QuiccoSound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI Controller

Started by Elantric, May 08, 2014, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/05/get-ready-wireless-midi-low-energy-bluetooth-hardware-coming/
by Peter Kirn
Bluetooth has changed.
You know the old Bluetooth experience. Assuming you got the device connected in the first place – already a bit of a challenge – you could look forward to dropped connectivity, slow transfers and high latency, and dead batteries.
But that was years ago; Bluetooth has evolved. New devices are easy to connect, consume very little power, and perform reliably. And that means there's no reason that a Bluetooth connection couldn't replace a cable when it comes to MIDI. Given that mobile devices are slim and light, it means finally using gadgets like the iPad the way they were connected – as mobile devices, not tied down with cable spaghetti.
Now a Japanese startup is poised to make the promise of the latest Bluetooth Low Energy tech into

QUICCO SOUND has posted their first image, and the buzz I'm hearing suggests this little gizmo could deliver. There's no English-language documentation yet, but we know that it's getting attention from a major Japanese business daily and they're starting crowd-funding.
Those two rectangles correspond to the MIDI in and out ports of your synth or other conventional MIDI instrument; plug them in, and it makes your device wireless. Then, you just need a tablet or phone app – or desktop – that can make the other end of the Bluetooth connection, and you're set. With a growing crop of great iPad step sequencers and the like appearing, there's some real possibility here. (We've been gawking at these at recent Berlin meetups of mobile app developers; in Berlin alone, there are already a couple of sequencers I'm eager to see released.)
Follow Quicco on their Facebook page:
QUICCO Mi.1
Thanks to Sebastian at Audiobus for the heads-up.

https://www.facebook.com/quiccosound?fref=photo
https://www.facebook.com/quiccosound/photos/a.205817826285542.1073741830.204365229764135/243081975892460/?type=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=208901215977203&set=vb.204365229764135&type=3&theater

===

Introducing mi.1

mi.1 wirelessly connects MIDI devices to iPhone and iPad.
Simply connect the mi.1 to your digital piano's MIDI ports.
The mi.1 interfaces directly to your iOS CoreMIDI applications.

Apple Bluetooth LE MIDI Compatibility
mi.1 supports Apple's Bluetooth LE MIDI protocol with iOS9. This makes it possible to connect directly to apps such as GarageBand.

No power adapter necessary
The ultra-low energy design of the mi.1 enables it to be powered by the small amount of current coming from the MIDI input and output ports. No power adapter or battery are necessary.

Compact & Long Lasting
The mi.1 is designed for a lifetime of use. Molded from a composite material the design insures longevity. The small footprint provides flexibility in placing your instrument wherever you like.

Low Latency
The latency is comparable to a wired connection using "Camera Connection Kit" on iOS8.

Specification
Product Name   Wireless MIDI Interface
Wireless technology   Bluetooth Low Energy
Bluetooth LE MIDI Profile   Apple Bluetooth LE MIDI (iOS 9)
Connectors   1 x MIDI IN (5pin-DIN)
1 x MIDI OUT (5pin-DIN)
Switch、Indicator   1 x Hall element Switch
1 x Magnet
1 x white LED
Power Supply   From MIDI Out 3.3V-5.0V
Compatible iOS devices   iPad (3rd, 4th), iPad Air2, iPad mini, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3,
iPhone(4s,5,5s, 6, 6plus, 6s, 6splus) iPod touch (5th, 6th)
Compatible OS   iOS8, iOS9, OSX (Yosemite, El Captain)
Firmware Update   On the air by using Piano Jukebox
iOS Apps for mi.1   mi.1 connect : bridges mi.1 and Core MIDI music apps
Piano JukeBox : Simple SMF player, firmware updater
Power consumption   7 mW (when MIDI OUT is 3.3 V)
25 mW (when MIDI OUT is 5 V)
http://quicco.co.jp/products/

[/i]

Elantric

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ficon.jp%2Farchives%2F6865&edit-text=

NAMM 2014: Bluetooth MIDI controller emerging electronic musical instrument maker from Japan, QUICCO SOUND under development "G.16"
QUICCO SOUND is venture company by two staff who had worked for a leading musical instrument manufacturer in Japan, was launched in July last year. Who one other person, was working in a leading manufacturer of musical instruments of Japan further added, it seems, have been developed in three people now.
Is the first product of QUICCO SOUND is "G.16", MIDI controller Bluetooth connection with 16 of the pad velocity / pressure support. On the right side of the pad, it is also equipped with the cursor keys and buttons of the touch sense correspondence of two, the user is able to freely control the MIDI device can be assigned a MIDI command any to each pad, corresponding to the Bluetooth You can. Not to mention, latency of Bluetooth communication is not to be worried about, such as program change or would not be interesting when you assign such as a MIDI note. The It also has the MIDI output terminal, to be directly connected to the MIDI device cables has become possible. Because it is a lithium-ion battery built-in, you do not need to connect the cables and power cord.
Can tell a major feature of the "G.16" and its design. Pad has become a finish that was well done as sore, "mono" lights up in a multi-color.
Actually QUICCO SOUND, is in cooperation with Miselu that made for iPad keyboard cover that became a hot topic by collecting funds in Kickstarter, the C.24, perfect for the slot of C.24 This "G.16" (On top of the keyboard of C.24, slot which can hold various peripherals to extend the functionality is equipped) It is designed to fit. It is C.24 it is not already on sale yet, but that it be used in combination with "G.16" is mean to function as a keyboard controller authentic considerably. Also look, the combination of the C.24 "G.16" is a fairly good feeling.

