GT100 - recording and triggering samples with MIDI

Started by nervoteso, November 10, 2014, 01:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nervoteso

does anyone know if i can use gt100 with ipad or a pc using guitar to midi conversion? i mean using sinth and piano from garageband or studio one etc.

gumtown

Yes, but only monophonic (one string at a time), for PC you need either USB driver installed or a USB/Midi device.
For iPad, you will need the camera connection kit and a USB <> MIDI Cable, there is no USB driver for IOS iPad.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

nervoteso

Elantric

Quoteso i can't play chords??

Correct!

QuoteFor iPad, you will need the camera connection kit and a USB device, there is no USB driver for IOS iPad.

Since none of the other Boss / Roland units have functional USB Class Compliant "MIDI over USB" -you will need a separate USB to 5pin DIN MIDI cable which is USB Class Complaint  required for use with the iPad 

modalmojo

Gentlemen,

How's the guitar to midi monophonic tracking?  Is it on par with Boss GP-10?

I am interested in getting GT-001, so I suppose the midi functionality is identical to GT-100. 

Thanks in advance. 

FarleyUK

Hi all,

I've started up a 3-piece band, and want to record and trigger guitar samples (i.e. backing chords during the solos) using the GT100. I've never ever tried this before, so am a total noob - can anyone please point me in the direction of what I would need to get in order to do this on the GT100?

I am already using the MIDI to link to a JVM when switching channels.

Thank you!

Elantric

On GT-001 / GT-100 Rev2 You can only trigger one note at a time over MIDI

You need a hex PU and 13 pin cable into a Roland /Boss processor that support Guitar to MIDI with GK 13 pin input to get chords to play on a External MIDI Tone Module.

Search YouTube

"GT-100 Guitar to MIDI

or
"GT-001 Guitar to MIDI"

! No longer available
Quick Look At Boss Gt-100 V2 Guitar to Midi Addition.

shawnb

This is a broad topic, actually.  There are many ways you can go...

If you're looking for backing tracks, a looper may be more appropriate.  I'd start off by watching videos of various loopers discussed here.  One example in actin (watch the whole vid for an excellent lesson):

If you really wanted to trigger samples by midi notes generated from your guitar you'd need (a) something to generate the midi notes (sounds like the GT-100 does this) and (b) something to play them - such as Ableton Live's session view or Reaper/Playtime.  There was a project called Thinkplay recently that did this with the FTP.  In this mode, you're talking about bring a DAW with you, more like an EDM DJ: 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp