10, 2016, 02:52:04 PM
I find that theres a lot of latency using my midox 10 using it this way.

OH! OK, would you know if that 'new' MIDX20 will be a bit better than the 10? I've been used to the GR55 giving me some lightning fast response times since I've managed to get the GK pup settings right (ha ha, after some 25 years of trying... :'( )
axes:
Lapaxe cocobolo '11

fx:

amps:
GK 206mls + two SR Club

Elantric

QuoteYou managed to repair them? I

Yes - back in the 1980's when I was an Authorized Roland Service manager for 7 years

GR-700
http://www.joness.com/gr300/service/GR-700_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf

shares  90% of the same parts as a Roland JX3P
http://fa.utfs.org/diy/jx3p/jx3p_schem.htm

and MKS-30 Planet-S
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/mks30.php

http://analog.no/cms/index.php/roland-custom-integrated-circuits

QuoteiConnectMIDI devices with the GP-10?

That does not work

" today a SEEEDSTUDIO Beaglebone Green Wireless board ($45) running embedded Linux and Linux Jack Audio should provide  a fast low latency GP-10  USB Host to MIDI conversion 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.msg133134#msg133134

Its a bit faster than Raspberry Pi solution here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11998.0

Martin Turner

So, back to the original question.

The answer is yes ... or no.

If you're an expert guitarist, by which I mean you've mastered all of the usual techniques and can play them in public without having to think about it, then the VG-99 will provide pretty much any sound you can imagine—if you're prepared to work on it.

If you're an expert and experienced guitarist, by which I mean you've also been gigging for several years, and have a sonic memory of many different guitars, amps, cabs and effects, then the difficult interface will be a small price to pay for getting exactly what you want.

If you're a relatively novice guitarist, and you're looking for a pedal that will gloss over the holes in your playing, then buy a Zoom or Behringer multi-FX like everyone else does, or, even better, buy second-hand a separate Overdrive, Flanger and Delay and experiment with them. Otherwise, you are opening yourself up to a world of frustration, or else you will simply be clicking through existing presets, most of which could have been achieved on the Zoom.

I've been using the VG-99 since it came out, and the VG-88 before that. Before that it was a Zoom 2020, and before that a Yamaha Rex-5, and before that a Washburn Stack-in-a-Box, a Boss Chorus and an Aria Digital Delay. On the way I had the Roland GR-700 and 707 synth guitar.

When playing in a band, less is more. The VG-99 is brilliant at getting exactly the sound you want, and has every control to enable you to avoid muddying the sound by competing with other players. When playing alone, it can do amazing things, but it's easy to get carried away: people coming to see a solo musician expect to get the reduced sound, the purity of one player and their music. Trying to sound like a full band defeats the purpose.
Godin LGX - VG-99

alexmcginness

Quote from: Martin Turner on February 23, 2019, 10:44:03 AM
people coming to see a solo musician expect to get the reduced sound, the purity of one player and their music. Trying to sound like a full band defeats the purpose.

Ive been doing a solo gig since 1980. I used a drum machine and kicked bass pedals when I first started, and now use sequenced backing tracks and of course my VG-99. The people that hire me expect that \ill keep people in the club drinking and dancing. The odd musician has accused me of "cheating" and I always ask them for the official rule book that says using backing tracks is cheating, but theyve never brought a copy of the book to any of my gigs. For me and other solo guys, sounding like a whole band is the purpose. Pub gigs these days and especially the ones on the boats that I do, demand a wide variety of material plus a lot of interacting with the punters. The gigs are more about entertainment than straight music. If you can put on a show thats entertaining and has enough musicianship then the "purity of it" is a distant secondary consideration for people that come to party. I guess it just depends on the venue.

chrish

I saw Al DiMeola's band in Seattle when he was touring his "infinite desire" album.

I didn't know that they were using backing tracks until the drummer accidentally started the tape machine before everybody was ready.

Gigs only pay so much and every musician on stage is  another mouth to feed.

So I agree there are no rules when presenting music to the public.

Quote from: alexmcginness on February 24, 2019, 06:03:48 AM
Ive been doing a solo gig since 1980. I used a drum machine and kicked bass pedals when I first started, and now use sequenced backing tracks and of course my VG-99. The people that hire me expect that \ill keep people in the club drinking and dancing. The odd musician has accused me of "cheating" and I always ask them for the official rule book that says using backing tracks is cheating, but theyve never brought a copy of the book to any of my gigs. For me and other solo guys, sounding like a whole band is the purpose. Pub gigs these days and especially the ones on the boats that I do, demand a wide variety of material plus a lot of interacting with the punters. The gigs are more about entertainment than straight music. If you can put on a show thats entertaining and has enough musicianship then the "purity of it" is a distant secondary consideration for people that come to party. I guess it just depends on the venue.

Martin Turner

Points well made.

If you're being paid to play, you have to play what the person paying wants you for.

I've oscillated back and forwards on this for years. Generally, the older the audience, the more they seem to be interested in the full sound even if there's only one player. This includes using vocal harmonisers, drum tracks and everything. I've done those kinds of gigs, though I prefer playing with a band.

Millennials and Gen-Zs who were brought up on Ed Sheeran are asking for a sparser sound, at least in my experience.
Godin LGX - VG-99

chrish

Quote from: Martin Turner on February 24, 2019, 09:56:51 AM

Millennials and Gen-Zs who were brought up on Ed Sheeran are asking for a sparser sound, at least in my experience.
that would be an interesting thread topic onto itself.

I would think that the majority of every generation asks for what the marketing hype of the day directs them too.

Remember, even Disco music was popular at one time. ;)

Then there are those who seek the full sound experience.

Imo sound wise, nothing beats a full Orchestra of acoustic instruments and a large mixed voice choir  of well trained talented musicians performed in a hall designed for sound

aliensporebomb

I dunno.  I just do what I do and continue to persist in doing it.  If people like it, great.  If not, well there's other options for them.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.