According to the staff of QUICCO SOUND, things thinks OSC also corresponds well as MIDI. Just when you were Ojama to QUICCO SOUND Booth, David Jikareri of Cycling '74 appeared and seemed curious as OSC controller for Max to "G.16".
Released in July, and have plans to cut the price of 10,000 yen "G.16". Since such thing in QUICCO SOUND, and have developed a variety of products in addition to the "G16", it is the place where I want to focus all means in the future as an electronic musical instrument manufacturer from Japan.

Yui

gumtown

Seems interesting, i assume bluetooth to midi wireless.
A novel way of getting people to raise $50,000.00 for development,
then selling the product for retail, how can they lose?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Elantric

QuoteA novel way of getting people to raise $50,000.00 for development,
then selling the product for retail, how can they lose?

This seems  to be the latest trend for product development - few folks use their own capitol for R&D these days

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/09/12/creating-dj-hardware-with-kickstarter-the-right-move-for-kmi's-quneo/

QuoteCreating DJ Hardware With Kickstarter: The Right Move For KMI's QuNeo?

POSTED BY KYLEE SWENSON ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2012
24 Comments
In 2012, Kickstarter—the most popular crowd-funding site—turned a handful of little-known entrepreneurs into millionaires. These innovators, game designers and artists came up with ideas, set dollar goals for their campaigns, and watched as strangers scrambled to throw money at them. How well does Kickstarter really work in the context of bringing DJ controllers and other hardware to market? Today we take an in-depth look at the story of Keith McMillen's QuNeo controller and the Kickstarter project that supported it.

One of the most talked-about Kickstarter campaigns is Pebble Technology's programmable wristwatch, which raked in an unprecedented $10.3 million dollars in funding (the goal was $100,000). But then came the hard part: manufacturing and shipping 85,000 watches. Like 75 percent of other technology- and design-related projects on Kickstarter (as reported by Bloomberg), Pebble Technology didn't hit their target date and hasn't yet delivered on their promises. As of September 5, the company hadn't announced a ship date for the Pebble watch, although their regular progress reports (featuring videos, photos, and FAQs) are somewhat reassuring for backers.

In January, another technology company successfully funded its Kickstarter campaign, but this one wasn't a startup. Keith McMillen, the founder of Keith McMillen Instruments (KMI), has built and marketed music gear for 30 years. In 2012, he decided to launch KMI's QuNeo 3D Multi-touch Pad Controller using crowd-funding.

"A lot times I'll develop an instrument and wait until it's finished to announce it, and that's safer from a PR/timing perspective," McMillen says. "But Kickstarter was fascinating, and it really did exemplify the viral capabilities of an Internet universe. A third of the supporters came in during the last 48 hours. John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin came in, and Herbie Hancock came in with eight hours to go." By the end date, the campaign brought in 678 backers and $165,914, blowing away KMI's $15,000 goal.

It helped that tech blogs such as Create Digital Music—as well as early praise from synth pioneer Tom Oberheim and musician Vernon Reid—ignited buzz about the QuNeo. The backers came running. "The potential to have a compact 'touch sensitive' controller was the last thing I felt I needed to control Ableton," says supporter Chris Blarsky (aka deathstarchris) from Denver, Co.

Based in Berkeley, Calif., KMI also attracted backers from as far as Istanbul, Turkey, including musician/sound designer Korhan Erel. "I prefer to be physically disconnected from the computer, especially the screen, which means controllers are essential for my playing," he says. "The QuNeo is in some ways more advanced than the iPad, as it is more tactile and offers the pressure dimension."

WRENCH IN THE MACHINE

After the QuNeo Kickstarter campaign closed, KMI hit the ground running to start production. The estimated ship date for the QuNeo was set for March, and a few lucky artist endorsees got their hands on the controller early, such as producer/rapper Thavius Beck.

Everything was going smoothly... at first. Then McMillen discovered that some of the "meatball, 4 cent components" were defective: "I called the manufacturer, and they go, 'Well, it can't be our components. We make 10 million of these every week.' So I did like seven different prototype runs and kept sending them units, and they wouldn't even look at them. Finally, at the end of March they said, 'You're right. The components are bad.' That took four months."

KMI's team took on the arduous task of replacing 350,000 parts. A few weeks later, they discovered that the replacement components were also bad. "It was just horrible," McMillen says. "My heart hit the ground, and they refused to even investigate."

So McMillen bought sample components from 10 other manufacturers, did more testing and prototype runs, and when he received the third batch of components from a new manufacturer, production started moving. "I've been building stuff a long time but have never seen a company treat customers like this," McMillen laments. "It was really frustrating because every experiment would take three to six weeks, and there was nothing to report."

It brings into question the ethics of manufacturing in China. "It's a land of great expansion," McMillen says:

"It's like the Wild West, and you're gonna run into problems. Some of the stuff that goes into the QuNeo can only be built there because they have the most sophisticated machinery. If I tried to build this stuff in North America, it's not even possible. So as a nation, we got ourselves into this, and there are pluses and minuses."

- too bad there are a few borderline scams there too. - Seems the Miselu C.24 wireless music keyboard for iPad - is  past due
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miselu/c24-the-music-keyboard-for-ipad

but they have a convincing list of issues which explain the delay
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miselu/c24-the-music-keyboard-for-ipad/posts

Yug

I've had my eye on the Mi.1 for a while now. If it works, it's going to be an awesome add-on; phone strapped onto guitar running something like TouchDAW to control all sorts of goodies in the GR55 or VG99. Or, even phone strapped to my foot to create virtual pedals. Can't wait  :)

Elantric

These are shipping now

Wireless MIDI Interface mi.1
by QUICCO SOUND  ($45)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PEFOOFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With mi.1, bidirectional wireless MIDI communication can be easily established between an iPhone/iPad and your own electronic music instrument. You can record your performance in an iOS App. You can turn your digital piano into a music player. Or you may find a novel way to bring new life into your beloved music instrument. Before making a purchase order, please refer to the mi.1 sizing information available at the Quicco Sound website (http://www.quicco.co.jp; locate "PRODUCTS" and then "MI.1") and make sure that your instrument has the required space around MIDI ports for installation.

http://www.quicco.co.jp/
http://www.quicco.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mi.1_OM_En_V3.pdf

https://itunes.apple.com/app/mi.1-connect/id924371262?mt=8

QuoteWhat's New in Version 1.02
- Fixed a bug that Virtual MIDI button and ON buttons in From side did not work correctly
- Prevents a sleeping of Bluetooth communication
- Contains new mi.1 firmware v1.0.2

Firmware v1.0.2
- Fixed a bug that omitted Note messages while receiving them with continuous data ( e.g. Pitch Bend, Control Change)
- Fixed a bug that did not receive SysEx messages longer than14 bytes

AMAZON REVIEWS

QuoteI used it to test varrious apps like MusicStudio, Thumbjam and Magellan JR on my Iphone ...
By M. Homan on January 4, 2015
Verified Purchase
Keep in mind that this is only day one but I am impressed. I ordered this on Prime on Friday and had it by 2pm Sunday. I set it up withing 10 mins using my 90's vintage Yamaha WT11 which is an midi synth that I use with my Yamaha WX11 wind controller. I used it to test varrious apps like MusicStudio, Thumbjam and Magellan JR on my Iphone 6 plus. I was worried about latency as with sound over Bluetooth it is like playing in Grand Canyon but with ear phones I didn't find latency and issue. Thumbjam responded to wind control of vol and pitch bend as good as IOS midi apps can. I did run into a problem with my BT7 battery power midi interface as it did not provide enough power. I tried it with a M-Audio usb interface and that had enought power so I think I can find a battery power midi interface to bump up the power. I will contact tech support to see if they have any suggestions but I think I can find a fix for this issue. Their web sit warned that it may not work on all equipment so I am not supprised to run into this. I had tired the PUC wifi midi IOS interface but took it back as it keep losing connection and it was too difficult to reconnect. I tried switching apps on and off and I did get it to lose connection but was very simple to reconnect. It did not lose connection while playing but time will tell. I also connected my Iphone to a bluetooth speaker at the same time that I had the BTLE connection going and it did work but the latency made that not a good solution for real time playing. I would give it a 10 out of 10 as the company has made the set up very simple, if you follow the directions, and I am not one to do that often. I read enough on the internet to make sure I followed every step. This will not work on an Ipad 2 and I have an Iphone 5 that I will test it on but I expect the same results that I have on the Iphone 6 plus. Using the app Apollo you can link both phones so you can trigger midi apps on both at the same time. Not sure about latency until I test it.

QuoteJust unboxed mine from amazon tonight and tested briefly. Super easy setup. Just had to find a powered MIDI port on one of my controllers - seems the RME Babyface MIDI is not powered. Ended up connecting to the MIDI I/O on my Behringer BCR-2000. Had it up and running with Ableton in about 5 minutes with heavy distraction from my 4-year-old asking me to play a video game with him. The connection seemed rock solid over a few minutes of testing. I was having a lot of trouble with drop-outs using wi-fi for the iPad MIDI, so the great performance of the QUICCO is a big relief, especially considering it's cheaper than the camera kit + USB interface!

About the only feature I'd like to see added is a dedicated power input other than the MIDI power (make the power brick optional or via micro USB to keep cost down). If the Babyface did not supply power, I have a feeling few audio interfaces supply powered MIDI ports. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of MIDI ports on other gear connected via USB. If you don't have a powered port available on a USB MIDI controller, you may still need a USB MIDI interface to connect to a computer DAW.

Elantric

Quicco Sound Mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI Controller and Jamup Pro on iPad

QUICCO SOUND mi.1  Wireless MIDI Interface was only just released to production in November 2014, and I just ordered one from Amazon for $45  - should be here Friday
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PEFOOFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
fast, reliable MIDI to/from iPad and computer DAW - without wires!
By Darryl Carstensen on December 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
Just unboxed mine from amazon tonight and tested briefly. Super easy setup. Just had to find a powered MIDI port on one of my controllers - seems the RME Babyface MIDI is not powered. Ended up connecting to the MIDI I/O on my Behringer BCR-2000. Had it up and running with Ableton in about 5 minutes with heavy distraction from my 4-year-old asking me to play a video game with him. The connection seemed rock solid over a few minutes of testing. I was having a lot of trouble with drop-outs using wi-fi for the iPad MIDI, so the great performance of the QUICCO is a big relief, especially considering it's cheaper than the camera kit + USB interface!

About the only feature I'd like to see added is a dedicated power input other than the MIDI power (make the power brick optional or via micro USB to keep cost down). If the Babyface did not supply power, I have a feeling few audio interfaces supply powered MIDI ports. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of MIDI ports on other gear connected via USB. If you don't have a powered port available on a USB MIDI controller, you may still need a USB MIDI interface to connect to a computer DAW.2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
fast, reliable MIDI to/from iPad and computer DAW - without wires!
By Darryl Carstensen on December 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
Just unboxed mine from amazon tonight and tested briefly. Super easy setup. Just had to find a powered MIDI port on one of my controllers - seems the RME Babyface MIDI is not powered. Ended up connecting to the MIDI I/O on my Behringer BCR-2000. Had it up and running with Ableton in about 5 minutes with heavy distraction from my 4-year-old asking me to play a video game with him. The connection seemed rock solid over a few minutes of testing. I was having a lot of trouble with drop-outs using wi-fi for the iPad MIDI, so the great performance of the QUICCO is a big relief, especially considering it's cheaper than the camera kit + USB interface!

About the only feature I'd like to see added is a dedicated power input other than the MIDI power (make the power brick optional or via micro USB to keep cost down). If the Babyface did not supply power, I have a feeling few audio interfaces supply powered MIDI ports. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of MIDI ports on other gear connected via USB. If you don't have a powered port available on a USB MIDI controller, you may still need a USB MIDI interface to connect to a computer DAW.

Elantric

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/11/10/mi-1-mi-1-connect-let-you-get-your-wireless-midi-on/

mi.1 + mi.1 connect Let You Get Your Wireless MIDI On
Posted on November 10, 2014 by synthhead
https://www.facebook.com/quiccosound/timeline

mi.1-connectQuicco Sound, creators of the mi.1 Wireless MIDI interface, have released mi1 connect – an iOS app that lets you wirelessly connect with your iOS music software.

It's a free download from the App Store.

The mi.1 wireless MIDI interface, below, was introduced earlier in the year. It a pair of MIDI plugs that have a built-in Bluetooth transmitter, so you can plug them into any MIDI keyboard and turn it into a wireless MIDI controller:

mi.1_midi-interface

Here's a demo of the mi.1 system in action:

Here's what they have to say about the app:

-What's mi.1?
mi.1 is a Wireless MIDI interface that connects your MIDI device and iPhone/iPad.

-What's mi.1 connect?
mi.1-connect is an application that bridges your mi.1 inserted MIDI device and Core MIDI application on your iPhone/iPad.
For example you can play GarageBand with your Digital Piano by sending MIDI through the mi.1-connect.
You may also use this app to connect your MIDI device with your MIDI sequencer application, to record/play your performance.

Firmware update of mi.1 and device name options will also be available via this application.

The mi.1 was originally available for $35 via an IndieGoGo campaign. Based on the developer site, it looks like it will get US, European & Japanese distribution in Nov 2014.

If any readers have used the mi.1, leave a comment and let us know what you think of them!

This entry was posted in Apple iPad, iPhone Music Software, MIDI Interfaces and tagged a, Quicco Sound, wireless, wireless MIDI by synthhead. Bookmark the permalink.

16 THOUGHTS ON "MI.1 + MI.1 CONNECT LET YOU GET YOUR WIRELESS MIDI ON"
effegee on November 10, 2014 at 11:44 pm said:
So far I've used it to 1) play my Disklavier from my iPad via MIDI files in the "Sweet MIDI" app, 2) play my Jupiter-4 from the iPad with the StepPolyArp app, 3) sync my TR-8 with the BassLine app (yes, there is some noticeable latency at this point)

Strange coincidence that my iPhone stopped steaming Bluetooth audio in my car after I had the "mi.1 Connect "app running in the background (by accident)... Bluetooth audio is still broken. Hmm...

There's initial promise, but it's a work in progress.

On a side note, the form factor isn't perfect for all situations. For example, the Disklavier's MDI jacks are oriented in such a way that the mi.1's cord is facing up, making it impossible to plug it in. To connect, I've had to plug in a short MIDI cord connected to a dual female DIN adapter which in turn is connected to the mi.1. Not so elegant, but still functional.

Daniel Brunelle
on November 11, 2014 at 8:47 am said:
How reliable was the clock sync? Would this be stable enough for wireless slaving of two ableton laptops?

Masproduct on November 10, 2014 at 11:50 pm said:
Question, could I buy 2 of these say for my a4 and rythm and control both hardware devices by ipad? No computer, no internet, no other cords, if so I'm in ????

Sean on November 11, 2014 at 1:27 am said:
Any one know where you can actually buy the mi.1 – I want to buy it but can't actualy find it for sale – was it just a one-off run?

Leow on November 11, 2014 at 2:51 am said:
The Quicco Sound site says it will be available for online purchase sometime this month. No more details, though.
I bought one during their IndieGoGo campaign. You have to have the app before it will do anything (apparently they got it working with the new MIDI over Bluetooth, but it's not included in the current firmware). The app is a little buggy at the moment and crashed a few times. But I was able to send MIDI to and from my keyboard once I got things set up.
The company seems to be working hard to iron out the wrinkles.

Playmusic on November 11, 2014 at 3:19 am said:
It's a great product!
I can use it with MAC (CoreAudio/MIDI)?

Carsten
on November 13, 2014 at 4:08 am said:
It does currently not work on MacOS X – apparently app promised, but they are clearly struggling with the iOS app. When it finally got approved and arrived today, I managed to make connection work from iPhone 5S to Korg piano, but not the other way and after trying to connect with iPad, the device died and refuses to connect. Also never managed to get the firmware update to work. This is why Apple's strict approval process is excellent, only this time not excellent enough ;-) Great idea through!

Sebastian Dittmann on November 11, 2014 at 6:42 am said:
I really like mine. Totally does what it's supposed to do and next firmware update should make it compatible with Apple's Bluetooth LE MIDI.

Flux302 on November 11, 2014 at 7:54 am said:
I have it, have been testing it a good bit but will wait to do a review after the next firmware update. Currently it's quite buggy with drops, latency and connect issues. The form factor makes it a very tight fit on most midi ports. I've plugged it into Ultranova mpc2kxl and a m audio midi keyboard, it's a tight fit on all of of em. My concern more is about about the inconsistency of the app. It also doesn't work with native ios bluetooth midi just yet.

effegee on November 11, 2014 at 9:10 am said:
It would be nice if there were a forum where users could discuss... The loss of Bluetooth audio is bugging me.

wolf on November 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm said:
I want to know if it will work w/ PC

Joe M on November 11, 2014 at 2:52 pm said:
I've had it a few days.

The iPad app is pretty simple, in a good way. It hasn't crashed and connecting to the device has been without issue.

When sequencing hardware with the iPad, midi to my hardware synths, It's been pretty smooth. I didn't check to see how the clock was delay wise, but the timing seemed accurate for a lead. I didn't use a drum machine yet to really check the swing/jitter.

When using a hardware midi keyboard to control iPad apps I did experience hung notes quite often. There is a new firmware coming any day they said with a number of fixes and new features (like multiple devices) so I'll give them a bit to sort that out. They were rejected from the Apple store a few times so they're a bit behind on the firmware itself I think but they've been very vocal to the customers about releases, nearly daily communication on status.

Mark H on November 11, 2014 at 3:28 pm said:
This is essentially what I posted on the Quicco Sound facebook page. The documentation for installing the firmware is fine now. However, they need to provide some documentation about the app in general. For instance after playing around and figured out that the app must be running and connected to the mi.1. I didn't need to do anything else for the Alchemy, Sunrizer, SoundPrism Pro, Addictive Synth and Crystal Synth apps to start receiving (and sending if capable) midi data from/to the mi.1. These app's names show up in the boxes in the mi.1 connect app when they are running. GarageBand is a little different though. To get GarageBand to receive the midi data I had to turn on the VirtualMidi buttons at the top of the app screen for in and out. Then it started working fine as well for GarageBand. The only thing that isn't working yet is connecting to my MacBook Pro. They have confirmed that it shouldn't be working yet but will in an upcoming firmware release. I like using it with my ipad but I'm looking forward to being able to use it with my mac as well.

nieruchomo?ci wroc?aw bez po?redników on November 12, 2014 at 9:33 am said:
Do you have any video of that? I'd want to find out some additional information.

messenger on November 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:
Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post. Many thanks for providing this info.

effegee on November 13, 2014 at 12:10 am said:
Bluetooth audio issue resolved. (I had to disconnect the car battery to reset car's system to factory settings.) ...and I can't reproduce the issue.

Elantric

https://www.facebook.com/quiccosound?fref=photo

3 months have passed since mi.1 launched.
Unfortunately we have found there are some MIDI instruments that mi.1 does not work with.
We have made a list of incompatible devices of mi.1. We have also listed MIDI instruments that can work with mi.1 in the same sheet.

We will update this sheet frequently.
mi.1 does not work with these devices because they do not provide electric power from their MIDI out port.
mi.1 will need an extra circuit to work with them. We will share the information of the circuit board in near future

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mYRWBT_WT1BX2bG30O6WJ7EzYZyRlLVrkLB3zK27Dl0/edit#gid=0

Only hurdle is the QUICCO SOUND mi.1 gets its power from the connected devices "MIDI OUT Jack"  - similar to the MIDI Solutions Products, and the GR-55 is marginal in the supply current available from its MIDI OUT Jack. Many users of the MIDI Solutions  Processor+ who lack DIY hardware skills resort to using the MIDI Solutions Power Adapter  here:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

====

The mi.1 connect App has finally been approved and has become available for download on the App Store.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mi.1-connect/id924371262...
Let us remind again, It is necessary to do the Firmware Update. Please see the instruction manual and the video bellow.
Firmware Update Manual
http://www.quicco.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mi.1_Firmware_Update_Procedure.pdf
Video

concordal

Quote from Elantric:
Quote. . . GR-55 is marginal in the supply current available from its MIDI OUT Jack . . .

Quote from Quicco:
QuoteWe have made a list of incompatible devices of mi.1.

So far the GR-55 is still not listed in Quicco's spreadsheet.  That doesn't necessarily mean it is compatible . . . it just means we don't know.

Meanwhile some of the reviews on Amazon are less than encouraging, eg:
QuoteDon't expect low latency though.  Bluetooth currently simply can't deliver MIDI between devices at an acceptable playable latency (<10ms). I'm not sure what the latency is, but I'd guess it's around 40-50ms. Way too much for serious pianists/keyboardists.

Elantric

Since the GR-55 does not respond to MIDI Note events, who cares about latency.

The issue with Quicco , it is only a wireless MIDI Option for IOS DEvices.

So it's good for MIDIdesigner Lemur control of 5 pin MIDI Hardware.

Makes a great wireless iPad control for Antares ATG-1

concordal

Quote from: Elantric on March 13, 2015, 12:23:26 PM
Since the GR-55 does not respond to MIDI Note events, who cares about latency.

Good point, Elantric

Makes a great wireless iPad control for Antares ATG-1

Would it be suitable for setlistmaker to change patches on the GR-55?

drbill

The issue with Quicco , it is only a wireless MIDI Option for IOS DEvices.

BTW, they've released their 2.0 firmware that allows you to skip their app and just use Bluetooth MIDI directly. So it works with your Mac if it supports Bluetooth 4.0LE.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

concordal

Many thanks drbill and Elantric.  I'll try to get one sent to Canada.

Elantric

What I really wish is that they update the Quicco Mi.1 so if i buy TWO  - I could "pair" both together and have a bi directional wireless MIDI I/O connection between any two pieces of gear with 5-pin MIDI I/O  - without a Computer, without an iPad.

https://techinmusiced.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/mi-1-wireless-midi-interface/

drbill

Quote from: Elantric on March 16, 2015, 03:02:00 PM
What I really wish is that they update the Quicco Mi.1 so if i buy TWO  - I could "pair" both together and have a bi directional wireless MIDI I/O connection between any two pieces of gear with 5-pin MIDI I/O  - without a Computer, without an iPad.

I was hoping for that, too, and thought that they were planning to do it. The have told me that this will not happen.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Elantric

I will be testing the Quicco Sound Mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI Controller as a path for iPad wireless communications with the Antares ATG-1 pedal this weekend

whippinpost91850

Elantric

Update -

I performed the firmware 2.0 update to the Quicco Mi.1 BlueTooth MIDI I/O device   - followed the update procedure - but now neither my IPad Air or  iPhone 6 Plus can "see" the Mi.1 as a BlueTooth device  - still testing 

http://www.quicco.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mi.1_Firmware_Update_Procedure.pdf

drbill

I got an IOGear BT 4.0 dongle and applied the (3rd party) Continuity Activation Tool and was able to communicate with the mi.1 between my 2009 MacBook Pro and my Kemper!

Next, I'll try the Behringer foot controller and see if I can wire them up via the Mac and skip some cables.

UPDATE:

No luck with that. I can see both devices on the Mac and connect them via MidiPipe, but they don't do their negotiation to get the 2-way comms working. The FCB sends the right PC messages and I can change performances, but the expression pedals & other switches don't work and the FCB does not display the performance number.

I think this might work OK with the Kemper remote, though, since it will connect over ethernet and I could use the mi.1 to transmit PC to the Mac.

UPDATE 2:
I take that back. The CC stuff works as far as sending the commands to the Kemper (the volume changes, tuner comes on, effects toggle), it just is not responding back to the pedal.

UPDATE 3:
I forgot to mention a major hassle: you have to go in the Audio/Midi Setup and connect manually. Every time. Argh. I keep getting less & less happy with this. It was a cute idea but just seems not quite ready for prime time.
GP-10, KPA

thebrushwithin

QuoteI performed the firmware 2.0 update to the Quicco Mi.1 BlueTooth MIDI I/O device   - followed the update procedure - but now neither my IPad Air or  iPhone 6 Plus cant "see" the Mi.1 as a BlueTooth device  - still testing 

Any luck with this? Thanks.

Elantric

None.

It only connected once, before the firmware update

Now it's very dead
I suspect I must seek an RMA with Quicco Sound USA

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30UXOKD4EI8Y7/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00PEFOOFI&channel=detail-glance&m=A2KE2BD2D5WBAZ&nodeID=&store=miscellaneous

QuoteI too had this same problem. I plugged the unit in initially and it seemed to make a connection, but then the instruction manual said to update the firmware right away. After doing that the unit never worked. I am returning the unit I purchased and getting a new one. I plan on trying to use the mi.1 without the firmware update.

https://ja-jp.facebook.com/quiccosound

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.jp%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB00OZBI8KE%2Fref%3Das_li_ss_tl%3Fie%3DUTF8%26camp%3D247%26creative%3D7399%26creativeASIN%3DB00OZBI8KE%26linkCode%3Das2%26tag%3Dfractaldecojp-22&edit-text=

Elantric

http://www.dtmstation.com/archives/51935581.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dtmstation.com%2Farchives%2F51935581.html&edit-text=

Evolving Bluetooth MIDI. Of QUICCO SOUND mi.1 is to a level that does not feel the latency
April 26, 2015 10:30
iPad / iPhone MIDI
   Add this entry to your Hatena :: Bookmark
Do you know I Bluetooth MIDI? As can be imagined from its name, Bluetooth that can be wireless connection (to be precise Bluetooth Low Energy) is a technology that fly the MIDI in. The devices that are currently In response to this, of the introduction was QUICCO SOUND (Kikko sound) in previously DTM station of the article also mi.1 of but is the reality not only about C.24 of and Miselu, and formal of MIDI While be adopted as a standard is in the count down, it has been rapidly evolved into what is available.

" the world's first power unnecessary wireless MIDI the original Yamaha engineers who will develop, mi.1 "in the article that, it was to introduce a prototype of mi.1 did just that a year ago. While I was moving sufficiently firm at this point, the fact that there was a fire on the latency. If it is connected to the sound source on the iOS, it was there about 30 to 40msec of delay to sound is heard after playing the keyboard. It is this even after mi.1 has been officially released, resolved I did not, but the fact that the firmware of last month mi.1 became v2.0.0, has evolved in to a level where you do not feel the latency It is. Here not only mi.1 single technology, evolution and the standard itself that Bluetooth MIDI, such as the evolution of iOS side, I think I like are complex improved. Here what is happening, I tried to asked to talk to Hiroshiishin's Representative Director CEO of QUICCO SOUND is a developer of mi.1.

I've heard about Bluetooth MIDI Hiroshi Isin's Representative Director CEO of QUICCO SOUND
--mi.1, by March firmware update, it is now v2.0.0, on the experience, I think you have become much better reaction. Will is this what is happening?
Hiroi: Wired (to iPad Lightning-USB camera adapter to connect a MIDI keyboard) GarageBand people using I think that many. And, although voice is not heard first that the reaction speed and dissatisfaction, in this update, you can now achieve the same rate of reaction and this. Difference by the application there is, but it has become clearly better as compared with the conventional.

mi.1 by firmware update to v2.0.0

- Yeah? At once but it has evolved to there! Do you do such how much I specific latency?
Hiroi: In Bluetooth LE, the next Once you once send the packet group and we are communicating at a distance as after 30ms, that. This interval has become a cause of latency (pronounced delay) and jitter. This interval is from being determined by the iPad side, but with considerably narrowed the gap in iOS 8. Also the Bluetooth MIDI supported by OS level, without going through the mi.1 connect app, by CoreMIDI apps and mi.1 is able to communicate directly, it's narrowed as latency can experience. Actual latency will come differently by the application, but that was early and by far the KORG of Module 16 ~ 17 ms in. And from this value by actually put the MIDI signal to mi.1, is the time to iPad audio is output. It was almost the same measurement result as if you pronounce GarageBand wired.

mi.1 skeleton model that I purchased in crowdfunding

- Certainly, discomfort It is not at all. Come to think of it, I think has also changed the way of connection?
Hiroi: Yes, is the app to bridge the mi.1 and sound source application in v1 Mi.1 Connect it was necessary. Since this has been a form of bridge to iOS of Virtual MIDI, it was necessary application side corresponds to the Virtual MIDI. However, in v2, it is no longer necessary to make this mi.1 connect background work. When you connect with Bluetooth MIDI, in order to become visible as a normal MIDI devices from iOS, and it became available in Core MIDI support of all apps.

Using the GarageBand connection with mi.1 and Bluetooth MIDI

- In other words, it is that it becomes the same treatment and the MIDI device to be connected in the Lightning terminal, yet reaction got better. It is not groundbreaking me it! However, you may have thought the little strange to actually using them. For example, if you connect as a function of GarageBand, and I then are connected to also drop the GarageBand. What are you made ??me this?
Hiroi: Actually because it is a connection to the iOS rather than a connection to the application called GarageBand, it is the appropriate thing but the "setting" of iOS would otherwise. When you connect, are registered in the OS as a MIDI device named "mi.1 Bluetooth", also makes it possible to select from other MIDI-compatible apps. Therefore, it's such not continue to lead even dropped the GarageBand.

You can connect in the same way even in such bs-16i

- I see, but I had become so! By the way, in addition to as the application that has the function of connecting Bluetooth MIDI of GarageBand, bs-16i , it seems Module of KORG is compatible, do you There are other?
Hiroi: otherwise also is a free app Midimittr , WebMIDI Browser , Piano Diary It is possible to connect from such. However, for users, the point troublesome there is one. It once, when you turn off the power, is that no such Hara will not have to reconnect manually. Normal Bluetooth device, that is, such as a keyboard and speakers, will automatically reconnect when you discover the device pairing ending, but, it has not been able to yet. Since such should originally be, if I could solve the problem, it is scheduled to correspond by firmware updates.

mi.1 connect becomes unnecessary after you update the firmware in the iOS 8

- By the way, do a bridge application mi.1 connect will the good believe it is no longer required?
Hiroi: Because the corresponding as OS to Bluetooth MIDI is a iOS 8 and later, iOS 7 users I think you'll be considered as an application for using the mi.1. On the other hand, but I was also positioned as a tool to update the firmware of mi.1, this does not correspond to the update after the v2.0.0. So an app that Piano JukeBox with also update feature since v2 in May mid it will free distribution. It worked also graphics, such as vocaloid first Monstars is the concept of application of "alter your home piano to jukebox" in the joint development with Mr.. You have pre-300 songs or more of classic songs are available, but you can play SMF the user transfer.

Future firmware update function is also responsible for SMF playback app, Piano JukeBox

- Well, this jukebox app, it is quite cool. It could use as a MIDI player software regardless of the update.
Hiroi: Although we will continue even update the future, in this time of v2.0.0 will not participate is another useful feature. It is a place to say the specification of iOS side rather than a function of mi.1, but for a single iOS device, you can now be connected to mi.1 multiple units at the same time. We can confirm that you can connect at the same time up to four in iOS 8.

Connect to mi.1 in MIDI studio feature of Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite

--mi.1 and iOS, but we found that you can connect with Yosemite, what about the that the connection between Windows is?
Hiroi: Although currently is Bluetooth MIDI, Apple own local standards, and this is the standard specification of the MIDI standard as it is, was decided in the MMA and AMEI that. Since its in place had also joined those of Microsoft and Google, of being mounted as a function of Windows and Android in the not too distant future, we expect .... Further, since the Bluetooth MIDI the specifications of Apple has been published, and I think if possible to make better the Bluetooth MIDI equipment compatible Windows apps and Android apps general programmers.

It plans to connect also possible to in the near future mi.1 each other. In, the left side of the adapter!?

- By all means, so good a simple system, you want me to make. Worrisome another or can be connected with each other mi.1, it is that. Certainly Mac and iPad, it might be useful can be connected to the iPhone, and musical instruments to each other without a computer as a wireless MIDI will be able to wireless connectivity, dramatically but convenience is I think to be improved, so that can be such a thing Suka?
Hiroi: I do not support the current v2.0.0, we have received requests from many people. The Bluetooth device There are two roles that central and peripheral. IOS devices and Mac as the Central is currently, but has become a structure that mi.1 is connected as a peripheral, since has become a system that can also be a hardware to the Central mi.1, a possibility that can respond You have to. But we also its new device that mi.1u before are preparing to try released around this summer.

But still there is a possibility that the design changes, which can be connected to the USB-MIDI equipment mi.1u

What is --mi.1u!?
Hiroi: This is Bluetooth MIDI of USB connection. Now, I think the device is often no MIDI terminals Even though MIDI. DTM around the product, has become common to connect a USB or by the keyboard in sound source. So, we adapt the device of the USB connection to the Bluetooth MIDI that a mi.1u.

Connect the mi.1u the USB-AC adapter to bunching. If you like the USB connection MIDI sound module MIDI is to fly in the Bluetooth

- It me, or is not it very convenient! Look but has become AC adapter and the perfect size for the iPhone, and I think is gonna be this mi.1u itself becomes the host?
Hiroi: That's right. Since it is supplied from here also the power supply as a USB host, musical instrument of the USB bus drive will power also doubles as by a single cable. For the design, although the prototype has been in cube where the AC adapter aware of the iPhone, then you completely different shape of the adapter in Europe, it will also enter significantly change by considering using the product in mobile battery. Of price equal to or mi.1 to, it is where you are looking to cheaper than it if possible.

When mi.1 also mi.1u also be connected to the KORG Module, can you show a fast reaction that latency is not worried at all

- That is about 4,000 yen? Once it is out, it is immediately buying!
Hiroi: Thank you. We would like to established a development and production system luck as who can use to everyone as soon as possible. Please have come forward to.

- It is fun. Thank you for your time today.

[Price Check]
? Amazon ? Mi.1

[Related Information]
QUICCO SOUND Homepage

Tags: mi.1 Bluetooth BluetoothMIDI QUICCOSOUND Kikko Sound

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dtmstation.com%2Farchives%2F51935581.html&edit-text=